Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Is this correct?

Is this correct?

Feel free to practice writing in Japanese or romaji. Help each other out with corrections or replying back in Japanese

Is this correct?

Postby kaywala » Sat 02.11.2006 11:44 pm

Ok, well the questions and what I think are there answers....I think I'm wrong and I would soo appreciate it if anyone would check and help me ^^ This is an exercise from Genk book 1, page 27 xD

1.おなまえは?
  ケてです。

2.どこから きましたか。
 アメリカです。

3.しごとは なんですか。
 がくせいです。

4.なんねんせえですか。
 いちねんせいです。

5.なんさいですか。
 庶lです。

6.せんもんは なんですか。
  にほんごです。

Oh...and um why does onamae wa have a question mark at the end and how come question 1 and two don't use desu ka?
Last edited by kaywala on Sat 02.11.2006 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kaywala

RE: Is this correct?

Postby Tegan » Sun 02.12.2006 12:39 am

I believe number one uses a question mark because it doesn't use a ですか. Sentences don't absolutely have to have か's at the end to be questions, but it must be clear that it's a question. The question mark accomplishes that.

Also, sentences don't always use a です, either. It's a copula used to relate the subject of the sentence to another noun or adjective. In number one there is no verb at all. (Which, by the way, seems odd. I thought Japanese sentences always needed a verb?) The sentence reads something like, 'name?', I suppose if it read more like, 'What is your name?' it would use a です. As it is, there is nothing for a です to relate.

The second sentence doesn't use one because it already has a verb (きました) relating the topic (implied you) to the word どこ and doesn't need one. The か is still there as a question marker, however, if you look.

I hope this helps a little. ^^
Tegan

Postby kaywala » Sun 02.12.2006 1:17 am

ありがとうございます。 This helps alot ^^ so for question one, would it just be ケテ。 ? are all the other answers correct? Did I use です too much?
kaywala

Postby amego » Sun 02.12.2006 1:23 am

(Which, by the way, seems odd. I thought Japanese sentences always needed a verb?)

Well sometimes during speech they drop it when the meaning is obvious. But please don't drop it anyhow :D Speak full sentences first. But really, in casual speech, "onamae wa" is sufficient.
amego

Postby kaywala » Sun 02.12.2006 1:25 am

What would be a complete sentance? x_x My text book doesn't really give complete sentances....I thought that a bit odd but yah.....er I'm doing something wrong arn't I? T_T
kaywala

Postby kaywala » Sun 02.12.2006 1:31 am

would it be:

私わケテです。 or... おなまえはケテです。
kaywala

Postby Tegan » Sun 02.12.2006 1:40 am

I think that your answer for number one is fine, as long as it's your name. ^^ All your other answers seem correct as long as you live in America, are a student, are in your first year of studying, are fourteen, and are studying Japanese. ^^

Actually, I think it's best to use です when you don't have any other verb as it's a politeness thing, and because, like I said earlier, I was taught that Japanese sentences always need a predicate to be considered 'complete'.

As an example, whereas in English you could say, 'Q: Who gave her the book? A: Mary.' In Japanese you would have to say: 'Q: Who gave her the book? A: Mary did.' In otherwords, a verb or verbal adjective is always needed.

At least, that is how I learned. Your sentence from Genki おなまえは? makes me wonder if that is right or not, as I assume Genki would be grammatically correct.:)

I'm not very far in my studies myself, so if anyone has an idea on how to clear that up for me I would be really grateful.:)

EDIT:

I just saw amego's post. ^^Thanks, that helps a lot.

Also, fliprenegade... 私わケテです wouldn't work because it would be something like... 'I is kete.' Or something like that. At least that's what I think.

おなまえはケテです wouldn't work because you only use the (I think it's an honorific...) お when referring to someone else. わたしのなまえはケテです would work, though dropping the わたしのなまえは and leaving it as just ケテです would probably work just as well and seem more natural.
Last edited by Tegan on Sun 02.12.2006 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tegan

Postby RGmex » Sun 02.12.2006 2:24 am

fliprenegade wrote:
Ok, well the questions and what I think are there answers....I think I'm wrong and I would soo appreciate it if anyone would check and help me ^^ This is an exercise from Genk book 1, page 27 xD

1.おなまえは?
  ケてです。

2.どこから きましたか。
 アメリカです。

3.しごとは なんですか。
 がくせいです。

4.なんねんせえですか。
 いちねんせいです。

5.なんさいですか。
 庶lです。

6.せんもんは なんですか。
  にほんごです。

Oh...and um why does onamae wa have a question mark at the end and how come question 1 and two don't use desu ka?

1) おなまえは?  "your name"  です。

2.どこからきましたか。 (where to you come from?) "your hometown" から。

3)しごとは なんですか。(what is your job?)-since you are a student-
わたし は しごと が ありません、でも がくせいです。( I do not have a job, but I am a student) ::but if you do have a job, just say what job you have::

4.なんねんせえですか。 (what grade are you in?)
 "your grade" ねんせいです。

5.なんさいですか。 (how old are you?) 庶lさい です。(you forgot the sai in your reply)

6.せんもんは なんですか。
  にほんごです。 (good)

but I would repeat the question, teachers sometimes are too... you know.

わたし の せんもん は 日本語 です。

good luck!!
Last edited by RGmex on Sun 02.12.2006 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
RGmex

Postby RGmex » Sun 02.12.2006 2:29 am

At least, that is how I learned. Your sentence from Genki おなまえは? makes me wonder if that is right or not, as I assume Genki would be grammatically correct.

no, that is correct. You can use onamae ha? nothing wrong with that.

私わケテです

that can't work, since the particle is ha not wa

私 は 。。。。。 です。

because it wouldn't make sense. O_o

it would be like saying in english, "where is to you came from?"

think of it like that. ^_^
RGmex

Postby keatonatron » Sun 02.12.2006 2:51 am

RGmex wrote:
because it wouldn't make sense. O_o

it would be like saying in english, "where is to you came from?"

You're right, that doesn't make any sense. But... that's not at all a translation of what was posted, so I have no idea what you're getting at.

In Japanese, か at the end takes the place of a question mark (Exactly the same as a question mark actually--except that it's vocalized). And so, with standard writing, whenever there is a か you don't use a question mark (most likely comes from before question marks were adapted for Japanese use. The か makes punctuation unneccesary.)

なまえは? Is the equivalent of "And your name?". It's not a whole sentence, and so it can't have か on the end. But, to show it's a question, it needs the question mark.

A few notes about the first post:
When saying いちねんせい, you probably want to specify which school you are a first-year at. The way it is, people would assume you're a first-grader :o A better answer would probably be 高校一年生です (こうこういちねんせいです)

On the question about your age, follow 庶l with さい: 庶l才です (じゅうよんさいです)

Generally, when asked a simple "なに(something)" sentence, you answer with "##(the same something)".

何枚? nan mai? (how many sheets?)
3枚です san mai desu (3 sheets)

何人? nan nin? (how many people?)
4人です yon nin desu (4 people)

何州? nani shuu? (which state? [are you from])
フロリダ州です florida-shuu desu (Florida state)

There are, of course, occasional exceptions.
Last edited by keatonatron on Sun 02.12.2006 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby RGmex » Sun 02.12.2006 2:55 am

I was trying to reply to that question. O_o

sorry

the original poste was saying if this sentence could be put like this

どこから きました です か。 

O_O

looks strange to me.  
Last edited by RGmex on Sun 02.12.2006 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
RGmex

Postby Sharingana » Sun 02.12.2006 1:27 pm

おはよう、皆さん! I'm going to butt in here...
どこから きました です か。 

O_O

looks strange to me.  

Actually, like Tegan said, I believe you can add 〜です to almost any sentence...or even just say things like 「ですよね?」 as a stand-alone phrase if you're asking for confirmation/agreement about something you just said. But it gets to be kind of over-kill if you add it to everything...in the case of 「どこから来ましか」 you might add it to your response, as in 〜から来ましたのです or 〜から来たのです. Generally, as you learn more, things get more and more casual and abbreviated, and you find particles and ですs getting dropped like crazy....like in the 「お名前は?」 example, I've heard people use as little 「名は?」 when asking someone's name (this is really casual, and kind of rude if you ask me). Well, that's what I think anyway. :)
「白檀の香りが誘う恋。。。」井上和彦で白檀遊戯
Sharingana

Postby kaywala » Sun 02.12.2006 2:44 pm

RGmex wrote:

1) おなまえは?  "your name"  です。

2.どこからきましたか。 (where to you come from?) "your hometown" から。

3)しごとは なんですか。(what is your job?)-since you are a student-
わたし は しごと が ありません、でも がくせいです。( I do not have a job, but I am a student) ::but if you do have a job, just say what job you have::

4.なんねんせえですか。 (what grade are you in?)
 "your grade" ねんせいです。

5.なんさいですか。 (how old are you?) 庶lさい です。(you forgot the sai in your reply)

6.せんもんは なんですか。
  にほんごです。 (good)

but I would repeat the question, teachers sometimes are too... you know.

わたし の せんもん は 日本語 です。

good luck!!

どもありがとございます。 You've all been so much help...but I still have a few questions x_x I'm sorry for bothering you all so much x_x

Well, I made it bold from your post RGmex...why does it end in から?And um...were my sentances 'complete?'

T_T I mean like in my spanish class, when say like do you need this? We need to answer Yes, I need that not just yes. So am I answering them 'fully?' er...I hope I didn't confuse ppl

Yah...I forgot the さい。。。。I have a habit of doing that x_x
kaywala

Postby AJBryant » Sun 02.12.2006 3:36 pm

I'm coming into this late, but...

In early language drills like this, teachers generally prefer full sentence responses to one word responses. (At any rate, it's more polite.) In other words, sentences with verbs.

1.おなまえは?
  なまえ は ケてです。

2.どこから きましたか。
 アメリカ から きました

3.しごとは なんですか。
 がくせい です。

4.なんねんせえですか。
 こうこう の / だいがく の いちねんせい です。

5.なんさいですか。
 庶lです。

6.せんもんは なんですか。
  せんもん は にほんご です。