Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Careers

Careers

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Careers

Postby kowai-desu-ne » Tue 01.31.2006 12:30 am

Konbanwa,

I have a question that I'm sure someone has asked before, but I haven't really looked around for a similar thread, sorry.

My question is this...

What careers can one get in Japanese that isn't just your typical translation career? While I'm considering that one, too, I'd like to know what other options I have. Any suggestions as to where I can find more info, etc?

Domo!
kowai-desu-ne

RE: Careers

Postby IkimashoZ » Tue 01.31.2006 12:36 am

You can teach English in Japan, which can be insanely lucrative in the right places if you're a good enough teacher. Also, passing the 2nd or 1st level of the JLPT gives you access to other jobs in Japan.

There are even opportunities in the US, but you have to be creative. I personally plan on going to grad school for linguistics.
Last edited by IkimashoZ on Tue 01.31.2006 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ist das einen Kanji, dass ich gefunden habe??
IkimashoZ

Postby AJBryant » Tue 01.31.2006 2:20 am

Which one(s) are you looking at?

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby kowai-desu-ne » Tue 01.31.2006 2:27 am

Has anyone heard of the Jet Program? A friend of mine told me about it, but I haven't checked it out yet. Apparently, you can have a BA in anything, as long as you have the degree, and they pay $30,000/year or more for you to teach English in Japan...I was considering doing that after college, but I don't want it to just stop there!
kowai-desu-ne

Postby WacKostRacKo » Tue 01.31.2006 9:01 am

the JET programme is good but it is very hard to get on, and you cannot apply if you have already been to japan. If you can get i though it is well worth it as a stepping stone to work contacts in Japan.
tanuki wrote:
How about:

外人: これはすしです。すしが好きです。
日本人: おお!日本語が上手ですね。
外人: Erm....what?

story of my life...
WacKostRacKo

Postby Damorith » Tue 01.31.2006 9:20 am

Jet program is a good way into a career in Japan, all it requires is you be under 35 (i beleive) have not lived in Japan for 3 consecutive years within the past 10 years, or something close to that anyways. It is difficult to get into I hear, but there are many programs similar to it, like Geos.
Damorith

Postby CAPiTUL » Tue 01.31.2006 9:50 am

Aside from the teaching program with JET, there is also one for International Affairs. You need to be more advanced with your Japanese, however, before you can be accepted.
Last edited by CAPiTUL on Tue 01.31.2006 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-CAPiTUL
Nagoya bound this coming April/May!!!!!!
CAPiTUL

Postby LennyP » Tue 07.25.2006 2:05 am

Do you have any information about the international affairs program?
LennyP

Postby nikoniko » Tue 07.25.2006 6:37 am

What careers one can get in Japaense are as a teacher, a secretary, a guide, an ambassador etc.
jyanken pon!! --+-*---+--*-- d(^-^)-o v-('o' )b
http://nat-yipun-daisuki.hi5.com
nikoniko

Postby aKuMu » Tue 07.25.2006 6:51 am

furthermore i think the chances to get something just by speaking Japanese are very slim. As they have enough Japanese ;) Its like when some Japanese would come to Amerika and wants to work somewhere. Then they ask "what are your qualifiqations?" he says " I can speak English"
WOW
;)
aKuMu

Native language: German

Postby prep_girl_Nessa » Tue 07.25.2006 8:35 am

aKuMu wrote:
furthermore i think the chances to get something just by speaking Japanese are very slim. As they have enough Japanese ;) Its like when some Japanese would come to Amerika and wants to work somewhere. Then they ask "what are your qualifiqations?" he says " I can speak English"
WOW
;)

I actually didn't think about that... wow. That makes sense.
- Harumi Nessa - 熱砂 春美(Just kidding ^_^'')
'Do you know what it feels like, loving someone who's in a rush to throw you away?
Do you know what it feels like, to be the last one to know the lock on the door has changed?
' - Enrique Iglesias <3
prep_girl_Nessa

Postby Seijiro Hiko » Tue 07.25.2006 8:38 am

aKuMu wrote:
WOW
;)

Hmm...Never thought of it that way

I am going into International Business/Law with a minor in Japanese and plan to be a business lawyer over there because there is apparantly a lack of Business Lawyers in Japan. So they're supposedly hiring people to go over and be a business lawyer.
Seijiro Hiko

Postby paul_b » Tue 07.25.2006 8:38 am

prep_girl_Nessa wrote:
I actually didn't think about that... wow. That makes sense.

Well, yes, but what you actually do is say

Hi, I speak Japanese _and_ I'm a native speaker of English. Any international company would find that useful for (for example) dealing with branches abroad.
paul_b

Postby keatonatron » Tue 07.25.2006 9:03 am

True. If you want a job that isn't teaching English or translating, the best option is to find a job where a lot of English is required. There are many American and Brisith companies that have large offices in Japan, and they want workers who can act as a buffer between the American/British CEO's (who communicate with the office but have no need to learn Japanese), and the Japanese people who work with the office locally.

There are also Japanese companies that deal with a lot of foreigners (import/export companies, for example) and really want someone who can speak perfect English and who can understand difficult accents (Germans, French, British, etc. people who are all speaking English)
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby Ezrach » Tue 07.25.2006 9:55 am

JET Program:
you have to LOOK under 40, hold a B.A., and have NOT lived in Japan for a total of 3 years or more during the course of your life. It's an exchange program, so they want you to come out of it with something learned about Japanese culture. You are a human tape recorder.

Eikaiwa:
The McDonald's of English instruction in Japan. You'll make 250,000 monthly, maybe 10,000 or 20,000 more if you invest some time into it. (Not a career. Full stop.)

Business:
As a foreigner, a perfect command of Japanese and English (or any other major economy language) and prior experience in a business environment (interning back home, or a few years under your belt).

Like any other country, the Japanese government and citizens aren't sitting around wishing that foreign workers come over and take their jobs. Majority of the work force is limited to "special skills". (i.e. I was raised to speak English, and thus I am qualified to lead a class :| )
Ezrach

Next

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan