Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Suggestion

Suggestion

Spotted any errors or found anything that doesn't work?

Suggestion

Postby appleraja » Sat 01.14.2006 11:07 pm

hey, a lot of people post here every day and sometimes its hard for me to find my old posts, is it possible to have an otpion of me to find my old posts, sometimes i ask question and when i go back to that forum the topic is lost in the hundreds of other topics made.
appleraja

RE: Suggestion

Postby leoo » Sat 01.14.2006 11:55 pm

its a good idea (though I might suggest in the meantime that you bookmark the pages with your questions and just keep them in a folder in your browser).

but its a good idea. search options are always helpful.
leoo

Postby zengargoyle » Sun 01.15.2006 12:01 am

if you're interested in the threads that you started, you can use the View Recent Threads page. the link is also at the top of the Discussion Forum page. if you select 'My' in the dropdown box you can easily find threads that you started.

there are plans to provide a way to view all threads in which you have posted (as opposed to just the ones you started) but i haven't had the time to get it finished. :)
zengargoyle

Postby Infidel » Sun 01.15.2006 12:24 am

zengargoyle wrote:

there are plans to provide a way to view all threads in which you have posted (as opposed to just the ones you started) but i haven't had the time to get it finished. :)

/swoon.
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby clay » Sun 01.15.2006 7:02 am

Everybody, thank Zengargoyle for all his hard programming work! Thanks to him, the whole content management software (including the forum) is kept up-to-date and with these fun extras too!
clay
Site Admin

Postby appleraja » Sun 01.15.2006 12:33 pm

thnx zengargoyle, just curious how long has this function been on the forum i nevre noticed it
appleraja

Postby AJBryant » Sun 01.15.2006 12:52 pm

My favoirte feature in some other forums is "new posts since last visit" -- when you select it, all the threads that have had any activity since you were last there, pop up. Makes things very easy. :)

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby zengargoyle » Sun 01.15.2006 9:50 pm

AJBryant wrote:
My favoirte feature in some other forums is "new posts since last visit" -- when you select it, all the threads that have had any activity since you were last there, pop up. Makes things very easy. :)

me too! in fact, that's why i wrote the View Recent Threads page. that's what it does by default. :D the [url=
http://www.thejapanesepage.com/forum/superviewhelp.php]Help Page[/url] tries to explain everything, but while i can hack things up pretty easily, writing clear documentation is *hard*. ;)

also, i think there's still a little bug in the page, it never seems to work for the second page of results (> 20 new posts). i think that when you hit the second page the server thinks "hey, he was just here a minute ago and there's nothing new...". :(
zengargoyle

Postby mandolin » Sun 01.15.2006 11:44 pm

Hm.. it might have something to do with the fact that it checks against the cookie which logs the last time you were here.

Instead, are you able to make it so it -actually- checks which threads you've read? I'm not versed in networking, so I don't know how difficult this is (loads of cookies? Different kind of cookie?).

I just know it'd help me out a lot if it checked that way. Because the cookie expires/refreshes what.. every 10 minutes? So if I start browsing the forum, walk away for 10 min (like to pull two fighting children apart and give a lecture... :P ), then come back, it thinks I've read everything and I frequently miss posts (yes, I read -everything-)
mandolin

Postby ashitaka » Mon 01.16.2006 12:32 am

i thought you only had a son. i have to pull apart 3 and give a lecture.(not mine though my children would never fight, at least that i know of)
ashitaka

Postby Infidel » Mon 01.16.2006 1:44 am

probably the son brought over a couple friends.
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby mandolin » Mon 01.16.2006 2:44 am

Last off topic on it... I have 2, a son and a daughter. I only talked about my son in that other thread cos it was about school, and my girl is only 4. She starts school this August. :)
mandolin

Postby zengargoyle » Wed 01.18.2006 7:06 am

mandolin wrote:
Hm.. it might have something to do with the fact that it checks against the cookie which logs the last time you were here.

Instead, are you able to make it so it -actually- checks which threads you've read? I'm not versed in networking, so I don't know how difficult this is (loads of cookies? Different kind of cookie?).

heh, new lemma: any sufficiently enhanced web forum software approches reimplementation of the usenet Network News Transport Protocol (NNTP). :D

it's sorta hard to explain, but if you add a cookie for tracking what needs to be read, by the time you get all of the corner cases covered... you end up with the same thing as last-visited time. except maybe with a longer interval between updates...

I just know it'd help me out a lot if it checked that way. Because the cookie expires/refreshes what.. every 10 minutes? So if I start browsing the forum, walk away for 10 min (like to pull two fighting children apart and give a lecture... :P ), then come back, it thinks I've read everything and I frequently miss posts (yes, I read -everything-)

get and use a browser that has tabs. open the list of new posts, open posts you want to read in new tabs. and/or instead of showing from 'last visit', show the posts from the last day. even the second and further pages of posts work if you choose something other than 'last visit'. also, though there's not a drop down selection for it, you can select hours if you make a bookmark or edit the url:

http://www.thejapanesepage.com/forum/su ... a&since=8h

make a bookmark for that and drop by every 8 hours and you're set! B)

but yeah, the forums idea of 'last visit' is a bit fluid and hard to controll.
zengargoyle

Return to Problems