Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - The chat room

The chat room

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

The chat room

Postby Sukebe Uchuujin » Thu 02.23.2006 4:12 pm

[center]i hope anyone wont take this the wrong way.......
but.....

WHATS GOING ON WITH THE CHAT ROOM????

i remember just a few months ago when you could find people actually wanting to study and practice japanese there.......

now it just seems to be teenagers abusing each other and constant 'a/s/l?' PM's......

maybe its cos im an old man........but i just dont like it.......
where are redfoxer san,rich san,carys san,coco san etc????

PLEASE come back!!!!

if another 14 year old PM's me asking 'a/s/l?' fishing to see if im a cute japanese girl and i have to type '30ish/m/nagari boshi' again im just going to break down and cry........

I guess what i wanna say is i dont object to newbs.....im kinda one myself....but if you just wanna chat each other up and talk crap there are a MILLION other chat rooms....dont drag this one down to the same level PLEASE[/center]
Last edited by Sukebe Uchuujin on Thu 02.23.2006 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sukebe Uchuujin

RE: The chat room

Postby Harisenbon » Thu 02.23.2006 8:46 pm

Depends when you go in there. If you go in there after work (Japanese Time) you'll find a lot more Japanese people or people who live in Japan/Asia who are trying to learn Japanese and will help you out.

Also, stay out of General Chat. ;)

Whenever I go in I always find someone I can chat to in Japanese. If there's no one in "Chat in Japanese" I usually don't go in because I know what General Chat will entail.

I think my favorite PM session went like this
Him: Hi. Are you from Japan?
Me: I live in Japan, yes.
Him: How old are you?
Me: umm.. 25, why?
Him: Girl?
Me: No. Why?
Me: Hello?
:D
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby Zeo » Thu 02.23.2006 8:57 pm

Good question this actually. Well, I see from the time I used the chatroom much more often, there where many people there wanting to learn japanese.
And I remember as the time went, many of the same people were there, but now, they suddenly didn't study japanese? Or at least not as much as before.

I guess many of the people there have tried to study japanese and had the right attitude for a little period, but suddenly they almost forgot the japanese studies because they only chatted much.
I guess this might be one reason, I don't know.

Sadly I don't visit the chatrooms as much as before anylonger, lot's of much more important things to do. :p

Well, there isn't anything we can do about this, though. ;)
But I often meet people there who study japanese also. So I, personally, wouldn't say there is no people there trying to study japaense. :)
Zeo

Native language: Norwegian

Postby Daisuke » Thu 02.23.2006 9:10 pm

Harisenbon wrote:
I think my favorite PM session went like this
Him: Hi. Are you from Japan?
Me: I live in Japan, yes.
Him: How old are you?
Me: umm.. 25, why?
Him: Girl?
Me: No. Why?
:D

lol, Harisenbon! :D .. But he spoke proper English, it seems? I'd almost say, some of the persons, who contact me use slang that is far beyond my knowledge, hehe. :p
Daisuke
Site Admin

Postby MegumiA » Tue 03.07.2006 1:11 am

Haha! Yeah, chat rooms seem to be like that! Perhaps I will take Harisenbon's advice, and go for Japan's 'after work' time for more authentic help! :)
Do it or regret not.
MegumiA

Postby Infidel » Tue 03.07.2006 1:32 am

heh, My favorite was the guy that came into the chat in Japanese room and immediatly started cussing because he couldn't understand anyone.

My only answer to Sukebe is time. If you go on at the wrong time then it's just the losers anime geeks comiserating. The ones that think Anime is the epitome if Japanese culture and want to hook up with Japanese chicks because they are supposed to be easy.
Last edited by Infidel on Tue 03.07.2006 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby keatonatron » Tue 03.07.2006 3:27 am

And we all know the Japanese chicks living in the states spend all their time on a website made for people who don't yet speak Japanese....
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby Daisuke » Tue 03.07.2006 6:29 am

purple heart wrote:
some of the persons, who contact me use slang that is far beyond my knowledge, hehe.
-To quote Mr.Daisuke

Well,Sir, if i am not wrong , i have never seen you at the chat-room:( i wish you were there..

I have not had much time lately. I will try to come online more.. ;)
Daisuke
Site Admin

Postby Infidel » Tue 03.07.2006 7:48 am

purple heart wrote:
hook up with Japanese chicks
-infidel(quoted)

my i ask something,plz?-------> WhAT is eXactlY Going ON in this forum?

the Japanese chicks living in the states spend all their time on a website made for people who don't yet speak Japanese....
--------->'disastrous truth'..but a harsh thing to say about the person concerned..

my thing is ..go and catch the collars of her/him, whoever does have no knowledge of Japanese and steps into the website or Chat room, whichever you think sUitable and NOT the one who made the site . :|

What are you talking about?
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby keatonatron » Tue 03.07.2006 10:52 am

Wow, that is one of the most nonsensical posts I have ever read. Congrats Purple Heart.
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby Satoyaki » Tue 03.07.2006 11:24 am

Sukebe Uchujin wrote:
[center]i hope anyone wont take this the wrong way.......
but.....

WHATS GOING ON WITH THE CHAT ROOM????

i remember just a few months ago when you could find people actually wanting to study and practice japanese there.......

now it just seems to be teenagers abusing each other and constant 'a/s/l?' PM's......

maybe its cos im an old man........but i just dont like it.......
where are redfoxer san,rich san,carys san,coco san etc????

PLEASE come back!!!!

if another 14 year old PM's me asking 'a/s/l?' fishing to see if im a cute japanese girl and i have to type '30ish/m/nagari boshi' again im just going to break down and cry........

I guess what i wanna say is i dont object to newbs.....im kinda one myself....but if you just wanna chat each other up and talk crap there are a MILLION other chat rooms....dont drag this one down to the same level PLEASE[/center]

I just joined to learn japanese, so far, not much progress. -_-
Satoyaki

Postby maryryu » Tue 03.07.2006 12:08 pm

hi there im a newbie here
maryryu

Postby alex_2096 » Tue 03.07.2006 12:17 pm

yeah i came across a random guy pming me when i was in the chat in japanese room asking me weird questions, cos i had kana on i typed back in japanese, he was like what was that... he had know idea that the chat rooms were for thejapanesepage.com, and he had no interest in learning japanese!! i was like 'Da hell is goin on!!'
as harinsenbon says beware of the general chat!!
alex_2096

Postby aKuMu » Tue 03.07.2006 12:25 pm

lol yea, i dont get pms but i get msn contacts from guys, seeing then that im NOT a female (why do i have to be a female when i have a woman as avatar? lol) and then never write again :D
aKuMu

Native language: German

Postby Satoyaki » Tue 03.07.2006 12:53 pm

men don't use pictures of women to represent them unless they're, y'know...

but hey, I just use pictures of myself ;) go authenticity!
Satoyaki

Next

Return to General off topic