Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Handwritting

Handwritting

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

RE: Handwritting

Postby RGmex » Fri 02.10.2006 9:48 pm

you know what...o_O

as soon as I saw your I , it looks like a reverse RI . heh

you should be careful about that.

Anywho, I can't tell if you are writing them correctly, I mean when it comes to stroke order. But I think everybody pointed out a few mistakes you made.

Good luck
Last edited by RGmex on Fri 02.10.2006 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RGmex

Postby RGmex » Fri 02.10.2006 10:00 pm

that's how my first japanese techer showed me how to write A,I,U,E,O. Heh, but after 4 years of writing them now and just doing them over and over. It just becomes natural to you and you don't even care how it looks. You just know what it is and how it looks. ^_^
RGmex

Postby RGmex » Fri 02.10.2006 10:06 pm

oh yeah forgot!!

do not use graph paper for kanji. It kind of makes it harder on you when you are writing the kanji. I do not know how to explain it, but writing japanese on graph paper makes you writing look strange. Something I learned thanks to a japanese friend, right after she told me that my kanji looked strange. >_<
RGmex

Postby mandolin » Fri 02.10.2006 11:32 pm

Perhaps your kanji looked strange for another reason? I don't see how graph paper could cause your kanji to look different, the graph paper helps you keep your characters taking up the same space as other characters.
mandolin

Postby shikamarufoo » Fri 02.10.2006 11:38 pm

RGmex wrote:

that's how my first japanese techer showed me how to write A,I,U,E,O. Heh, but after 4 years of writing them now and just doing them over and over. It just becomes natural to you and you don't even care how it looks. You just know what it is and how it looks. ^_^

Exactly who cares how neat it is as long as you and most other people who read it will be able to make out what it says.
Personally my handwriting is ok but at least most people can make out what it says. My teacher though is another story, everything has to be perfect...Can you please post pics of your RA if you could, I would like to see why he keeps marking me off a half point for my ra, he circles the top part.
BTW what is everyones' favorite character to write...I love to write the hira and kata KA and the hira O:).
Last edited by shikamarufoo on Fri 02.10.2006 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shikamarufoo

Postby RGmex » Sat 02.11.2006 12:21 am

you want to see my Ra??

well, I put up the whole line.

RGmex

Postby KitsuneTsuki » Sat 02.11.2006 12:46 am

Machina Maw wrote:

Also, don't worry if your kana doesn't look exactly the way it should. After more study and revision you'll find that you'll get a better eye for the way it should look. Anyway, as long as it's understandable, it should be fine.

I agree. When it gets right down to it, whose handwriting in English (or whatever other languages that use this alphabet) looks like the pictures in the penmanship books? I know that my own handwriting is a combination of printing and cursive.

Laters!
KitsuneTsuki

Postby Mukade » Mon 02.13.2006 9:21 pm

shikamarufoo wrote:
Exactly who cares how neat it is as long as you and most other people who read it will be able to make out what it says.

I think the Japanese put more stock in skillful handwriting than English speakers do. It's part and parcel when your written language is so visual. Think about it. The Roman alphabet is utilitarian only. How often have you seen an artist print a letter "E" on a canvas and try to pass it of as art?

Writing kanji (and even kana) is a very, very common art form here, though. And every school child spends hours every week from elementary on through to high school practicing penmanship (brushmanship?). There are even books out there that show you the exact way that you should write characters in pen or pencil. Trust me, it's all very precise, and the Japanese are sticklers for rules. I've had more discussions about people's penmanship here than I can remember. It is something that people notice - something that's very different than the way writing is regarded in the West.

RGMex wrote:
do not use graph paper for kanji. It kind of makes it harder on you when you are writing the kanji. I do not know how to explain it, but writing japanese on graph paper makes you writing look strange. Something I learned thanks to a japanese friend, right after she told me that my kanji looked strange. >_<

I'm not sure why your Japanese friend would say this, since every kanji learning book in Japan has students tracing characters in a square broken into four quadrents. They then practice writing the character on their own, but in the same square with four quadrents. The advanced stage has them writing the characters in the square without quadrents. And when practicing essay writing, Japanese writing paper tends to have rows upon rows of equally spaced and equally sized squares, and students are graded for how well their kanji take up each square in a precise, balanced way.

Balance is very important to Japanese penmanship, and that's hard to develop without some sort of reference. I think the graph paper idea is a good one.
Mukade

Native language: English

Postby angstycoder » Fri 02.17.2006 11:39 pm

Well, I tried my hand at writing.
I've memorized a bit so far (since one week ago tomorrow.

Memorized solidly so far are vowels, k,s,t,n,h, and final N.

Please let me know how my writing looks. I know it is a bit different than the handdrawn chart linked in the first couple posts. Native speaks especially appreciated.

http://angstycoder.homelinux.org/images/hiragana.jpg

どうもありがとう!

[small]Edit: Because 'u' is an important letter[/small]
Last edited by angstycoder on Fri 02.17.2006 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
angstycoder

Postby esquimau » Sat 02.18.2006 10:48 am

daaamn ) how can i insert a pic inside!?!?!
Last edited by esquimau on Sat 02.18.2006 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
北の光
かわいい!!!!
esquimau

Postby Jim » Sat 02.18.2006 2:59 pm

To the original poster: Your japanese writing is better than mine :D

It seems to be a harder language to write than to learn in your head, to be honest :@ But I'm enjoying it a lot and will be a good third language to learn (or fourth, as I'm also learning german at the same time, only it's halted a bit, and I speak Gaelige(irish) and English).

Unfortunately, my normal handwriting is terrible also :p

Edit: sorry for the poor picture, it came from a poor webcam.
Last edited by Jim on Sat 02.18.2006 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
私は日本語の大学生です, アイルランド人です
Jim

Postby aradu » Sat 02.18.2006 7:58 pm

I wrote these wihle I was in the Japanese 101 class. I practiced the hiragana quite a lot and I think I write pretty good now. My teacher and a few Japanese students told me that my hand writing was good.

Hiragana:

A speech for the 101 class: (don't look at all the mistakes, it's lots of them :P)

Link - http://img49.imageshack.us/img49/3898/kanjihiragana5yb.jpg
aradu

Postby keatonatron » Sat 02.18.2006 9:56 pm

Well, it IS something that takes a while to get used to. Japanese people have been writing since childhood, and most of use have started only a few years ago. My handwriting was pretty mediocre too when I first started, but after practicing for a few years it got a lot better.

Did I already post this?
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby mandolin » Sun 02.19.2006 12:34 am

OK, I'll throw in my handwriting attempts... (LINK)

Be kind. *duck 'n hide*
mandolin

Previous

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips