Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Hiraganas wrong?

Hiraganas wrong?

Spotted any errors or found anything that doesn't work?

Hiraganas wrong?

Postby Bobcat » Mon 01.30.2006 5:31 am

http://www.thejapanesepage.com/hsa.htm

Is this correct? according to the page you should pronounce 'SA' as 'SO', but when you click the sound file, the girl pronounces it 'Sa' - im confused :S is this a typo error?

Its the same for 'TA' and 'NA' too, the japanese girl in the sound file pronounces it 'Ta' and 'Na'?
Bobcat

RE: Hiraganas wrong?

Postby Infidel » Mon 01.30.2006 6:31 am

Your overthinking. It says that sa has the same pronounciation as 'so" in solitude. Not that sa is pronounced so.

Solitude is pronounced Salitude with an "a" sound. Pronunciation: 'sä-l&-"tüd, -"tyüd.

Same with the other two. Toddler is not pronounced toe-ddler but taddler ('täd-l&r). Knot is not pronounced note but knat (nät).

I understand the example unfortunatly English often uses the O for the ä sound.
Last edited by Infidel on Mon 01.30.2006 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby clay » Mon 01.30.2006 6:47 am

Sorry for the confusing examples. What's worse the examplese often don't work for non-American English. Hopefully it will be enough to get you started in the right direction.
clay
Site Admin

Postby hyperconjugated » Mon 01.30.2006 7:52 am

The blessing of learning phonetic languages. That's always nice for those whom native language is already phonetic. For native English speakers this sometimes is harder and most creative pronounciation aids are often provided. I have long forgotten the rules of English pronounciation and only rely on the experience and memory. Now that's a weird feeling when the correct pronounciation is sorely based on intution and memory. English is great though. It's been while since I been in an actual English course. Maybe I should enroll again. With all the other languages I've studied the pronounciation has been easy because they've been phonetic languages. Say it like it's written. Nice.
hyperconjugated

Native language: Finnish

Postby AJBryant » Mon 01.30.2006 12:54 pm

Rmember the old joke about "ghoti" being pronounced /fish/?

Take the GH in "enough," the O in "women," and the TI in "fiction" and you get -- FISH.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby ShinDig » Mon 01.30.2006 1:21 pm

haha i remember that one :D..had me stumped for ages :p
ShinDig

Postby WacKostRacKo » Mon 01.30.2006 6:13 pm

Infidel wrote:
Solitude is pronounced Salitude with an "a" sound. Pronunciation: 'sä-l&-"tüd, -"tyüd.

i think that it depends on which side of the pond you are on.. its pronounced solitude with an 'o' in the Uk. ;)
tanuki wrote:
How about:

外人: これはすしです。すしが好きです。
日本人: おお!日本語が上手ですね。
外人: Erm....what?

story of my life...
WacKostRacKo

Postby Bobcat » Mon 01.30.2006 6:22 pm

yeh, in england we pronounce it SOL-E-TUDE :(
Bobcat

Postby WacKostRacKo » Mon 01.30.2006 7:34 pm

does anyone think that this can be a potential problem for people starting to learn japanese if they are from england and pronounce some stuff in an american accent and some in a english one?
tanuki wrote:
How about:

外人: これはすしです。すしが好きです。
日本人: おお!日本語が上手ですね。
外人: Erm....what?

story of my life...
WacKostRacKo

Postby mandolin » Mon 01.30.2006 7:38 pm

not so long as there's sound files to go along with pronounciations.... which I think there are on this site, no? I learned my kana and pronounciation before I found this site. :)
mandolin

Postby Infidel » Mon 01.30.2006 11:01 pm

Yea, My favorite Japanese study book, is written for Cambridge University, so it uses lots of brittishisms that can be confusing. Just keep in mind the origin, UK, America, Down under, when looking at pronounciation guides in given books/websites. When in doubt go by the sound files not what you read.

Sometimes I have to translate the brittish to english to japanese and back again when working through the problems. Overall it isn't so big a deal. Petrol = gas, 3rd floor is really the fourth and so on.

As long as you remember that the American way is the only right way and everyone else is a bunch of wierdoes then you will attain enligntment. Remember, either it's American way or it's the wrong way! England and Australia will soon be absorbed into the American Empire because we are getting a bit weary of them always speaking American wrong.

Then we send over our teachers to indoctrinate thier poor confused children. Our cultural representives will march through the classes and ask the children questions. For example, they will point at a car and ask, "Where is the boot?" If the student says anything other than, "Cars don't wear boots, they have tires", the teacher will smack them on the wrist with a meter stick until they get it right.

And if England or Australia or any other countries that butcher the American language object, we will just send over Superman. Remember, he fights for truth, justice, and the AMERICAN WAY. Since Superman always wins, you might as well give in to the inevetible. Surrender now. Because we are America and We WIN!

:P
Last edited by Infidel on Mon 01.30.2006 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Infidel

Postby IkimashoZ » Tue 01.31.2006 12:41 am

We should all just discover the wonderful awesomeness that is IPA.
Ist das einen Kanji, dass ich gefunden habe??
IkimashoZ

Postby zengargoyle » Tue 01.31.2006 1:20 am

IkimashoZ wrote:
We should all just discover the wonderful awesomeness that is IPA.

indeed, that is a secret reason i have for wanting to convert this site over to UTF. SJIS just doesn't have the characters. then alot of the pronounciation questions can be answered and there can be some links somewhere to IPA examples from many different languages and everybody can learn pronounciation from the examples of their choice.
zengargoyle

Postby mandolin » Tue 01.31.2006 1:33 am

Infidel wrote:
the teacher will smack them on the wrist with a meter stick until they get it right.

I knew it, you're really a BRITISH SPY.

Americans would hit them with a YARD stick.
mandolin

Postby Infidel » Tue 01.31.2006 3:58 am

rofl good catch :)

I dunno why but growing up meter sticks were always more common in school than yard sticks. As kids when the teacher was out we'd grab the meter sticks and engage in great feats of arms. Unfortunatly for my victim, I read that proper sword technique never aims for the sword but the wielder. So while my oponent pranced and flicked his stick about trying to hit my stick, I was going for the kill. The end result was me walking away from the battle virtually untouched, and my foe covered in welts and slash marks across their face, arms, and legs. I dunno why, but people didn't ever challenge me to a sword duel again.

One time I moved and got challenged to a duel but we used tree branches because it was summer and school was out. We battled, but then my sword broke, so I flung it it his face while diving for his knees. I won naturally, but he had to call it a day to repair the hole in his face. He never challenged me again either....
Last edited by Infidel on Tue 01.31.2006 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Infidel

Next

Return to Problems