Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - History/Literature

History/Literature

Discussions on Japan's history or Japanese books!

History/Literature

Postby Sapphiregirl » Mon 02.06.2006 4:04 pm

:)I'm not so new at japanese but i was thinking that maybe we could have a "reading "group so we can read different Japanese Literature. Perhaps it could give us a perspective on the culture .

-sappi chan
Sapphiregirl

RE: History/Literature

Postby Sachi » Mon 02.06.2006 6:54 pm

I'd do that. ^^ Great suggestion. Sadly, I'd say I'm still just a "n00b" in Japanese, but I'd love to try it.... once I study longer, that is ^^;
Sachi

Postby InsanityRanch » Mon 02.06.2006 7:16 pm

SapphireGirl:

I would LOVE to have a reading group (in fact, I made the suggestion some months back and it sank without a trace.)

Did you have something in mind to read? What reading level of participants are you aiming for? Can I help organize this in any way?

The way I see it the main problem is going to be dealing with differences in reading speed. So maybe something like a short story would be a better choice than a novel, at least to start? Or a short personal essay.

Definitely count me in!

Shira
"Give me a fruitful error any time, full of seeds, bursting with its own corrections. You can keep your sterile truth for yourself." -- Vilfredo Pareto
InsanityRanch

Postby richvh » Mon 02.06.2006 7:44 pm

Is there anything similar to Project Gutenberg for Japanese texts?
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby InsanityRanch » Mon 02.06.2006 8:01 pm

Actually, there is. (I'll go look for it in a bit.)

However, there are some problems. For instance, I once scoured the web to find a particular story written by Akutagawa Ryuunosuke (because I had read an admiring description of the story), but the story wasn't available. However, MANY of his stories were on a particular website, but they were unedited, which means the kanji and okurigana were old-fashioned. (So, for instance, instead of 言う, the word was written as 云ふ.) I found this quite disconcerting, though I'm sure a person could get used to it after awhile.

Shira
"Give me a fruitful error any time, full of seeds, bursting with its own corrections. You can keep your sterile truth for yourself." -- Vilfredo Pareto
InsanityRanch

Postby hamsterfreak4evr » Mon 02.06.2006 8:03 pm

does anyone know of any printable (not flash then) japanese stories? I'd participate in this group maybe if i had a way of reading the stories off the computer.:)
hamsterfreak4evr

Native language: english

Postby Harisenbon » Mon 02.06.2006 8:18 pm

I would freaking love a reading group. I'm always looking for new stuff to read.

What level is everyone at?
As for short stories, most Japanese filler novels are rarely more than 100 pages. I have a number of suggestions of modern award winners if people are interested.
Also what interests does everyone have? Humorous Essays? Modern fiction? Suspense? Fantasy? SF?

This sounds like fun!
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby InsanityRanch » Mon 02.06.2006 8:20 pm

Still looking for the "old Japanese Literature" page...

One thing I do know is available online is an archive of the entire original Densha Otoko Thread (at http://www.geocities.co.jp/Milkyway-Aqu ... nman1.html). It's a fun read.

Other online-readable things: The newspapers print personal essays, which are quite short. like for instance the マイタウン section at asahi.com.

Does anyone else know of particular online sources?  
Last edited by InsanityRanch on Mon 02.06.2006 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
InsanityRanch

Postby InsanityRanch » Mon 02.06.2006 8:28 pm

The only problem with novels is the logistics of everyone getting hold of them. We don't all live in Japan. <g>

That said, I really want to see your list and if we can all agree on something, I'll get myself out to my local (sort of) Japanese bookstore and buy it. I have been wanting to have a reading discussion group for the best part of a year!

As for reading level, I might be behind you. (Probably am.) I can read about 10 pages of a novel per day, at most. But for the chance to read and discuss something, I'll push myself as hard as possible.

Shira
Last edited by InsanityRanch on Mon 02.06.2006 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
InsanityRanch

Postby zengargoyle » Mon 02.06.2006 9:04 pm

we might be able to start here: http://no-sword.jp/translations/
i don't know much about the actual stories, but this guy generaly does translations for fun... most seem to have links to the source, eg: http://www.aozora.gr.jp/cards/000148/fi ... 14972.html or http://www.aozora.gr.jp/cards/000368/card3222.html

this is also where i learned that "Japanese IP law only protects literary works for 50 years after the author's death, so everything Natsume wrote is up for grabs." and somwhere back in his archives is a link to a post about the new works that became available at the start of this year (the IP expires on new-year after 50 years after death). i think there's even links to publishers who put the newly available texts online..

i'll look further, but somebody else will have to pick what's good! i would sorta lean to the Natsume dreams work because there's also a in print book with some of the stories and translations and dictionary (like a reader): at the store. plus you can go to the publishers site and download mp3's of the stories in the book for your listening pleasure.

update:
here's the post about copyright:
How copyright turns a love of literature ghoulish

and here's a link to an index of some works that became available:
http://www.aozora.gr.jp/soramoyou/soramoyouindex.html
it's in Japanese, so i don't really know what's there :D
Last edited by zengargoyle on Mon 02.06.2006 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zengargoyle

Postby AJBryant » Mon 02.06.2006 10:14 pm

As for short stories, most Japanese filler novels are rarely more than 100 pages.

Makes for great train-reading. :) One of the great things about Japanese paperbacks is the size. They really *do* fit in your shirt pocket, and take up very little space.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby fragulistic » Mon 02.06.2006 11:09 pm

I would love to join this reading group, I love to read and find this an extremely interesting opportunity to practice and read (or try to. :)) Anywho has anybody found a book or story?
fragulistic

Postby hamsterfreak4evr » Mon 02.06.2006 11:26 pm

im at a low level of japanse now, but some stories with the kana/kanji and the translation such as ones at http://www.his.atr.jp/~ray/stories/ help me under sentence structure more since i do know quite a bit of grammar! but if anyone knows any good resources, feel free to PM me!:DB):p:);)
hamsterfreak4evr

Native language: english

Postby InsanityRanch » Mon 02.06.2006 11:32 pm

Yay, zengargoyle, you're my hero.

The aozora site is wonderful, and I found the Akutagawa Ryuunosuke story I was looking for! (白)!

Also from the site you mention at first, there is a link to the Japanese Text Initiative, which is the page I was looking for. Modern texts are at http://etext.lib.virginia.edu/japanese/ ... odern.html

M. Shibata's list of etexts seems to be organized chronologically, which seems like a hard way to find things...

Cool. Thanks again. (Now excuse me while I go read Shiro, which I couldn't find before..)

Shira
InsanityRanch

Postby Shibakoen » Mon 02.06.2006 11:54 pm

I vote for Yume Juu Ya by Natsume Souseki! Here's an url http://www.speaking-japanese.com/bio_soseki.html where you can find audio versions of four of the stories in mp3 format. If you can find all of the stories on the web for free somewhere, let me know. I bought the book that these stories were compiled in and I really like it. But, since only these four stories were included in that book, I'd like to find all of them.
Shibakoen

Next

Return to History and Literature Discussions