Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Japan Meetup

Japan Meetup

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

Japan Meetup

Postby Harisenbon » Thu 02.23.2006 9:03 pm

Alrighty, so I was wondering.
Who of us that live in Japan would be willing to get together for a big meetup/drinking/karaoke Something?

Depending on where everyone lives, we can decide on a place. Since many of us are teachers, maybe we could do it on a weekend during spring break, which is coming up soon. =)

Any takers?

I live in Gifu, so anywhere between Tokyo and Osaka is good for me.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

RE: Japan Meetup

Postby Zeo » Thu 02.23.2006 9:12 pm

Hehe, I would love to see you sing Karaoke harisenbon!! :D
Though I would have to travel half the world to see it. And sadly my money don't let me do that for the moment. :P And I don't think my school would let me either. :p ;)
Let's catch it up in some years. :p ;)

Well anyway, sounds like a great idea. :) I will stick this thread for a period. :) Then "un-sticky" it after the meating, then if a new meeting should come up, make a new thread and I could sticky it again ;)

Let's Videotape the karaoke part when Clay and Harisenbon sings "oops I did it again" in a duet. :D
Zeo

Native language: Norwegian

Postby coco » Thu 02.23.2006 9:19 pm

How about this plan ?
*eats shouronpo*
*knocks on someone's door*
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Postby Mukade » Fri 02.24.2006 12:15 am

Do they have roads and cars out in Gifu? I heard you guys all ride horses to school and stuff.

Anyway, I could probably make it as far as Nagoya. I've driven there before, and it takes about 3-4 hours - that's not too bad.

Since my wife's got a friend in Nagoya, I can dump her off at her friend's apartment and then head to the nearest izakaya.

I can already hear the Mission Impossible music playing in my head.... B)
Mukade

Native language: English

Postby Harisenbon » Fri 02.24.2006 1:28 am

heard you guys all ride horses to school and stuff.

Man, we WISH we had horses. Usually we just have to find a 後輩, saddle them up and ride them to school. I'm so glad I'm not the youngest in my office any more. ;)

Nagoya would work for me. It's equally close to tokyo as well, so Keatonron <sp> and Coco could make it as well. I can find some good izakaya there and send everyone directions. (and depending on the number of people, warn them that a large number of gaijin are going to be decending upon them *grin* )
Harisenbon

Postby zengargoyle » Fri 02.24.2006 2:26 am

i'm so jealous of all you expat-ish folk. take pictures!
zengargoyle

Postby keatonatron » Fri 02.24.2006 9:52 am

Thanks for thinking of me, but even Nagoya's a bit too far. It costs over 5000 yen each way, and adding in the costs for izakaya and/or karaoke, it's a bit too much for this poor college student. I could do with anywhere in 東京都 or 神奈川県.
keatonatron

Postby Harisenbon » Sun 02.26.2006 12:23 am

I could do Tokyo, probably, but I think it might be really hard for Mukade.
Anyone know of a cheaper way to get down to Nagoya? Osaka would be right out for you, wouldn't it, Keatonatron?
Harisenbon

Postby I-samu » Sun 02.26.2006 12:36 am

If it's spring break, I'm there.
I'll be at my uncle Masanori's house for a few weeks.
[][][][]
I-samu

Postby coco » Sun 02.26.2006 12:49 am

Anyone know of a cheaper way to get down to Nagoya?

how about 青春18きっぷ?
http://www2s.biglobe.ne.jp/~sakana/18kippu.htm
http://www.ekicho.com/domestic/seishun.php
時間のある人にはお勧めです。
http://www.tabitetsu.com/ao18/kihon.html
このサイトは更新日が古いから要注意。↑
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Postby keatonatron » Sun 02.26.2006 2:24 am

I am planning a trip to Osaka at some point (probably this summer). I'll let you guys know when I go.

I could probably go by bus to Nagoya for less, but that'd be a pain :)
keatonatron

Postby natemb » Sun 02.26.2006 3:33 am

keatonatron, did you see coco's post? The 青春18きっぷ are definitely a good option. With these tickets (available during spring break) you can take as many JR trains as you want during one day, excluding shinkansen and express trains.

You can get a single sheet with 5 tickets for about 11,000円, but you can't separate the tickets to use individually. Instead they stamp them as you use them. But if you go to a discount ticket store, you can probably find a ticket that someone has used 4 times and sold for around 2,000円. If not, you can buy a full ticket, use it once or twice, and sell it back to the discount store (this will end up being a little more expensive).

As for me, I would be up for a meeting in Nagoya during spring break. My suggestion, if people don't mind, is to do it early, maybe at lunch time, or afternoon and an early dinner. That way all of us who didn't want to spend the night could get there and back in one day for cheap with the JR pass (and not have to pay for lodging). In my case, if I left around 8:30, that would give me enough time to get back to Kyoto before midnight.

Another option, though, if people want to stay overnight, is to find a ryokan or something that has karaoke and hang out there for the evening.

I must say I'm very curious to meet you all in person!
Last edited by natemb on Sun 02.26.2006 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
natemb

Postby keatonatron » Sun 02.26.2006 6:28 am

Yeah, I saw it but the killer is:

excluding shinkansen and express trains

I know Mukade said he was willing to drive for 4 hours and whatnot, but as much as I love you guys I'm not really excited about sitting on the train for 6 hours (and 5 transfers) each way.

I'd rather just plan something for when I'm going to Osaka anyway. Living in Kyoto, you can get there in 15 minutes for 2000 yen. That ain't bad! You could easily go after work or whatever it is you do.
keatonatron

Postby natemb » Sun 02.26.2006 8:57 am

Yeah, 6 hours is definitely a bit much. Osaka would be ideal for me (and of course Mukade), so if others are down with that, it would be great...
natemb

Postby clay » Mon 02.27.2006 1:17 pm

Sounds exciting. Wish I were in Japan now! Actually, with all the travelling I've done recently, I am very happy to be here in Florida...

Like someone said, take pictures and post them here (or email me and I will post them).
clay
Site Admin

Next

Return to General off topic