Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Could you explain...

Could you explain...

Feel free to practice writing in Japanese or romaji. Help each other out with corrections or replying back in Japanese

Could you explain...

Postby shikitohno » Sun 01.22.2006 2:03 am

I was watching a fansub, Eureka 7, and I noticed something about the pronounciation. When someone said 一, they would say it ich, leaving off the final i. Is that the normal pronunciation, or is it a regional thing?

Also, when I bought Japanese For Busy people, volume one, I made the mistake of thinking I'd gotten the Kana version, just because I saw some in there. I'd just like to be clear on how to properly spell in Japanese. If you could tell me if I'm spelling things in the typical Japanese way, I'd appreciate it.

Dōmo arigatō
どうもありがとう

Watashi wa Chūgoku-jin desu.
わたしはちゅうごくじんです。

Also, just to see if it's the same, Yûko's name from XXXholic would be written like this, correct? And please correct me if I use the wrong term for a women I'm not familiar with.
ナマエのおばさんはゆうこです。
I'm not sure that's even phrased correctly, so feel free to correct me. At least I won't mispell my thank you again!
ありがとう。
shikitohno

RE: Could you explain...

Postby mandolin » Sun 01.22.2006 2:25 am

It's common to "devoice" the i sound at the end or even in the middle of the word. It's sort of still there, sometimes it's described as a "half-whisper". Same reason "desu" often just sounds like "dess" or "suki" sounds like "s'ki".

Grats on your kana. You have both "doumo arigatou" and "watashi wa chuugokujin desu" correct, even the 'wa-is-ha' particle. That's fantastic, almost -every- beginner misses that for quite a long time.

Of course, some of those in the "typical" japanese way would be in kanji, but no one expects you to use kanji yet. It's understandable as is.

In your final sentence, there's no need to make "namae" in katakana. I'm not sure about the appropriate-ness of the use of obasan to refer to a girl you don't know. There's the generic "kanojo" pronoun which means "she" but even then, it can also mean "girlfriend" so it takes a little bit of care when using.

In person, what you would use would depend on your situation. Talking about a girl in an anime, if you were watching it or had a picture in your hand of the character, you could say "kono onna no namae wa yuuko desu." "This woman's name is yuuko."

If you were talking about a real person (like a friend of yours) that you were standing with, you would gesture politely toward her and introduce her as "kochira wa yuuko desu." "This is yuuko."

このおんなのなまえはゆうこです

こちらはゆうこです
mandolin

Postby shikitohno » Sun 01.22.2006 2:42 am

どもありがとうございます。
'namae' just sounded like it might be a borrowed word, so I figured I'd put it in kata just in case. Also, while I was doing something else, I realised I'd done something backwards. My なまえのおばさん, even if the honorific was off, should have been おばさんおなまえ, correct? Thanks again.
{the goals}
Hiragana: 46/46
Katakana: 34/46
Kanji:1-99
shikitohno

Postby mandolin » Sun 01.22.2006 2:46 am

I could be wrong on this, but I'm pretty sure you only need the honorific o- prefix when speaking to someone about their name. When speaking of a third party, I don't think it's necessary.

But yes, you had them reversed, I figured you'd pick up on that easily enough. You're pretty much on the ball, and will probably be past me in no time. :)

An FYI that's slightly related to this: When asking someone their name, you wouldn't need to use a pronoun or anything at all.

O-namae wa nan desu ka?

お名前(なまえ)は何(なん)ですか

:D
mandolin

Postby yankumi » Sun 01.22.2006 3:17 am

my understanding of おばさん is that it's used to refer to a middle-aged woman--which to some can be mid-30's, it's an iffy sort of phrase to use because it can be potentially insulting even if used politely, seems perhaps sort of like how "ma'am" is in the US.
yankumi

Postby randomperson » Sun 01.22.2006 2:14 pm

dont spam yankumi
randomperson

Postby yankumi » Sun 01.22.2006 2:19 pm

sorry, I am quite embarrassed, I left the screen up and my three year old started playing on the computer. I have deleted the posts.
yankumi

Postby shikitohno » Sun 01.29.2006 2:13 am

Okay, to keep from making too many threads, I'll just put my questions in here for now. I was listening to my CDs to get the sounds of Japanese into my head, and unfortunately, my accompanying book is in the ever-cursed romaji. So it leaves spelling to my imagination. I was doing the days of the week lesson, and was wondering two things. First, what the kanji would be for them, because I know they don't write days of the week in hiragana. Second, how to spell the word for Friday.

They romanized it as Kin'yoobi, so I thought it might be きんぬようび. Is this right?
If it is, here is what I've got for the days of the week, from Monday to Sunday in order.
げつようび (would it be 月ようび?)
かようび
すいようび
もくようび (木ようび?)
きんぬようび
どようび
にちようび

And do I have the kanji correct for the months? It's about the only kanji I'm nearly positive on.

一月・1月
二月・2月
三月・3月 
四月・4月
五月・5月
六月・6月
七月・7月
八月・8月
九月・9月
曙氏E10月
処鼬氏E11月
藷?氏E12月

Would it ever normally be written totally in kanji, because most of the time when I see a date written in Japanese, it looks like 2006(kanji for current period, don't know what it is),1月,29日. That's how it shows up on my computer anyway. and I don't know the readings of 日, I had to delete another character after converting ようび to get it alone. Well, that's all for now, so I'm going to go study the next lesson, and then go to bed. Thanks.
{the goals}
shikitohno

Postby Infidel » Sun 01.29.2006 3:32 am

shikitohno wrote: First, what the kanji would be for them, because I know they don't write days of the week in hiragana. Second, how to spell the word for Friday.

They romanized it as Kin'yoobi, so I thought it might be きんようび.

Drop the bold character. The ' is there so you know that the N is the end of a mora not the beginning of one. If the ' were not there it would read it ki-nyo-u-bi, (4 mora). With the ' it becomes ki-n-yo-u-bi (5 mora).

金曜日 is the kanji.

月曜日、火曜日、水曜日、木曜日、金曜日、土曜日、日曜日

Days of the month 1-31 have special reading which I'm having trouble memorizing. Format is usually, number, year, number, month, number, day.
Last edited by Infidel on Sun 01.29.2006 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby richvh » Sun 01.29.2006 11:11 am

Days of the month
ついたち − 一日、1日
ふつか  − 二日、2日
みっか  − 三日、3日
よっか  − 四日、4日
いつか  − 五日、5日
むいか  − 六日、6日
なのか  − 七日、7日
ようか  − 八日、8日
ここのか − 九日、9日
とおか  − 藷?A10日
じゅういちにち − 処齠?A11日
じゅうににち − 藷??A藷??r
じゅうさんにち ー 庶O日、13日
じゅうよっか − 庶l日、14日
じゅうごにち ー 曙ワ日、15日
じゅうろくにち − 序Z日、16日
じゅうしちにち − 庶オ日、17日
じゅうはちにち − 諸ェ日、18日
じゅうくにち   − 暑纉?A19日
はつか     − 二藷?A20日
にじゅういちにち − 二処齠?A21日
にじゅうににち  − 二藷??A22日
にじゅうさんにち − 二庶O日、23日
にじゅうよっか − 二庶l日、24日
にじゅうごにち − 二曙ワ日、25日
にじゅうろくにち − 二序Z日、26日
にじゅうしちにち − 二庶オ日、27日
にじゅうはちにち − 二諸ェ日、28日
にじゅうくにち  − 二暑纉?A29日
さんじゅうにち − 三藷?A30日
さんじゅういちにち − 三処齠?A31日

The same sequence is used for counting days, except 一日 is read いちにち when it means "one day" as opposed to "first of the month."
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby tkbits » Sun 01.29.2006 11:53 pm

shikitohno wrote:
They romanized it as Kin'yoobi, so I thought it might be きんぬようび. Is this right?
If it is, here is what I've got for the days of the week, from Monday to Sunday in order.
げつようび (would it be 月ようび?)
かようび
すいようび
もくようび (木ようび?)
きんぬようび
どようび
にちようび

No. It's romanized as Kin'yoobi, so that it won't be interpreted as ki-nyoobi (きにょうび). It is きんようび.
Last edited by tkbits on Sun 01.29.2006 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tkbits

Postby shikitohno » Thu 02.09.2006 11:36 am

OKay, I've moved on to one more lesson, and have a heap of questions again. First, when my tapes taught me how to ask names, It gave me several different forms.
For asking names, it had:
おなまえはなんですか。
おなまえはなんとうっしゃいますか。
Would I be right in thinking that the second form is more polite?
For saying your name, it gave me:
やまだです。
やまだまさおともうします。
Could someone explain the second form for me please?

Now, to discuss the weather. Here are my two problematic sentences.
きょうのてんきはどうですか。
きょうはてんきがわるいです。
First, what do the individual words mean? Guessing, I came up with きょう for today, てんき for weather, and わるい as an adjective meaning bad. So could someone fill in for me どう and が. I've got a feeling が is anothre one of those particles I'll have to know. And of course, as I'm guessing from Romaji, feel free to tear into my spelling and correct it.
どうも。
{the goals}
shikitohno

Postby mandolin » Thu 02.09.2006 12:27 pm

どう is a question word meaning "how, in what way".

どうですか -- How is it?
どうするか -- What to do? (or, What am I going to do?)

が here is indeed a particle. Here, it's being used as an explicit (or emphatic) identifier, to single out one of two or more possible topics.

In the question, we have "As for today's weather, how is it?"

The answer is, "As for today, it is the weather that is bad."

Lots of people have trouble distinguishing "wa" and "ga". My advice to you is to not stress over it. It becomes more and more clear as you read and listen, and hear them both used in different situations. It's a lot easier to try and notice usage that way, than for someone to try and explain them.

:)

Sorry I can't help you with your first two questions. In each case, I recognize the first sentence, but the second for both I've never heard before. We'll have to wait for someone more experienced to answer those.
Last edited by mandolin on Thu 02.09.2006 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mandolin

Postby zengargoyle » Thu 02.09.2006 1:17 pm

おなまえはなんとうっしゃいますか。 probably a typo.
おなまえはなんとおっしゃいますか。

仰しゃる (おっしゃる) (v5aru) (hon) (uk) to say; to speak; to tell; to talk;

やまだまさおともうします。 "YAMADA masao" is the full name.

垂キ (もうす) (v5s) (hum) to be called; to say; (P );

so, yep, more polite versions. in these versions と is like a quote marker: Call me "Bob".
Last edited by zengargoyle on Thu 02.09.2006 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zengargoyle

Postby richvh » Thu 02.09.2006 1:29 pm

shikitohno wrote:
OKay, I've moved on to one more lesson, and have a heap of questions again. First, when my tapes taught me how to ask names, It gave me several different forms.
For asking names, it had:
おなまえはなんですか。
おなまえはなんとうっしゃいますか。
Would I be right in thinking that the second form is more polite?

Yes, probably, but I suspect you have a typo there, as I'm not finding that verb in the dictionary.
For saying your name, it gave me:
やまだです。
やまだまさおともうします。
Could someone explain the second form for me please?

Yamada (surname) Masao (given name) to (quote particle) moushimasu (-masu form of humble verb mousu, to call): I am called "Yamada Masao."
Now, to discuss the weather. Here are my two problematic sentences.
きょうのてんきはどうですか。[/quote]
Kyou = today, no = particle of possession, tenki = weather, ha/wa topic particle, dou = how, desu = is, ka = question particle "As for today's weather, how is it?"
きょうはてんきがわるいです。

ga = subject particle, warui = bad "As for today, the weather is bad."
First, what do the individual words mean? Guessing, I came up with きょう for today, てんき for weather, and わるい as an adjective meaning bad. So could someone fill in for me どう and が. I've got a feeling が is anothre one of those particles I'll have to know. And of course, as I'm guessing from Romaji, feel free to tear into my spelling and correct it.
どうも。

Hope that helps.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Next

Return to 日本語の練習 (Practice Japanese)