Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Genki series question

Genki series question

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Genki series question

Postby crowfeather » Sun 02.26.2006 9:55 pm

Several people here have said they like and are using the Genki series.
Can someone please tell me the major differences between the Genki and the Japanese for Busy People series'?

I have never seen the Genki series to compare them.

Thank you,
Barbara
crowfeather

RE: Genki series question

Postby Infidel » Mon 02.27.2006 12:31 am

JfBP is almost a complete waste of time. The pages are full of white space, and large print. It is almost as if they contrived to fit the least amount of content into the largest space. Even after using the entire series you will not have touched 1/2 of the first Genki book. And Genki has 2 books.
Last edited by Infidel on Mon 02.27.2006 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby lemonaid » Mon 02.27.2006 6:31 am

Text and workbooks used in school for learning japanese as a foreign language.
lemonaid

Postby keatonatron » Mon 02.27.2006 7:37 am

Genki is good! It's all in kana, so you get considerable reading practice. And there's a pretty good collection of essential kanji mixed in to the text. Once you're done with Genki, you should be in good shape to take the level 3 proficiency test.
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby TnT » Wed 03.01.2006 7:20 pm

Sorry for intruding this thread but I'm guessing people have seen enough Genki threads.

Is Genki the right book for me If I want to learn to speak Japanese, Increase my vocabulary and get grammer sorted, (Can read/write Hiragana Katakana) and maybe the odd bit of Kanji. The only problem is I've heard people say it's classroom based and I'm studying by myself, If anyone could shed some light wether it's still good if you're studying alone or not.
TnT

Postby Mercenary » Wed 03.01.2006 7:44 pm

I have read a lot of reviews on it and people say it works good for a self-study guide as long as you get the workbook and cds with it.

I don't have it yet but I am going to order the set myself probably once the cds get back in stock.

I don't know about you, but in my experience in various college courses (or highschool) I have usually learned more from just reading than from going to classes. Often the instructors essentially just base their lectures like they are reading. I think the only real advantage of classrooms is to ask questions (which you can easily do online) and talking/listening to others (which can be done to an extent with CDs, unfortunately you can't have people telling you if you said it right, but there are always internet chats with like Skype you could use to test that, that is probably what I'll do).
Mercenary

Postby TnT » Wed 03.01.2006 8:10 pm

I havn't seen the CD's on amazon.co.uk but the Workbook takes 4-6 weeks to be delivered :( but thank's for the feedback it's helped a lot :)
TnT

Postby Sachi » Wed 03.01.2006 8:31 pm

I use Genki, and it's great ^^ Never tried JfBP, but Genki is worth it. I self-study, and have gotten a lot out of it.

keatonatron-san, just curious: do you mean about ready for level 3 after book one or book two? I know, stupid question, but just wondering~ XD
Sachi

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips