Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - In the US Army???

In the US Army???

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

In the US Army???

Postby sgtkwol » Sat 01.07.2006 5:18 pm

Free language software article http://www4.army.mil/ocpa/read.php?story_id_key=8016

It's easy, log in to AKO, click the + sign next to my education, click on E-learning. Rossetta stone is the near the top of this page, sign up and download.
sgtkwol

RE: In the US Army???

Postby LaughingMan » Sat 01.07.2006 6:01 pm

I'm not in the army, but I'm curious to see exactly how effective this teaching method is to languages that are very different from English, i.e. Japanese and Korean. In the article, it does say that the software teaches basic language skills, so the idea doesn't seem completely farfetched.

How effective is the program in teaching such things?
「このノートに名前を書かれた人間は死ぬ」
LaughingMan

Postby sgtkwol » Sat 01.07.2006 8:08 pm

Since I am in that category it is great for me. The first lessons start at Level 1, Unit 1, Lesson 1, so I have no idea how advanced it gets. When you "miss" you have to earn those back with "hits", so it forces you to learn what you miss. You can do speach & reading, and both of them exclusively. There is also a section that grades you at pronunciation. The last section "typing" is all romaji, so I pretty much leave it alone.
sgtkwol

Postby sgtkwol » Mon 01.09.2006 2:39 pm

Update...Level 1 goes to Unit 19 with 10 lessons each. I don't know if extra Levels are available to me, or when I would get to them. If you do it right, you won't be expecting unrealistic results, like fluency in a few months or anything like that. Another nice thing is that the only things in English(or your native language) are the menus, the lessons themselves are illustrations. instead of saying "many flowers" would be 何 "can't remember the counter" の花 it is an illustration of many flowers. I can say that it is merely a suplement and sites like these give a good pre-cursor to it all. Plus you can't forget Kanji, and with that you have to keep in mind that it takes years for native Japanese to learn.
Last edited by sgtkwol on Mon 01.09.2006 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sgtkwol

Postby coco » Mon 01.09.2006 3:12 pm

おもしろい情報をありがとうございます。:)
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips