Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - A little guidance?

A little guidance?

The test - experiences, questions or comments

A little guidance?

Postby Ethereality117 » Mon 02.20.2006 3:30 am

I began learning Japanese only a very short while ago; about the beginning of this month. Between a full time night shift job, school, homework, and tennis, I can only study for roughly an hour everyday, maybe a little more on the weekends. My question is, should I aim for the 4 kyuu or put out the extra effort for 3 since I have nearly a year? Also, are there any recommended books and so on to help me get as far as possible in the time I have? I can't attend a class as it is not offered at my high school and I don't know what materials to use when learning on my own.
Ethereality117

RE: A little guidance?

Postby Sachi » Mon 02.20.2006 1:15 pm

Well, I really only have one book, but so far it's excellent. I've been studying almost 3 months now with it, and have progressed enormously from my prior web experience.

The books: Genki vol. 1 (text)
Genki vol. 1 (workbook)
Genki vol. 1 (audio CD)

Other: This site!
http://www.guidetojapanese.org/

Hope that helps, and good luck :)
Sachi

Postby Ethereality117 » Mon 02.20.2006 1:55 pm

Thanks. I'll see if I can't get a copy of it. Anybody know if Japanese for Busy People is good?
Ethereality117

Postby S-san » Mon 02.20.2006 2:04 pm

It's okay, It is a good pratice exercise. But everyone has different prefrences. It's been a while since I have looked at them but, they have basic things to learn and help with pronunciation.
愛  尊敬  刃  真保する  湯人  気  忠義な
                 心  
S-san

Postby angstycoder » Mon 02.20.2006 2:05 pm

I'm using Japanese for Busy People now. I've really only read it briefly, as I stopped to learn kana first. It seems light on grammar.

Do a search, as someone has reviewed that book on here somewhere in some forum.
angstycoder

Postby lilguy9332 » Mon 02.20.2006 3:20 pm

can some1 plz tell me about this 1 2 3 4 kyu thingy and bout the jlpt test how i can take it nd also is there more quizzess on this site besides the on listed in lesson then quizzes
ohayo!
lilguy9332

Postby CrazzyWarrior » Mon 02.20.2006 4:04 pm

lilguy9332 wrote:
can some1 plz tell me about this 1 2 3 4 kyu thingy and bout the jlpt test how i can take it nd also is there more quizzess on this site besides the on listed in lesson then quizzes

the JLPT or 1-4 kyuu is a test on the japanese language it goes from 4 Kyuu being the easiest to 1 Kyuu being the hardest, i am working to Kyuu 4 at somepoint, but dont have much time so it might be a while, i had been working with spoken but im now moving to writen as then the very least i could write things to comunicate with others if i cant say something or dont know how yada yada, i dont know much more then that like where you can take the test, but one thing is you prolly could in japan tho, lol
私の名前はセスです。
Watashi no namae ha seth desu.
[英訳] The ko (accumulated wisdom) of an old man is more precious than the ko (shell) of a tortoise.
「甲」と「劫」が同音であるところからできたことわざ。「劫」は極めて長い時間のことをいう。年長者の経験は尊ぶべきである。
CrazzyWarrior

Postby Chess » Tue 05.09.2006 10:02 am

Sachi wrote:
Well, I really only have one book, but so far it's excellent. I've been studying almost 3 months now with it, and have progressed enormously from my prior web experience.

The books: Genki vol. 1 (text)
Genki vol. 1 (workbook)
Genki vol. 1 (audio CD)

Other: This site!
http://www.guidetojapanese.org/

Hope that helps, and good luck :)

That's helpfull thanks
Chess

Return to Japanese Language Proficiency Test