Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - 住

Spotted any errors or found anything that doesn't work?

Postby Infidel » Sat 01.21.2006 12:25 am

Meaning:
live, reside, dwell
Pronunciation:
ジュウ
す(まう), す(む)

Example:
そのビルは未だ建設中です。
sono biru wa mada kensetsu chuu desu.
The building is still under construction.
Provided by Nihongo Machine - click for more!

The example sentence doesn't use the kanji
Infidel

Native language: 英語

RE: 住

Postby Infidel » Sat 01.21.2006 5:23 pm

It's actually the 3rd or 4th mistake I've noticed in the examples. I just thought that I had better start saying something or it might not get fixed. Especially when this forum is dedicated to fixing little stuff like this.
Infidel

Postby clay » Sun 01.22.2006 8:23 am

Yes, I think it has to do with the encoding of the Japanese. The examples are pulled from a stand alone table when it finds a 'hit' for that kanji. Since the encoding (Shift-JIS) is a bit off at times, it may think it found a hit when it really doesn't.

I am afraid it is beyond my abilities to figure this one out. I need to stop playing with PHP 'cause every time I make something poor Zengargoyle has to come and fix it! He has talked to me about eventually (keyword: eventually) converting the site's encoding over to a more universal standard, but that may be a good ways off.

Gomen nasai, I don't understand it enough to begin to try to explain what is going on here.

Clay
clay
Site Admin

Postby zengargoyle » Sun 01.22.2006 12:11 pm

clay wrote:
Yes, I think it has to do with the encoding of the Japanese. The examples are pulled from a stand alone table when it finds a 'hit' for that kanji. Since the encoding (Shift-JIS) is a bit off at times, it may think it found a hit when it really doesn't.

I am afraid it is beyond my abilities to figure this one out. I need to stop playing with PHP 'cause every time I make something poor Zengargoyle has to come and fix it! He has talked to me about eventually (keyword: eventually) converting the site's encoding over to a more universal standard, but that may be a good ways off.

not this time... the kanji page searches for examples that way, and works.
http://www.thejapanesepage.com/php-file ... nji_id=204

however, the kanji benkyou box doesn't search example text for kanji. instead, each example has a field for the kanji_id that it is an example of and the benkyou box looks for examples with the right kanji_id. and the entry for kanji_id 240 is erroneous.

example_id: 220
example: そのビルは未だ建設中です。
exampler: sono biru wa mada kensetsu chuu desu.
kanji_id: 204
notes: The building is still under construction. <snip url junk>

fix that entry and you're good to go. i'm guessing it was done this way to keep from accidentally having dozens or more of examples show up in the benkyou box. like 日 is probably in many examples in the database and all of those don't need to be shown in the benkyou box.

ALSO WORTHY OF NOTE

since we increased the range of the benkyou box (it now shows from the first 300 kanji instead of from the first 100), some of the kanji don't have any examples, or may be missing pronounciation.

皆さん、実例を書き込んでください。
zengargoyle

Postby Infidel » Mon 01.23.2006 1:44 am

So I should still mention the mistakes when I see them? Or should I just let them go?
Infidel

Postby Daisuke » Mon 01.23.2006 3:02 am

ishnar wrote:
So I should still mention the mistakes when I see them? Or should I just let them go?

I believe you should mention them. They still have to be fixed someday.
Daisuke
Site Admin

Postby clay » Mon 01.23.2006 3:11 am

I see. I just pointed that example to the right kanji.

Please update here if you spot others. There may be a few... When an example sentence is created, it should put that kanji's id in, but I guess it didn't.
clay
Site Admin

Postby coco » Mon 01.23.2006 9:59 pm

Exampe of Kanji Benkyo 「古」 has 「住」.
Example:
古い家にんでいます。
furui ie ni sunde imasu.
I live in an old house.

This exmple sentence is in 住.(#204)
Last edited by coco on Wed 01.25.2006 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Postby clay » Mon 01.23.2006 11:17 pm

Yes, I am not sure why it pulls that example from the 住 page: http://www.thejapanesepage.com/kanji/kanji.php?u=1&kanji_id=204
But not the 古 page:
http://www.thejapanesepage.com/kanji/kanji.php?u=1&kanji_id=83

Again, this is a problem I created :) due to my limited PHP knowledge! At least on the actual kanji individual pages the script is supposed to search and find all examples that have that specific kanji in it. But I think it is confusing a few and ignoring others.

We are about to move the site to a new host. That is the first priority, but Zengargoyle and I have talked about what to do from there. He has some excellent suggestions for replacing the current chat program with a more secure one that possibly could be integrated with this site better.

In the meantime, please report any obvious errors and I will do my best to fix them.

Thanks,
Clay
clay
Site Admin

Return to Problems