Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Citizenship: Does it help if you are part Japanese.

Citizenship: Does it help if you are part Japanese.

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Citizenship: Does it help if you are part Japanese.

Postby I-samu » Sat 02.25.2006 9:10 pm

My Uncle, he has a high position at a company.
He says if I take the right classes, and master Japanese, he could hire me.
That sounds good, and if I do decide to take that job, I'll be living in Japan, and apply citizenship.

But citizenship.....
Does it help becomeing a citizen of Japan if you are part Japanese and you have lots of family there? I have many cousins, many aunts and uncles, a pari of grandparents, and many great aunts and uncles. Would this increase my chance at all?
Last edited by I-samu on Sat 02.25.2006 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[][][][]
I-samu

RE: Citizenship: Does it help if you are part Japanese.

Postby coco » Sat 02.25.2006 9:41 pm

You should erase Company's name. Otherwise your uncle will be in trouble.
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Postby Daisuke » Sat 02.25.2006 10:02 pm

coco wrote:

I did now.. I don't see exactly why you think he'd be in trouble tho'..

Well, The only isamu can always write it back in if he wants to..
Daisuke
Site Admin

Postby Shibakoen » Sat 02.25.2006 11:24 pm

It helps if you can play soccer!B)
Shibakoen

Postby keatonatron » Sat 02.25.2006 11:58 pm

Being half, I would think you'd have a good chance. You'd have to give up American citizenship though, which is something you should think long and hard about. (Are you American? I don't remember....)

If you're working, you can of course get a working visa, and be a registered alien. Even better, since you're half you can get a long-term resident visa. I have a friend who's only 1/4 Japanese, but since he has relatives in Japan he was able to get a long visa, like 6 years or something, and he doesn't even have to be working. And when that 6 years is up, I'm sure it'd be pretty possible to get it renewed.

Anyway, if you are American, you have to choose one or the other because America doesn't allow dual-citizenship. I'd much rather remain an American citizen with a long-term/permanent resident visa than become a Japanese citizen B)

Daisuke wrote:
coco wrote:

I don't see exactly why you think he'd be in trouble tho'..

Let me guess... is the company LiveDoor?? :D:D
Last edited by keatonatron on Sun 02.26.2006 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby Harisenbon » Sun 02.26.2006 12:44 am

LIke keatonatron said, there is a visa for "Spouse or Child of a Japanese National." That allows you to live in Japan for as long as you would like, but you have a renewal period every few years or so.

You can file for Japanese citizenship, but you have to have lived in Japan for 5 (or 10 I can't remember) years, as well as "lead a lifestyle that is in harmony with Japanese culture." You must also be able to speak and read Japanese at an everday level.

Filing for Japanese citizenship takes a long time, and is a non-reversable process, since you will then have to give up your American citizenship. You can get a permanent visa much more easily, and still keep your American citizenship, However, you will not have some rights that Japnaese citizens have (such as owning land and voting).

Citizenship vs. 永住visa is something that I've been talking with my wife about for a while, and we still haven't come to a decision. One thing we know for sure is that we are going to wait until we're done having children before I switch natioanlities, so that my children will be dual-citizen (until they're 18) at which point they can choose for themselves where they want to live. If you are thinking of having children, or a family in Japan, I would suggest also thinking about the future of your children and spouse before changing your nationality.

Hope that helps.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby zengargoyle » Sun 02.26.2006 12:44 am

keatonatron wrote:
Anyway, if you are American, you have to choose one or the other because America doesn't allow dual-citizenship.

don't be so sure, IANAL but being curious i did some googling and found this. http://www.richw.org/dualcit/faq.html

seems to be that recent changes make dual-citizenship possible. i think the truth is that they don't want to loose their income from taxation.

if i read correctly you pretty much have to go to the counselate and formally denounce citizenship to loose it. so if Japan is willing to allow dual-citizinship (or even asks you to denounce your US citizenship but doesn't make you do it infront of US government officials) then as far as the US is concerend you're still a citizen...

Note: IANAL == I am not a lawyer.
zengargoyle

Postby I-samu » Sun 02.26.2006 12:50 am

keatonatron wrote:
Being half, I would think you'd have a good chance. You'd have to give up American citizenship though, which is something you should think long and hard about. (Are you American? I don't remember....)

If you're working, you can of course get a working visa, and be a registered alien. Even better, since you're half you can get a long-term resident visa. I have a friend who's only 1/4 Japanese, but since he has relatives in Japan he was able to get a long visa, like 6 years or something, and he doesn't even have to be working. And when that 6 years is up, I'm sure it'd be pretty possible to get it renewed.

Anyway, if you are American, you have to choose one or the other because America doesn't allow dual-citizenship. I'd much rather remain an American citizen with a long-term/permanent resident visa than become a Japanese citizen B)

Daisuke wrote:
coco wrote:

I don't see exactly why you think he'd be in trouble tho'..

Let me guess... is the company LiveDoor?? :D:D

No, not livedoor.
[][][][]
I-samu

Postby I-samu » Sun 02.26.2006 12:52 am

zengargoyle wrote:
keatonatron wrote:
Anyway, if you are American, you have to choose one or the other because America doesn't allow dual-citizenship.

don't be so sure, IANAL but being curious i did some googling and found this. http://www.richw.org/dualcit/faq.html

seems to be that recent changes make dual-citizenship possible. i think the truth is that they don't want to loose their income from taxation.

if i read correctly you pretty much have to go to the counselate and formally denounce citizenship to loose it. so if Japan is willing to allow dual-citizinship (or even asks you to denounce your US citizenship but doesn't make you do it infront of US government officials) then as far as the US is concerend you're still a citizen...

Note: IANAL == I am not a lawyer.

Wow. An Illegal duel citizenship?
[][][][]
I-samu

Postby keatonatron » Sun 02.26.2006 2:20 am

It used to be if you were an American simply born in another country, you could choose to become a dual citizen when you turn 18. My brother was born in Germany, and was excited about being able to become a dual citizen. However, a few years before he turned 18 they changed the laws so he would have to choose one citizenship when he turned 18.

Of course there's always the "what they don't know won't hurt them" idea, but if you denounce American citizenship without them knowing, it could be considered a "conflict of interest" or even treason, which is pretty serious. I know that website said the Americans don't really care, and they probably wouldn't unless something came up... but it sounds really risky to me. Generally, holding two passports is a bad thing (ahem, spy?)

I have an acquaintance who is Korean, but lived in Canada. He was going back to visit Korea, but had a problem: for some reason he had a passport from both countries (I'm guessing he became a Canadian citizen but didn't tell the Koreans). He was asking my advice on what he should do, because if the Koreans found his Canadian passport he would be in BIG trouble (this is South Korea by the way). So I told him to just not take his Canadian passport (it was a bit more complicated because he was in Japan and had come on his Canadian passport and needed to use it to leave or something).

Anyway. If you take Japanese citizenship, coming to the states could get complicated (especially with the new security measures for foreigners. If you use your Japanese passport to leave Japan, and then your US passport to enter the US, they would see you don't have an exit stamp from Japan. And if you use your Japanese passport for both, you could only stay as a tourist in America, and when they scan your fingerprints as a forienger, they might find out your a regierested American...)
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby zengargoyle » Sun 02.26.2006 3:12 am

see also: US State Department, i guess it can get complicated with travel and whatnot. but since there is no constitutional provision against dual-citizenship i think i would give it a try. (now to just find some other country that will allow me to hold dual-citizenship :D )
zengargoyle

Postby Infidel » Sun 02.26.2006 3:54 am

Japan doesn't accept dual citizenship. If you want to become Japanese you have to revoke your US citizenship.
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby coco » Sun 02.26.2006 5:55 am

The only isamu wrote:
No, not livedoor.

Since you wrote your uncle's given name on the another thread, I identified your uncle's full name, his position. That is what I was afraid of. If you don't understand what I say, ask him or show him this thread.
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Postby Daisuke » Sun 02.26.2006 8:19 am

coco wrote:
The only isamu wrote:
No, not livedoor.

Since you wrote your uncle's given name on the another thread, I identified your uncle's full name, his position. That is what I was afraid of. If you don't understand what I say, ask him or show him this thread.

I understand. But I removed the companys name quickly, so it should be alright.
Daisuke
Site Admin

Postby shikitohno » Mon 02.27.2006 9:44 pm

Actually, Japan doesn't allow you to maintain daul citizenship from what I've read. The American government is fairly lax, and won't tell on you for not handing in your papers, but they try to hold it over your head when you act against them.
{the goals}
Hiragana: 46/46
Katakana: 34/46
Kanji:1-99
shikitohno

Next

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan