Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - It's a Kanji Game~!!!

It's a Kanji Game~!!!

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

It's a Kanji Game~!!!

Postby kohana » Mon 02.20.2006 7:05 pm

All right. This is for people who want to learn kanji but have a hard time with it... ^^
Here's how the game works. Each participant will represent one of the Level 4 kanji (unless there aren't enough). Please make sure they are 4 kyuu and not 3 kyuu kanji!!!Sign up for a kanji by PMing me and then I'll edit this post with your username ASAP. (Make sure to INCLUDE YOUR KANJI CHARACTER in your PM.) From then on it'll be sort of like a Kanji RPG: Whenever you post, make sure to use your kanji at least once in your post, and it should be in a proper sentence, not just thrown in at the end. This way, we'll all get practice using the kanji and reading them, and become more familiar with all the kanji. When you use a kanji in a sentence, include the meaning in parentheses by it. Example: "The 花(flower) was tall and pretty." <<See the second post in this thread for more>>

Rules:
If you notice that a person who's on the signed-up list hasn't posted in more than two weeks, please PM me. The only reason we have to do this is so that people won't miss out on some of the kanji because the person who represents it isn't participating.
Please post in English for the beginners and people who are not yet familiar with the kana.
Please don't go off on random tangents like "I like cheese," because it only serves to irritate others.
Please make sure you know your kana before signing up for the Kanji Game. Thanks ;)

Let's try this out and see how it goes... PM me for suggestions or if you don't think this was a great idea. I don't know, I just thought it would be good to try. :D

Here's how the list works-
Kanji number: meaning: common pronunication: kanji (username)

Kanji List
34: now: ima: 今 (theshadowtaker)
63: river : kawa: 川 (Fushiko Nishinho)
65: ten: heaven, sky: 天 (Sachi)
73: yen: en: 円 (JMelchiades)
95: flower: hana: 花 (kohana)
Last edited by kohana on Wed 02.22.2006 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kohana

RE: It's a Kanji Game~!!!

Postby kohana » Mon 02.20.2006 11:25 pm

To start off the game:
There was one 花 in the middle of the field.

<<note. you can do sentences like this, or in romanized Japanese too, if it makes more sense that way. Or both.>>
kohana

Postby CrazzyWarrior » Tue 02.21.2006 12:02 am

Through this field was a 川(river) that provided water to the single 花(flower).

we should do it this way, ie. 川(river) so thoe who are new wont have to keep looing at the top for what they are and will help them associate them.
私の名前はセスです。
Watashi no namae ha seth desu.
[英訳] The ko (accumulated wisdom) of an old man is more precious than the ko (shell) of a tortoise.
「甲」と「劫」が同音であるところからできたことわざ。「劫」は極めて長い時間のことをいう。年長者の経験は尊ぶべきである。
CrazzyWarrior

Postby kohana » Tue 02.21.2006 12:09 am

all right, that's a good idea. i'll add it up there.

The 花(flower) was white and small, and it had begun to wilt.
kohana

Postby CrazzyWarrior » Tue 02.21.2006 12:17 am

The 日(sun) saw the little 花(flower). The 日(sun) was sad to see it wilting and called the 月(moon) and 川(river) to help the 花(flower).
私の名前はセスです。
[英訳] The ko (accumulated wisdom) of an old man is more precious than the ko (shell) of a tortoise.
CrazzyWarrior

Postby keatonatron » Tue 02.21.2006 4:29 am

...Why not use the kanji in real Japanese sentences? Using them this way, people will just read the english along with the rest of the sentence and won't be forced to learn the reading/meaning in Japanese.
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby CrazzyWarrior » Tue 02.21.2006 2:57 pm

keatonatron wrote:
...Why not use the kanji in real Japanese sentences? Using them this way, people will just read the english along with the rest of the sentence and won't be forced to learn the reading/meaning in Japanese.

i am not understanding what you mean
私の名前はセスです。
CrazzyWarrior

Postby Sachi » Tue 02.21.2006 3:11 pm

I think keatonatron means to go like this

「日は小さい花を見ました。」
"The sun saw the little flower."

Instead of

"The 日(sun) saw the little 花(flower)."

Edit: And kohana, if you want to keep it simple, why not just use very basic sentences like the one I posted above?
Last edited by Sachi on Tue 02.21.2006 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sachi

Postby richvh » Tue 02.21.2006 4:00 pm

Story so far:
ある はたけ の 中 に 一つ の 花 が いました。
Aru hatake no naka ni hitotsu no hana ga imashita.
There was a single flower in the middle of the field.
この はたけ の 中 に 花 に 水 を 上げた 川 が ありました。
Kono hatake no naka ni hana ni mizu o ageta kawa ga arimashita.
Through this field was a river that provided water to the single flower.
花 は 白くて 小さくて しぼみ はじまりました。
Hana wa shirokute chiisakute shibomi hajimarimashita.
The flower was white and small, and had begun to wilt.
日 は 花 を 見ました。
Hi wa hana o mimashita.
The sun saw the flower.
日 は しぼんだ 花 を 見た から かなしかった、
Hi wa shibonda hana o mita kara kanashikatta.
The sun was sad to see it wilting,
そして 月 と 川 に 花 を たすける と 聞きました。
soshite tsuki to kawa ni hana o tasukeru to kikimashita.
and asked the moon and the river to help the flower.

Some of those sentences (most of them, really) are a bit complicated, but like Sachi said, if you don't want complicated sentences in Japanese, write simple sentences in English. All the kanji I used are 4kyuu, but I don't know if all the vocabulary and grammar is or not.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby kohana » Tue 02.21.2006 8:00 pm

What I was getting at (see the second post) is that if it's a simple sentence that can be easily understood, feel free to write it in romaji with the translation provided for beginners. However, I think we shouldn't do kana (yet), because the main focus is on the kanji. :) I'm open to suggestions right now, it was just an idea, so the edges are a little rough. ^^

-- The moon, too, was sad to see the 花 (flower).
kohana

Postby richvh » Tue 02.21.2006 11:02 pm

kohana wrote:
What I was getting at (see the second post) is that if it's a simple sentence that can be easily understood, feel free to write it in romaji with the translation provided for beginners. However, I think we shouldn't do kana (yet), because the main focus is on the kanji. :) I'm open to suggestions right now, it was just an idea, so the edges are a little rough. ^^

-- The moon, too, was sad to see the 花 (flower).

Why not do kana? Anyone working on learning kanji should already have a working of kana. Anyway, I'm not planning on contributing to the story, just do running translations (and, hopefully, not make too many grammar mistakes.)

月も花を見るのがかなしかった。
Tsuki mo hana wo miru no ga kanashikatta.
The moon, too, was sad to see the flower.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby CrazzyWarrior » Wed 02.22.2006 12:17 am

So the 日(sun) and 月(moon) and (river) made a plan to help the little 花(flower) to be happy.
The 日(sun) and 川(river) worked durring the day and 月(moon) and 川(river) at night to find a loving 人(person).

richvh, are you going to do the story translated? if so could you have it seperated out like do it

All the Kanji/Kana
All the Romanji
All the english

rather then

Kanji/Kana first line
Romanji First line
English first line
Kanji/kana second line
私の名前はセスです。
CrazzyWarrior

Postby kohana » Wed 02.22.2006 12:35 am

Hmm, I see your point. The kana is fine, I guess, if it has the romaji translation with it. However, I think we might want to do a continuation of the translation in parentheses beside each kanji, though. Thanks for your translation help ^^ because I am having problems writing in kana on my computer. I'm trying to fix it ASAP.

:edit: sorry- That post was in reply to richvh's last one. :)
Last edited by kohana on Wed 02.22.2006 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
kohana

Postby richvh » Wed 02.22.2006 12:24 pm

Story so far:
ある はたけ の 中 に 一つ の 花 が いました。 この はたけ の 中 に 花 に 水 を 上げた 川 が ありました。  花 は 白くて 小さくて しぼみ はじまりました。

日 は 花 を 見ました。  日 は しぼんだ 花 を 見た から かなしかった です、 そして 月 と 川 に 花 を たすける と 聞きました。

月 も 花 を 見る の が かなしかった です。 だから、日 と 月 と 川 は 花 が しあわせ に なる けいりゃく を めぐらしました。 日 と 川 は 日中 に そして 月 と 川 は よる の 間 に あいご する 人 を 見つけよう しました。

-------------

Aru hatake no naka ni hitotsu no hana ga imashita. Kono hatake no naka ni hana ni mizu o ageta kawa ga arimashita. Hana wa shirokute chiisakute shibomi hajimarimashita.

Hi wa hana o mimashita. Hi wa shibonda hana o mita kara kanashikatta desu, soshite tsuki to kawa ni hana o tasukeru to kikimashita.

Tsuki mo hana wo miru no ga kanashikatta desu. Dakara, hi to tsuki to kawa wa hana ga shiawase ni naru keiryaku o megurashimashita. Hi to kawa ha nicchuu ni soshite tsuki to kawa ha yoru no aida ni aigo suru hito wo mitsukeyou shimashita.

-------------

There was a single flower in the middle of the field. Through this field was a river that provided water to the single flower. The flower was white and small, and had begun to wilt.

The sun saw the flower. The sun was sad to see it wilting, and asked the moon and the river to help the flower.

The moon, too, was sad to see the flower. So the sun and moon and river made a plan to help the little flower to be happy. The sun and river worked during the day and moon and river at night to find a loving person.
Last edited by richvh on Wed 02.22.2006 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby Sachi » Wed 02.22.2006 1:09 pm

I’m still with keeping it very simple. The sentences in English are complicated in Japanese, and the only part real beginners can understand is the English, which distracts from the kanji.

Also, I feel bad for making people like richvh translate.

Maybe this won’t go anywhere after all.
Sachi

Next

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips