Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Holidays and weeks...

Holidays and weeks...

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Holidays and weeks...

Postby shikamarufoo » Fri 01.20.2006 7:51 pm

Minasan Konnichiwa (Good Afternoon everyone, right?)
I am very interested in all the holidays of Japan and was wondering if you could help me. I know of some holidays such as Valentines Day, White (Whaito, right?) Day, and a holiday week called "Golden Week." I don't know anymore and I wish to know what's the story behind a holiday, the day or week, and other useful information about the holidays I listed and ones you know...
~Thanks for your time! (If there was a post or article about this sorry, I 'll learn how to use the search button more effectively):)
shikamarufoo

RE: Holidays and weeks...

Postby AJBryant » Fri 01.20.2006 8:56 pm

Putting on my "curmudgeon hat."

There's this cool thing called "Google." I understand that if you type in words for things you're interested in -- say, "japanese" and "holiday" -- you'll get back hundreds and hundreds of webpages on those topics.

Web pages that have more details and more specific and authoritative information than you're likely to get by a post in a forum.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby randomperson » Fri 01.20.2006 9:18 pm

theres a thing in the culture part of here with the hoildays if you havent check that out yet
randomperson

Postby shikamarufoo » Fri 01.20.2006 11:03 pm

Sorry I didn't google, I was going to but I thought "Why not ask the nice people here at the forum who might now more and have experiences on what happened and such..." Didn't need to make me feel stupid, guess I'll go do that right now....
Thanks randomperson sorry I can't believe I couldn't see that Cultures up there...
Last edited by shikamarufoo on Fri 01.20.2006 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shikamarufoo

Postby Harisenbon » Sat 01.21.2006 10:03 am

Just for reference, Golden Week isn't a holiday, but rather 4 (or 5, I can't remember) national holidays in succession. This, when paired with the weekend, makes the longest holiday season that most Japanese business men will ever get. Thus, everyone goes on trips, making it a Golden Week for travel. =)
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan