Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Exchange Student...

Exchange Student...

Japanese, general discussion on the language

Exchange Student...

Postby amit » Tue 03.22.2005 5:53 pm

I'm going to be hosting a Japanese girl from Neyagawa. I know a bit of Japanese and she's very proficient in English (I've emailed her), but I just wanted your guys' opinions or suggestions of what I could do to make her feel more welcome/less homesick when she gets here. I've never had any experience with Japanese culture and..well..I haven't been able to get a good idea of what everyday life is like there from reading internet sites...-_- So...anyone who's been to Japan or knows ANYTHING that could help me out, let me know!!
a.m.i.t.
amit

RE: Exchange Student...

Postby momotaro » Tue 03.22.2005 5:56 pm

They go to school for a long time and have lots of homework._ _
-
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORINGGGGGGGGGGGGG
退屈すること
momotaro

Postby clay » Tue 03.22.2005 6:08 pm

If it is a long term stay, perhaps research what Japanese foods are available in asian markets around your area. Food is one of the biggest differences in culture. Other than that just make her feel at home.

If she will only stay for a month or so, I wouldn't worry about culture shock.

For me I really didn't face a lot of culture shock in Japan. But the moments I can say I had culture shock were not over huge differences, but very slight ones. Like the bank always closing at 3 pm even on Fridays :D
clay
Site Admin

Postby amit » Thu 03.24.2005 11:21 am

Hmm...well she's only going to be staying for less than a month..so it looks like I don't have that much to worry about. Thanks guys!! ^_^
a.m.i.t.
amit

Return to Japanese General Discussion