Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Significance of bowing head

Significance of bowing head

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

RE: Significance of bowing head

Postby coco » Tue 02.14.2006 7:11 am

uh... Excuse me, but.. can't stop asking.
Personally, I was taught not to go on my hands.

Are you able to do with "not to go on your hands"? :o
or I must have misunderstood completely.
Ummm... English is too difficult..:(
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Postby angstycoder » Tue 02.14.2006 8:47 am

CDarklock wrote:
Personally, I was taught not to go on my hands.

Since that seems perfectly adequate to keep my hands clean, I kind of have to wonder what these other people are doing. O_o

Remember that next time you touch the door handle on your way out the door, and think of how many people didn't ... use such care. ;)

Handshakes had their place (originally clasping of arms rather than hands,) when used to check someone for weapons in a less overt way.

Although I do wash my hands many, many times a day, it still doesn't bother me to shake people's hands, even those with ... less knowledge of microbiology, heh. I just wash my hands thereafter. There is a sort of feeling in handshakes not found in bowing, but conversely, bowing seems much more humble and respectful.

It's all fascinating, I think.
angstycoder

Postby shikamarufoo » Tue 02.14.2006 10:04 am

Just carry hand sanitizer with you everywhere you go if you don't like to do handshakes and people ask you to...then when you're down, run away and use the hand sanitizer!:)
shikamarufoo

Postby CDarklock » Wed 02.15.2006 6:52 pm

coco wrote:
Are you able to do with "not to go on your hands"? :o
or I must have misunderstood completely.

In retrospect, that really isn't a very clear sentence for those whose first language isn't English, and I do apologise for the confusion.

In America, "go" is sometimes used as an abbreviation for "go to the toilet", which in turn is used as a polite euphemism for the things you do *in* the toilet.

So "I have to go" may not mean that one needs to *leave*, but rather that one needs to use the toilet. The exact meaning is usually clear from context, in much the same way subjects are frequently implied in Japanese: "寒い" is a complete sentence, "it is cold", consisting only of an adjective.

What I was saying is that when I do something in the toilet, I don't normally get anything on my hands. That would be really bad technique.

Even if I did, my skin secretes oils that help prevent bacterial visitors from doing me harm. So do yours. If you shake hands with me, any bacteria I transfer to you are already hampered by my oily defenses, and your own will help finish the job.

Washing your hands takes those oils OFF your hands, and it's a good fifteen to twenty minutes before they return to full efficiency. So while unwashed hands may carry loads of bacteria, those bacteria are largely harmless unless introduced directly to the mucus membranes or other internal structures. Freshly cleansed hands, however, are doing absolutely nothing to combat the denizens of that horrible disease-ridden door you have to open on your way OUT of the bathroom... where they have been breeding and mutating and plotting your gruesome demise for who knows HOW long.

You have to weigh the risks. Is what I would wash off my hands dirtier than what I'm about to touch? My bits and pieces aren't anywhere near as dirty as the unchecked bacterial cesspool on the door handle, so usually, no. But if I were to go berserk and splatter something all over myself, I'd probably be better off washing.

Some people wash their hands, and after drying them use the paper towel as a barrier when they open the door. They can then discard the towel in the next available trash can, and they haven't touched the door. What these people forget is that the air in and around a bathroom is literally teeming with coliform bacteria anyway, so just walking *past* it gets your hands dirty.

Feel like holding your breath yet? Yuk.

And it still doesn't change the fact that bowing is *always* cleaner than shaking hands, but come on, people. It's not like we spit in each other's mouths as a greeting.
CDarklock

Postby hyperconjugated » Wed 02.15.2006 8:01 pm

From the Don King movie:
Don King had just finished taking a piss and as he walks out the bathroom someone says "damn man you're gross don't you wash ur hands after taking a piss?" Don King replies "no sir i believe you are gross, i wash my hands before i touch my dick."

B)

and to sponsor the new forum:

hyperconjugated

Native language: Finnish

Postby coco » Wed 02.15.2006 10:16 pm

In America, "go" is sometimes used as an abbreviation for "go to the toilet"

Thanks for explanation. It cleared out the clouds of my suspicion.l will get peaceful sleep tonight^^ also good to know about moisturizing effect in our skin. Especially ↓
fifteen to twenty minutes before they return to full efficiency.

...now, I have to go^^;
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Postby Infidel » Thu 02.16.2006 11:51 am

rofl
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby Dierdre » Mon 02.20.2006 12:14 am

We dont do handshakes so much,we do the kiss on the cheek thing..
personally,i dont like it,not because i worry about germs or whatever,i just dont like to get touched by most people, so i'd choose the bow for that reason.
-This world is not made for you and I
It\'s built on blood and a million lies-
Dierdre

Previous

Return to General off topic