Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Exactly how important is this test

Exactly how important is this test

The test - experiences, questions or comments

Exactly how important is this test

Postby Ouji-wa-no-Yomi-Bara » Wed 01.18.2006 6:01 pm

Like, can you get a job without it? Is it just a college thing? Exactly how hard IS level one? *twitch*SOrry if these have been asked before. *feels like such a newb for asking* But, I am thinking of taking it sometime so that I can go to college and further my education. I am not going to move over there living off of an american GED. Probably not very respectful there. XD
平利平利と悲しげ舞うメイヨシノには会われる
穢れは目知多糜爛のつきとおうとのよる抉り取れ
おぼえているのでしょう?
Ouji-wa-no-Yomi-Bara

RE: Exactly how important is this test

Postby Harisenbon » Thu 01.19.2006 12:27 am

It's pretty much a necessity if you want to get a Job in Japan that does not deal with teaching english. Also, it enter a Japanese college as a regular student, you have to have a 2 or 1 level certificate.

As for the difficulty levels, 2 is about junior high reading level, while 1 is high school graduate level. More information can be found on their homepage.

I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that a college degree is required to get a work visa (or maybe just an instructor visa) in Japan.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby sgtkwol » Thu 01.19.2006 1:27 am

The money part does not make sense, since you seem to be the first person meantioning it. GED- can't remember the acronym, but more or less and equivalent to the high school diploma.
sgtkwol

Postby Ouji-wa-no-Yomi-Bara » Fri 01.20.2006 4:22 pm

General Education Diploma I think. ;d You have to have a high school deploma to work in japan. Certian jobs, more. Thanks for the info
平利平利と悲しげ舞うメイヨシノには会われる
穢れは目知多糜爛のつきとおうとのよる抉り取れ
おぼえているのでしょう?
Ouji-wa-no-Yomi-Bara

Postby richvh » Fri 01.20.2006 4:51 pm

Grade Equivalent Diploma, if I remember right.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby Samusai » Thu 02.02.2006 12:29 pm

General Education Development test. It's the legal equivallent to a diploma. Although it's supposed to be equivallent, some people see it as for dropouts and the such. I wouldn't be too sure if they'd care that you got a GED or highschool diploma. It's not as if American highschools are the hardest schools with the brightest students.
Samusai

Postby AJBryant » Thu 02.02.2006 9:46 pm

Actually, I got a GED...

I was really bored in high school, so in the middle of my junior year, I said, "screw it, I want to go to college" so I took the GED and skipped the 12th and most of the 11th grades.

It wasn't what the test was *meant* for, but it worked. :)

Effingham
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby Infidel » Thu 02.02.2006 10:06 pm

I really wish I had known about that trick. I'm sure I could have pulled it off in 8th grade.
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby hiraikotsu » Thu 02.02.2006 10:31 pm

I still dont geddit. So is the GED a diploma in jap? And is JLPT 1 sorta like the "highest" grade or is there any higher (smthg like the French DELF and DALF)?
hiraikotsu

Postby richvh » Thu 02.02.2006 11:04 pm

No, the GED is a substitute for a highschool diploma in America. As far as the JLPT goes, there are 4 levels of test, with level 4 the lowest and level 1 the highest.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby nikonikoniko » Thu 03.16.2006 9:29 pm

AJBryant wrote:
I was really bored in high school, so in the middle of my junior year, I said, "screw it, I want to go to college" so I took the GED and skipped the 12th and most of the 11th grades.

Ah, so I'm not the only one then! The legal age for dropout in my state was 16, and as soon as that long-awaited birthday came around, I withdrew from school. I took the GED test right away, passed easily, entered community college a couple of months later, and transferred to a full university the next semester. University was a bit more interesting than high school, though I still tested out of a few classes when I had the chance.
nikonikoniko

Postby Mukade » Thu 03.16.2006 10:20 pm

Harisenbon wrote:
It's pretty much a necessity if you want to get a Job in Japan that does not deal with teaching english. Also, it enter a Japanese college as a regular student, you have to have a 2 or 1 level certificate.

The first isn't necessarily correct. It really depends on the company. I've interviewed with non-teaching jobs before (a couple of them were for translation/interpretation), and I think the general consensus was that if I could get through a formal interview in Japanese, then it wasn't necessary to show them some piece of paper proving I could speak Japanese.

Other companies might ask for it during the CV submission process in order to quickly pare down the field of candidates, but in the end, that's all it would be for. It's really just to keep a bunch of yahoos from applying saying "yes, I speak Japanese," who in the end can't really speak the language.

You do, however, need it when you apply for acceptance to a Japanese university. Of course, this only applies when you are applying as a regular student like the other Japanese students, not a study-abroad student.

Harisenbon wrote:
I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that a college degree is required to get a work visa (or maybe just an instructor visa) in Japan.

The requirements are (as is typical of much Japanese law) ambiguous. For an instructor visa, you must submit documentation proving your "academic career." What does that mean? I'm sure it changes on a case-by-case basis. If they like you, that means "high-school diploma/GED." If they don't like you, it means "two degrees each from: Yale, Harvard and Oxford." :o

For a work visa, the college degree requirement would be for the job, not the visa. It is possible to get the visa without a degree, but don't expect to find too many companies willing to sponsor someone without a college degree.
Mukade

Postby keatonatron » Thu 03.16.2006 11:06 pm

Like Mukade said, a lot of that stuff is just so companies can narrow their employee searches. I know a lot of the big English schools require a BA, but no teaching experience. I guess they assume if you can make it through 4 years of college you can speak and write English correctly (and I think that's a good assumption!). They don't want someone to fly all the way to Japan thinking they're going to get this sweet job not needing any experience then be turned away because they can't write correctly (or even worse, teach students the wrong information).

Just having a high school diploma doesn't mean you aren't a capable English speaker, but if you went to a high school like mine you'd know a lot of people out there with only HS diplomas would make horrible English teachers.
keatonatron

Postby TrilinguisT » Wed 03.22.2006 3:06 pm

hmm.. this is a little off topic but... i will not be satisfied unless i can take on the JLPT 2. i will be happy if i could read the average common kanji - if i could get a job there not teaching english, but to be a videogame designer - i would die of happiness for like 2 days then wake up and start to work :D
TrilinguisT

Postby punkgrl326 » Wed 04.05.2006 5:09 pm

AJBryant wrote:
Actually, I got a GED...

It wasn't what the test was *meant* for, but it worked. :)

Effingham

Wow. I didn't know you could do that :o
"Every act of conscious learning requires the willingness to suffer an injury to one's self-esteem. That is why young children, before they are aware of their own self-importance, learn so easily."

-Thomas Szasz
punkgrl326

Next

Return to Japanese Language Proficiency Test