Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Advice on learning Kanji.

Advice on learning Kanji.

The test - experiences, questions or comments

RE: Advice on learning Kanji.

Postby Infidel » Sat 01.14.2006 3:46 am

Mariya wrote:
Is it odd..or not recommended...to learn Kanji only using the internet? Just a thought that struck me, everyone here seems to use text books. I'm quite confident that I can learn the Kanji using just the internet...

I'd say not recommended. Most of the kanji resources teach kanji independently from their uses. Textbooks are good because they generally present the kanji in context so they are less confusing.

There are some pretty good sites for learning to write the kanji and yesjapan is pretty good--but not free--

The rest of the lessons that incorporate kanji are all really low level. Like 12 lessons only.
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby amathyst » Sat 01.14.2006 10:18 am

obentoo is a good book it's all in japanese katakana and hiriganna and some kanji thrown in. but it has english in it too so it isnt all too bad.
it's mainly for primary studants but i think its good for anyone.
amathyst

Postby amathyst » Sat 01.14.2006 10:34 am

arrikitukis wrote:
i have just started with japanese and i think it will be impossible :'(

why do you think that? if you work at it i'm sure you'll do well.
japanese is fairly simple once you get used to it! i had trouble when i started
i thought i wouldnt do it. now i can read katakana hirigana now im learning kanji!
ganbatte (keep going)
there are lots of things on here to help you learn japanese i used to come on here before i joined.
amathyst

Postby appleraja » Sat 01.14.2006 12:28 pm

i learned hiragana, but when i try to practice reading, i dont have enough vocab to understand, i would jsut be reading the sound, any good advice?
appleraja

Postby yume_kaji » Sat 01.14.2006 12:50 pm

こんにちは. お元気ですか, 皆さん

dont worry about it... just reading kana, then you will be better in it. later you can learn more voc, of course, then you will know what you read :)
at last you have to learn kanji...

good luck, you will mastered it ;)
日本語の勉強をしましょう。^o^
yume_kaji

Postby sgtkwol » Sun 01.22.2006 10:20 pm

oops, this is from a few pages back, but...meanings only-10-40(super genious) max per day. For me it all depends on what I have seen before. Some are so familiar to me like 人that I accidentally left it out of my study list, but didn't bother adding it in. For the record, I like Heisig's approach, but there is no way I am learning 2000 kanji, w/o being able to read them. I was originally following the grade level, but I found that I desired of more common/useful kanji. So my first list is 131 kanji combining lists of JLPT4 kanji from all different sites along with grade 1 kanji. I have learned all the meanings at about 10 a day, this way I could learn to write them too. Now I am learning the readings based on that word being alone. Then I will learn combinations. I have already decided that if I ever take the JLPT exams, I will always be ready for the next level before I take the test, ie. I will be ready for JLPT3 before I take JLPT4, enough rambling for now.
Last edited by sgtkwol on Sun 01.22.2006 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sgtkwol

Postby J_lima09 » Tue 01.31.2006 2:46 am

kanji is impossible to learn:(
J_lima09

Postby mandolin » Tue 01.31.2006 3:42 am

J_lima09 wrote:

With that attitude, it will -remain- impossible forever.
mandolin

Postby amego » Tue 01.31.2006 11:34 am

With that attitude, it will -remain- impossible forever.

I agree with mandolin...anyway J_lima09, I don't think so...how about learning "一"? If thats also impossible then forget about Japanese. Try to start from somewhere, "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." In this case, a single stroke! Haha, anyway how about starting from learning 1-10?

I'll start you off "一二三四五六七八九十".

Don't give up!!! Ganbatte!!! :D
amego

Postby yume_kaji » Thu 02.02.2006 12:47 am

yeah! you have to write kanji step bye step...
so you write it into squares, at first only the first line from the kanji, then in the next squares you write the first and the second line....
continues until the kanji is finish.
it use time, but you will remember it better. so dont give up ;)
日本語の勉強をしましょう。^o^
yume_kaji

Postby Daisuke » Thu 02.02.2006 4:15 am

J_lima09 wrote:

Kanji may look like an impossible task, but it is not. Keep studying and studying, remember to review much. Before you know, you will read many kanji.
Daisuke
Site Admin

Postby sinful_echoes » Wed 02.08.2006 1:42 am

I took a somewhat educated approach to both memorizing and learning kanji. I'd study a certain amount of kanji per week, constantly writing them over and over along with some of their On and Kun readings to keep the characters and information alive in my mind. At the end of the week, or whenever I felt ready, I'd type out the characters on the NJStar Word Processor, print out the sheet, put away all my notes and constant writings, and see how much I knew. If I did bad, I'd go back and study the ones I forgot or messed up on and take a retest...

It sounds foolish after reading it (hahaha), but it's helped me a lot. Learning kanji isn't really as hard as it appears to be; its just a matter of dedication and memorization on your part to learning the language -or kanji in this case- that matters most. You'll make a lot of mistakes and become somewhat angry in the process, but making mistakes is human ;) Just don't give up...that's all, really.
What can one do when one\'s lost all that matters most?
sinful_echoes

Postby Pianogirl123 » Mon 02.20.2006 5:27 pm

i dunno if im right or wrong but i think studying individual kanji and their meanings, readings, etc. is not very useful.

I mean, if I told you that 手
means hand and you can pronounce it as "shu" "zu" or "te", and i told u that 紙 means paper and you could read it as "shi" or "kami"

That doenst mean that (assuming you didn't know this already) you can tell me what 手紙 means and how to say it.

So if u have to study them for your tests thats ok, but I think its more useful to just learn what kanji you need to write words as you learn them
Pianogirl123

Postby kirama » Wed 02.22.2006 4:47 am

want to learn
MAKE FLASHCARDS
IT IS THE BEST WAY
doing this i learnt all my hiragana in bout 2 weeks
kirama

Postby kirama » Wed 02.22.2006 4:52 am

i think that the easiest way to learn kanji and any smbol is falsh cards
kirama