Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Great book for Grammar

Great book for Grammar

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Great book for Grammar

Postby the_marqz » Tue 02.07.2006 8:57 pm

I readed a great book for grammar it was Master the Basics: Japanese. Great book covers all grammar you need for JLPT 4, 3 and some 2 and 1 grammar points. Is explain everything with lots of examples and comprehensible explaination. It still has one problem the lack of kana. But either than that nothing.

Here is the cover:

the_marqz

RE: Great book for Grammar

Postby shikamarufoo » Tue 02.07.2006 9:45 pm

Thanks for this, I'm giong to see if I can find it in my local bookstore!:)
shikamarufoo

Postby LaughingMan » Wed 02.08.2006 2:02 am

Mastering the Basics was written by Carol and Nobuo Akiyama. Incidentally, they also wrote a book called Japanese Grammar, which I heard in a review that the two are basically the same books except Mastering the Basics has a test to check your knowledge of Japanese before you read the book and after you read the book to see how much you learned.

This is based on a review I read on [url]amazon.com[/url]:

"I just found out the very same authors and the very same publisher published this book 11 years ago under a different tittle "Japanese Grammar". These two books are extactly the same, except the "Master the Basics" adds one test at the beginning to test the readers' knowledge before they read the book and one at the end to test how much do they learn from it. If you think the tests are worth a few more dollars, get the "Master the Basics". If you don't, get a copy of "Japanese Grammar". They are both great to read, but the latter is a pocket-size book and comes with a transparent jacket."
「このノートに名前を書かれた人間は死ぬ」
LaughingMan

Postby RGmex » Fri 02.10.2006 9:15 pm

the best book will have to the a dictionary of basic japanese grammar. This book covers almost everything in basic japanese, and goes well over it. To the point that you begin to learn grammar points not cover in other japanese text books.

that book should be bought by every japanese language student. The only hard part is finding it.

here is a sample page

sorry if it is huge, but it is the best way you guys can see how well it explains the grammar points.
Last edited by RGmex on Fri 02.10.2006 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RGmex

Postby Christian_ » Fri 02.10.2006 9:24 pm

I have the book "Japanese Grammar" I wasn't too thrilled with it..but about "a Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar". I haven't been studying like I used to and ive finally found how and what i like to use to study, so im recommiting myself to studying Japanese. In doing this I decided to buy "a Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar" from the Japan Shop. Maybe ill write something about it when it comes, it looks great and ive heard great things about it. Does anything have anything to say about it?
Christian_

Postby shikamarufoo » Fri 02.10.2006 10:23 pm

A dictionary of Basic Japanese grammer looks like the best grammer book I've seen so far with that one picture...Thanks for the recommendation RGmex:), hopefully I can find one in my area.
shikamarufoo

Postby colind » Sat 02.11.2006 12:41 am

Yes I also really like DJBG. But best part is that there is a second book, which I also have and use quite a lot. That is "A Dictionary of Intermediate Japanese Grammar"
It includes detailed explainations and even gives similar grammar structures and tells you the differences between them. It's a great book and I would recomend it to any intemediate learner. :D
colind

Postby AJBryant » Sat 02.11.2006 1:03 pm

I have to admit that I'm just not genetically inclined to appreciate/respect/like a book on Japanese that uses romaji exclusively.

Wouldn't buy one, wouldn't recommend one.

But that's just me.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby RGmex » Sat 02.11.2006 4:44 pm

what?

you mean to tell me that you wouldn't use a japanese text books that uses romaji??

Even if it is a good book??

damn, DOBJG has both romaji and kana due to the fact that it is a dictionary of basic japanese grammar, and since it is basic, it uses romaji to show new japanese language learners the basic japanese grammar. Yet, the second volume of this book doesn't have romaji, it uses pure japanese kana and kanji to teach the intermediate to advance japanese languaege student. I don't see what is so bad about using romaji, for god sakes!! romaji is even use in a chat room between japanese chat room people and online japanese forums. I would say to just check the book out before bad mouthing it.
RGmex

Postby Txkun » Sat 02.11.2006 5:52 pm

RGmex wrote:
I don't see what is so bad about using romaji, for god sakes!! romaji is even use in a chat room between japanese chat room people and online japanese forums.

It is better to avoid romaji as much as possible. If it's used in Japanese chat it is just because who write knows that there is people learning that maybe can't read kana too well. Romaji is a way to translate roughly sounds in a different alfabet.
When a japanese thnks か it's not "ka" and not "k"+"a" it's か.
In many places I read japanese don't like too much to use romaji too.
So, why using a bad habit more than necessity? :D
Anyway I have too a good reference grammar in romaji. To exercise writing I often rewrite interesting sectionsin kana. ;)
Last edited by Txkun on Sat 02.11.2006 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Txkun

Native language: Italian

Postby Harisenbon » Sat 02.11.2006 9:00 pm

Tony,

I know what you mean about avoiding books with kana in them, but I have heard from many people that the "Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar" is very good. I have the Intermediate version (no kana) which has really good, in-depth explanations of a lot of phrases. Apparently they're working on one for advanced grammar as well. Still waiting for that one to come out.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby RGmex » Sat 02.11.2006 9:35 pm

It is better to avoid romaji as much as possible. If it's used in Japanese chat it is just because who write knows that there is people learning that maybe can't read kana too well. Romaji is a way to translate roughly sounds in a different alfabet.
When a japanese thnks か it's not "ka" and not "k"+"a" it's か.
In many places I read japanese don't like too much to use romaji too.
So, why using a bad habit more than necessity?
Anyway I have too a good reference grammar in romaji. To exercise writing I often rewrite interesting sectionsin kana.

Where did you read that?? I will like to see that. Since from my own experience, they do use romaji a lot too in the computer and internet world.

And from what I learned in my japanese class, romaji is using roman latin to make sense out of the japanese language, not using the english language, but using the roman latin sounds of those words. Reason for why when a spanish speaker reads romaji, it sounds like he/she is speaking japanese, but he/she in reality is using the spanish accent.
I did say japanese chat room people, yet a lot of those japanese chat room people who use romaji in chat rooms are japanese native speakers, been to a few of them myself. I;ve even gotten text messeges from japanese buds in romaji. Kind of gives you that technology wise, Japanese natives speakers use romaji a lot more than the kana/kanji system. Makes things a lot easier.

It is better to avoid romaji as much as possible

no, I disagree with you. I think that romaji helps a lot of people when it comes to the more advance grammar points. I've seen it first hand.

try to make sense out of the whole

hanasaserareta and asobasaseta verb stems, without using romaji to make sense out of it and you will get lost. >_< A lot of people tripped on them in my japanese 4 class. So no, romaji is not all that useless

Later on when you do become more advance, yeah good idea to stay away from romaji. But as new language learning students, it is by far best to use romaji whenever you get stuck. Personal experience, kind of notice it after 4 years of taking the language. ^_^
Last edited by RGmex on Sat 02.11.2006 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RGmex

Postby Justin » Sat 02.11.2006 11:41 pm

Kind of gives you that technology wise, Japanese natives speakers use romaji a lot more than the kana/kanji system. Makes things a lot easier.

I'm not for sure what you quite mean there. Are you saying it's easier for you if they use romaji, or that it's easier for Japanese speakers to use romaji rather than kana/kanji?

I think that romaji helps a lot of people when it comes to the more advance grammar points.

I'm sorry, you kind of lost me there. How exactly is romaji helpful with advanced grammar again?

hanasaserareta and asobasaseta verb stems, without using romaji to make sense out of it and you will get lost. >_< A lot of people tripped on them in my Japanese 4 class.

How does using romaji there have any benefit over kana/kanji unless you're just using romaji as a crutch?

EDIT:
One of my favorite grammar books...

http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/ASIN/4874241549/qid%3D1139715770/250-0816741-4138613
Last edited by Justin on Sat 02.11.2006 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Justin

Postby RGmex » Sun 02.12.2006 1:14 am

I'm not for sure what you quite mean there. Are you saying it's easier for you if they use romaji, or that it's easier for Japanese speakers to use romaji rather than kana/kanji?

Not for me, I could care less if japanese use kana in normal chat rooms. The thing is that electronic wise and just keeping it a lot more simple in a chat room, and not having to make it more confusing while you are typing in one of those room using kanji/kana. Just using romaji is simple enough electronicaly.

I'm sorry, you kind of lost me there. How exactly is romaji helpful with advanced grammar again?

you don't notice it??

as japanese gets harder you will notice that some things will not make sense until you see it in romaji, something my japanese teacher pointed out, that even japanese native speakers use to make sense out of some newer grammar points. It is just something that it is easier to look at, once you put something down in romaji.

Do not know how to explain it, you'll just have to notice it on your own.

How does using romaji there have any benefit over kana/kanji unless you're just using romaji as a crutch?

lots, even little japanese kids learn romaji for the first time, when they are learning english and japanese all together. After that fact, which was pointed out by a penpal who who is in japan right now and is teaching english over there, you kind of have to change your view about romaji a little. It is worth learning romaji and just using it, since it is a part of the japanese language and it is something needed in order to realy understand the language.

Like that fact or not, it is true.
RGmex

Postby RGmex » Sun 02.12.2006 1:24 am

another side note I forgot to put!!

In elementry schools in japan, it is normal for a tacher to teach their students the japanese kana system by using romaji and putting the romaji under or over the hiragana/katakana japanese word. It just makes it simple for a child's mind to grasp the idea of what sound goes to what hiragana/katakana.

it is a normal thing.

I do not know why some of you look at it as being bad.
RGmex

Next

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips