Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - One more on "no" and words that point

One more on "no" and words that point

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

One more on "no" and words that point

Postby Diggity » Fri 03.18.2005 9:41 pm

OK sorry for so many of these but this is what I am studying right now...

I know that "How much is that?" is Sore wa ikura desu ka.
I know that "How much is that wallet?" is Sono saifu wa ikura desu ka.

Sore is used without a noun and Sono has to have a noun follow it. So here is the question...

How would I say: That bicycle is mine.
Would I use - Sono watashi no jitensha wa desu.

Or would I use - Sore wa watashi no jitensha desu.
As in That (one) bicycle is mine.

My gut tells me to use the second example.

Also if I am trying to point at something and simply say the phrase "That is mine." What would I say?

Watashi no are wa desu.

That was all I could come up with. If someone could explain how to use possesion and pointer words together I would really appreciate it.

Arigatougozaimasu!
Diggity

RE: One more on "no" and words that point

Postby Opgots » Sat 03.19.2005 12:02 am

To say, "That Bicycle is mine" is very similar to your second example.

The particle "wa" is probably one of the more key parts of the expression, rather than a token particle.

Your second example says: "Sore wa watashi no jitensha desu."
Which when translated into English ideomatics, would be "That bike is mine." As will be explained after this, it literally means some to the lines of, "As for that, it is my bike."

"Wa" is commonly thought of as solely a "topic marker." In essence this is true. But it is the theme of the overall thought. So the sentence, "Sore wa watashi no jitensha desu" would say something to the tone of, "As for that, It is my bike.", as stated earlier. To say something a little more literal when translated English, it would be best to say "Sono jiensha wa watashi no desu." (As for that bike, it is mine. OR: That Bike is mine.) Its best not to be repetitive and say "jitensu" twice, unless you want to be totally correct.

As for the phrase, "That is mine.", you could say, "Sore wa watashi no desu." (As for that, it is mine.) Glad to be of service in any.

Gambatte kudasai.
-------------
Nemuritai...

The pleasure of a dream is in its fantasy. If it ever comes true, it was never a dream.
Opgots

Postby hihlordjp » Sat 03.19.2005 12:03 am

Diggity wrote:
How would I say: That bicycle is mine.
Would I use - Sono watashi no jitensha wa desu.

Or would I use - Sore wa watashi no jitensha desu.
As in That (one) bicycle is mine.

My gut tells me to use the second example.

Also if I am trying to point at something and simply say the phrase "That is mine." What would I say?

Watashi no are wa desu.

That was all I could come up with. If someone could explain how to use possesion and pointer words together I would really appreciate it.

Arigatougozaimasu!

Regarding your pair of examples regarding your bicycle... Here are two sentences that'll work:

1. その自転車は私のです。
Sono jitensha wa watashi no desu.
2.それは私の自転車です。
Sore wa watashi no jitensha desu.

The second sentence you already mentioned. Look at the first sentence and look back at your example. Try to tell me what's wrong with it (I've gone into one-to-one teaching mode, sorry :p)

And, from my example, you see the construction "watashi no desu". That can be a sentence in itself which means "(It) is mine". So, to say "That is mine.", you say "Are/Sore wa watashi no desu." :)
俺様は何時か此の地球の帝王に成るぞ!
...ジョウダンだよ。ヘヘ ^^;;

「君という光が私を見つける // 真夜中に」-- 「光」という歌より(歌手:宇多田ヒカル)
hihlordjp

Postby Diggity » Sat 03.19.2005 1:47 am

Excellent examples...

I did not know that you can use (watashi/anata) "no" desu...

My Genki textbook has said that "no" is a very versatile particle. I thought that it had to be used (for possesion) has an: object "no" object... Watashi (no) hon - my book..... nihongo (no) gakusee.... japanese student.

Watashi no desu... is an object "no" VERB... which isn't done in eigo. (And i know to learn a language NEVER compare it to your own.)

Since this is a new concept to me can someone further explan this to me.
Diggity

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems