Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - History/Literature

History/Literature

Discussions on Japan's history or Japanese books!

RE: History/Literature

Postby richvh » Wed 02.08.2006 3:51 pm

Reading level: intermediate (know most of the grammar, but must often resort to a dictionary). I've read the 4 stories from "Yume Juu Ya" (First, Third, Fifth and Seventh Nights) published in Giles Murray's "Breaking Into Japanese Literature", plus most of "The Grove" in the same book. I've also read several of the folktales at the DoCoMo Digital Libary, and a few articles at the Yomiuri Online Children's Edition.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby Sachi » Wed 02.08.2006 3:57 pm

Great way to get started. I've decided I'd love to try, because I am an avid English reader, but please keep in mind (sorry if this is a burden.. I'll try my best!) that I am a very basic Japanese reader. Really, anything for little kids just learning how to read would be my level (or less)! I might *really* join the group once I finish several more lessons in my text, build up some good vocab, ect. So, I'd like to keep my options of joining open, but I really don't think I'm ready yet, unless you could suggest some pretty easy stuff.

Or maybe we could have a beginners group and an advanced group?
Sachi

Postby Justin » Wed 02.08.2006 6:08 pm

Not being bossy there at all InsanityRanch, it's good to see someone taking some initiative here. As for 模倣犯 there, I was just kind of throwing out what I've been reading here recently, not necessarily suggesting anything, as like you said, it's a rather long book(s) that probably wouldn't be the best thing to start with.

The Densha Otoko threads I'm sure would be a somewhat interesting read, but then again, I'm not for sure if it's really something to try and learn off of. There'll be lots of otaku vocab in there, along with who knows how many mistakes here and there, as it's just a bunch of people like us talking on some message board, and we all know how bad spelling and grammar can get around here. ;)

Other than that, I'm really up for anything, defiantly wouldn't mind having to buy something if I had to as well. I'm guessing it would probably be a good idea to break things down into 2-3 groups, depending on how many people we have looking to join in, and their respective reading level, it would probably be good to have something like a beginner, intermediate, and advanced group.

After that, I guess we’d have create some time frames for each group, enough to give everyone plenty of time, but not so much it would take forever to finish whatever we choose to read. Also, maybe if we get enough people, we could look at asking Clay to have a “Readers Club” section added to the forum, along sub forums for each group level where we could keep posts pertaining to our current book or whatever we’re reading.

Anyway, just throwing some things out there, never really done anything like this before, so maybe someone else will have some better ideas, but I’d defiantly like to see this project get off the ground.
Justin

Postby Shibakoen » Wed 02.08.2006 6:14 pm

My girlfriend got me a copy of some of the Doraemon comics (shijimon in Chinese???) that's in English and Japanese. I actually like it better than the "Literature" because it's not as dark as what I've read so far (no rapes or murders or suicides like Murakami and Souseki) and it's much more coloquial language (obviously). Anyway, I just thought I'd point that out to those of you, like Sachi, who are "very basic Japanese readers". You get some pretty useful vocab and structures for everyday, casual conversation and you won't find yourself crying because your favorite character hanged herself. *sniff:(* And there are always other manga, some even have all the furigana which is quite handy.
Last edited by Shibakoen on Wed 02.08.2006 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shibakoen

Postby Sachi » Wed 02.08.2006 6:50 pm

Hmm, good ideas, both of you. I was actually thinking along the lines of manga, but wasn't too sure. Thanks for the info!

As for Justin's suggestion, I completely agree. I think a forum section for this would be pretty cool, plus having the different groups.

Overall, I'm hoping I get to try this, even with my low reading level. I'm sure I could learn a lot by trying!
Sachi

Postby Blazinsurfer » Wed 02.08.2006 7:11 pm

looks like i am going to have to pick me up some comics...its been a while but i think now is good.
Blazinsurfer

Postby AJBryant » Wed 02.08.2006 7:55 pm

I generally do NOT recommend manga for anyone not at least intermediate. There's just too much colloquism and "shortcutting" with the language, which only serve to confuse someone who is still ata a serious entry-learning phase.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby Infidel » Wed 02.08.2006 9:39 pm

call me an acolyte. It sounds much better than noob.

... Yea, I gave up on manga. I've still got my stack of it on reserve for later. The main thing right now is to keep myself studying and not let myself lapse again.

This site helps a lot. Especially the kanji on the right side. Everytime it changes I try to remember it's main reading.

I'd be happy reading together from a kids newspaper like mainnichi shimbun or reading from this site. That has lots of stuff.
Last edited by Infidel on Wed 02.08.2006 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby fragulistic » Wed 02.08.2006 11:59 pm

beginner reading level, I love the idea of a kids newspapaer. By the way, I would be all up for that.
fragulistic

Postby Shibakoen » Thu 02.09.2006 2:51 pm

I agree, most manga wouldn't be very useful since a lot of it is VERY difficult. There are also those 3 inch thick hentai things that the oyaji read on the train and the themes in there would probably not be appropriate for many readers of this forum, no matter how many of those black bars they put in there. However, there are some, especially those intended for young readers that are pretty nice to read. The Doraemon one is the first one I've seen that has both English and Japanese in it, but I'm sure there are more. Anyway, it's those manga that I was mainly refering to. For me, since I'm working mostly on picking up vocab and kanji, the manga with furigana are invaluable. Reading kanji dictionaries and textbooks to memorize terms is about as exciting as beating my head against a brick wall. Sometimes the dictionary makes my head hurt worse....:D
Shibakoen

Postby Alien » Thu 02.09.2006 4:59 pm

This may be a stupid question ,but being new at japanese i can live with my mistake ,so here it goes are you (maybe we) reading in katakana(japanese from english) or a hiragana and kanji mostly ?Shouldn't you (again maybe we) read in katakana (japanese from english) it would atract more people from lower levels of japanese including me (maybe).

Another thing can enyone point me to a site wheer i may download or read short katakana stories or maybe poetry(uuu poetry ,maybe you can read poetry instead of stories),back to my problemcan anyone help me because i can't buy any japanese books in 300 miles of my town and to order it from amazon no comment ,impossible ! anyway help me please :(
Alien

Postby Alien » Thu 02.09.2006 5:01 pm

i am really sorry about that ,i'm so ashame ,i'm gonna burn my computer now,don't look at me
Alien

Postby Justin » Thu 02.09.2006 6:04 pm

You can go back and delete those extra posts if you want, just so you know.
Justin

Postby Sachi » Thu 02.09.2006 6:15 pm

A kid's newspaper could work.... I bet I could do that.
Sachi

Postby shikamarufoo » Fri 02.10.2006 10:27 pm

^Same here, I would love to see what ones looks like and to kick myself if I couldn't read it.
shikamarufoo

PreviousNext

Return to History and Literature Discussions