Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Some odd WW2 facts

Some odd WW2 facts

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

RE: Some odd WW2 facts

Postby Shibakoen » Mon 02.20.2006 7:37 pm

Not that death and war are cool or funny but OMG, ROFLMAO.

sgtkwol wrote:
Very interesting, thanks for the info. People don't realize that the swastika has been around for a while, one of the greek gods sat on one as a throne or something like that.

You'll also note that swastikas demarcate(sp?) temples on Japanese maps. I was surprised when I first when to Kamakura and on this big map near the station (kita-kamakura) there were like 20 swastikas. I'm like, :o.
Shibakoen

Postby k_angel » Mon 02.20.2006 9:07 pm

The swastika is also a kanji...it is read as 'ban'...
k_angel

Postby Infidel » Tue 02.21.2006 2:42 am

Shibakoen wrote:
Not that death and war are cool or funny but OMG, ROFLMAO.

I found #9 extremely funny. I try to imagine how a toilet can sink a u-boat. The image in my mind vaccilates between a toilet bounching around the sub eating the Germans like a rabid dog, or a Devil posseses the toilet and spews water over everything.
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby WacKostRacKo » Tue 02.21.2006 8:54 am

Infidel wrote:
11. Following a massive naval bombardment 35,000 US and
Canadian troops stormed ashore at Kiska, in the Aleutian Islands. 21
troops were killed in the firefight. It would have been even worse if there had been any Japanese on the island.

err.... who was shooting at them if there was 21 soldiers killed in the firefight. Or was it a case of more 'friendly fire' by the Americans?
tanuki wrote:
How about:

外人: これはすしです。すしが好きです。
日本人: おお!日本語が上手ですね。
外人: Erm....what?

story of my life...
WacKostRacKo

Postby keatonatron » Tue 02.21.2006 9:08 am

I think you need to clarify that one Infidel ;)

From what I understand, the island was deserted, but they didn't know that. In the process of bombing it and assaulting it with 35,000 troops, 21 people were killed (friendly fire, accidents).

Kinda like how at the beginning of the Iraq war more people were killed by helicopter crashes and the such than actual fighting.
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby Milmi » Tue 02.21.2006 9:40 am

coco wrote:
hehe, Infidel 山.

I guess you joking, but in the case your not try look at this...
Milmi

Postby keatonatron » Tue 02.21.2006 10:02 am

Of course coco was joking. You'll notice Infidel is the one who wrote "For a few weeks I was appending 山 to everyone's name".
keatonatron

Postby Infidel » Tue 02.21.2006 11:43 am

keatonatron wrote:
I think you need to clarify that one Infidel ;)

From what I understand, the island was deserted, but they didn't know that. In the process of bombing it and assaulting it with 35,000 troops, 21 people were killed (friendly fire, accidents).

Kinda like how at the beginning of the Iraq war more people were killed by helicopter crashes and the such than actual fighting.

What Keatonatron said. When you have that many people with minimal training performing forced manuver with live munitions and heavy vehichles, bad things are inevitable. Just think of all the accidents that happen in training and on bases today with our high safety standards. At that time safety wasn't even a moderate concern. Everyone was leaving it to "common sense"

I feel sorry for those poor Koreans too. When we captured them I'm sure the Koreans were thinking, "Great! We get to fight for yet another army!"
Last edited by Infidel on Tue 02.21.2006 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby Shibakoen » Wed 02.22.2006 12:30 pm

My girlfriend's grandfather was Shiro Ishii!:o. Not that Shiro Ishii, though, I'm sure. According to Wikipedia that guy died in the 50s, long before my girlfriend was even born. Besides, her grandfather was a high school teacher. It's just when I saw the name I was like, :o.
Shibakoen

Postby keatonatron » Thu 02.23.2006 3:54 am

It's a pretty common name... But still, you know your girlfriend well enough to know her grandparents' names? I'm impressed.
keatonatron

Postby Max Maxter » Thu 08.03.2006 3:13 pm

I've heard a story about a Pennsylvania dentist who sold the U.S. military on the idea of a "bat bomb" to use against the Japanese. The concept was something like this:

1. A lot (and I mean a LOT!) of bats would be equipped with timed incendiary devices (using napalm? I don't recall) and stored in a bombshell which was specially designed to accommodate the bats.
2. An airplane would drop the bomb, which would release the bats in the air before it hit the ground. At this point, the incendiary devices' timers would start counting down.
3. The bats, ever fond of the dark, would hunker down under Japanese roofs and other shady places.
4. The bats would just stay there until the incendiary devices ignited (which was about a half-hour after their release). It would have been especially devastating against Japanese settlements since they were entirely/mostly made out of wood.

After finding the perfect bat specimen and designing the ideal incendiary device, the military proceeded to test the bat bomb. They constructed a mock Japanese town in New Mexico and dropped the bomb; everything went according to plan. The bats went straight for the shade, and once they went "KABOOM", the town was instantly set ablaze! Following the success of this test, the military went ahead with plans to drop the bat bomb over the Osaka-Kobe area. Unfortunately, these plans were scrapped once the A-bomb came into being.
Last edited by Max Maxter on Tue 11.14.2006 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Max Maxter

Postby two_heads_talking » Thu 08.03.2006 4:22 pm

pre WWII americans saluted the flag by extending their hands toward it.. but when hitler used that same salute to address his troops, it was soon abolished and americans started covering their hearts when pledging allegiance to the flag.

here is a story i can't remember where i read it.. .. i think this was in response to someone asking about burning the flag.. etc..

""While not having desecrated anything myself lately, still I felt a heavy burden of guilt and worry lifted from my shoulders. It reminded me that among my many other unholy acts, I still was not sure what to do with my hand while pledging my allegiance to the flag. Have pity on those of us who are that old. I’m from the pre WWII generation that was taught to salute the flag by pointing to it.

When I was eventually taught to keep my arm to myself, preferably over my heart, I didn’t realize it was because the gesture of the extended arm resembled the Nazi salute. Think of it. Americans being taught to seig heil, even before Hitler was Hitler. Shows how sinister he was. ""
two_heads_talking

Postby kanadajin » Thu 08.03.2006 5:25 pm

friendly fire.. thats gotta suck

I like #2 He must have looked pretty old to get away with that >_>
kanadajin

Postby ComradeJoe » Thu 08.03.2006 6:19 pm

Another odd fact would be the Dog Bombs that the soviets were playing with at the beginning of the war. As the name implies, it consisted in an explosive charge tied to the back of a dog trained to run at enemy tanks. It was used in combat only once because the dogs got scared and ran back at their soviet masters, and you can guess what happened.

This isn't exactly a fact, more like a funny story: during the battle of Kiev in 1941, a drunk russian soldier (because nothing brings-out the man in you like a nice shot of Vodka ;))climbed on top of a damaged german Panzer III, opened the half-blasted-off hatch and poured the contents of a vodka bottle he had on him on the bewildered german tank crew. Moments later, the tank exploded due to a spark caused by a shortcircuit in the turrets electric turning system. Most likely fantasy, but funny nonetheless.
Last edited by ComradeJoe on Thu 08.03.2006 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ComradeJoe

Postby Budomaru » Thu 08.03.2006 11:30 pm

Sachi wrote:
Nice post, Infidel :D

sgtkwol wrote:
People don't realize that the swastika has been around for a while, one of the greek gods sat on one as a throne or something like that.

:p I studied ancient Greece a little last year, but never heard that. Haha!

greek students study ancient greek history and language for years in highschool - i dont think any of us have actually heard this at school :P but then again, at school they claim greece never did imperialistic wars....

the swastika is also a kanji 卍 - pronounced "まんじ" in japanese. Wikipedia article on the Swastika - "まんじ" means "the Chinese character for eternality" 万字 - according to the article :P and is a buddhist symbol.
You know you've been hanging around a forum too long when people start quoting you and agreeing :P
Budomaru

PreviousNext

Return to General off topic