Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Is this possible? Useful?

Is this possible? Useful?

Spotted any errors or found anything that doesn't work?

Is this possible? Useful?

Postby InsanityRanch » Tue 02.07.2006 6:44 pm

There have been several threads I wished I could copy out in their entirety -- particularly ones with a lot of Japanese messages in them.

Is there, or could there be, a function to produce a "printer friendly" (or copying friendly) version of a thread with the author and timestamp of each message marked, but without avatars, picture signatures, etc.?

Does anyone else think this would be useful?

Shira
"Give me a fruitful error any time, full of seeds, bursting with its own corrections. You can keep your sterile truth for yourself." -- Vilfredo Pareto
InsanityRanch

RE: Is this possible? Useful?

Postby hamsterfreak4evr » Tue 02.07.2006 6:54 pm

B):Dyou might try copying and pasting them into something like Word or Notepad. That might work. I do that sometimes with Japanese stories online and it works fine. I know for a fact the characters show up in Word but i dont know about notepad. hope this helps!:p:);)
hamsterfreak4evr

Native language: english

Postby InsanityRanch » Wed 02.08.2006 10:20 am

Hi hamsterfreak!

That's what I've been doing... but it requires pasting bit by bit and/or substantially revising the copied text by hand after I've bagged it. (Usually both.)

The problems are: 1) the normally displayed page has lots of stuff I *don't* want to copy (navigation links, what else is going on on the site etc.) and 2) even within the thread itself, there is a lot of stuff that can throw off the cut and paste process, such as pictures and odd Japanese characters that show up as question marks (and make everything *subsequent* show up as question marks) when I cut and paste 'em.

What I was hoping for was a tool rather like the "display in printable format" option that many commercial sites offer so that you can print off a copy of your order to refer to if it doesn't arrive. Since Clay-san does have a commercial site, I was hoping that bit of code was already knocking around somewhere...

Shira
"Give me a fruitful error any time, full of seeds, bursting with its own corrections. You can keep your sterile truth for yourself." -- Vilfredo Pareto
InsanityRanch

Postby hamsterfreak4evr » Tue 02.21.2006 12:16 am

it depends on the site, i supposed. too bad the really cool flash based ones you cant copy and paste. at least i dont think so.
hamsterfreak4evr

Native language: english

Return to Problems