Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Wouldn't it be cool if....

Wouldn't it be cool if....

Spotted any errors or found anything that doesn't work?

Wouldn't it be cool if....

Postby Hatori » Mon 02.27.2006 10:23 pm

i thought this would be a cool thread if anybody wanted to give ideas for thejapanesepage to add something to our learning materials or just something awesome.

my idea is to get a "westerner name translater" which would trigger the right figures that would be used.
Last edited by Hatori on Tue 02.28.2006 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Native language: English

RE: Wouldn't it be cool if....

Postby CrazzyWarrior » Tue 02.28.2006 1:20 am

Only thing i have to suggest right now is for the kanji pages to be able to sort by thier pronunciation, like how they have an option to see all kanjis with 3 strokes, have an option to show all Kanji's that have the "ko" sound/proninciation, or all the ones that have "mi" and it could break it down to order like kajis's with just "mi" then kanjis that have a "mi" in the begining with something else with it, for example mizu(water) and then "mi" in the middle and finnaly "mi" at the end.
私の名前はセスです。
Watashi no namae ha seth desu.
[英訳] The ko (accumulated wisdom) of an old man is more precious than the ko (shell) of a tortoise.
「甲」と「劫」が同音であるところからできたことわざ。「劫」は極めて長い時間のことをいう。年長者の経験は尊ぶべきである。
CrazzyWarrior

Postby rodegia » Tue 02.28.2006 1:30 am

A kanji dictionary is best for that; it'll have all the rare pronunciations, too. I'd also recommend WWDJ or whatever it is, you can search the kanji by reading there too.
rodegia

Postby amego » Tue 02.28.2006 1:38 am

my idea is to get a "westerner name translater" which would trigger the katana that would be used.

Hehe u mean katakana right, anyway katana(刀) mean sword. So it'll be really scary if the hair-splitting weapon were to be triggered. :o:D

Anyway I hope that they'll have a picture relating to the kanji for people to remember better, like a picture of the sun with a stroke/dash in the middle for them to visualise 日 and so on :D
Last edited by amego on Tue 02.28.2006 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
amego

Postby CrazzyWarrior » Tue 02.28.2006 1:54 am

amego wrote:
Anyway I hope that they'll have a picture relating to the kanji for people to remember better, like a picture of the sun with a stroke/dash in the middle for them to visualise 日 and so on :D

Sorta like the book Pic-to-graphix, it has over a thousand kanji's and some image/nmenoics(SP?) to help people with them, its a fairly nice book in my opinion.
私の名前はセスです。
Watashi no namae ha seth desu.
[英訳] The ko (accumulated wisdom) of an old man is more precious than the ko (shell) of a tortoise.
「甲」と「劫」が同音であるところからできたことわざ。「劫」は極めて長い時間のことをいう。年長者の経験は尊ぶべきである。
CrazzyWarrior

Postby keatonatron » Tue 02.28.2006 2:46 am

Hatori wrote:
my idea is to get a "westerner name translater" which would trigger the katana that would be used.

I actually don't like this idea, because every online name translator I've seen is horribly inaccurate and just plain sucks. It's impossible for a computer to tell from writing how your name is pronounced (unless you use very expensive text-to-speech software, and even then there are mistakes). Unless translations are done phoenetically, they are useless, and as of yet a human doing the translation is the only proper solution.

My suggestion would be to learn hiragana/katakana, try to guess what your name would be, then ask us and we can confirm for you B)
keatonatron

Postby Daisuke » Tue 02.28.2006 8:13 am

TJP appreciates all the ideas you have, and Clay will most likely look at this thread when he gets time.

And, I also moved this to the right section.
Daisuke
Site Admin

Postby clay » Tue 02.28.2006 8:20 am

Just a note: I was replying when you moved it Daisuke :) It was like it vanished!

amego wrote:

That is a pretty good idea. Any artists out there? If so, please email me clay AT thejapanesepage.com a drawing with a url to the specific kanji page and I will post it on the kanji page. But of course it has to be an original idea and drawing (not copying verbatim that book you mentioned :o) Of course you can sign your name or handle at the bottom of the pic!

I think I will move this to the Site comments forum. (already done ;))

Thanks for the ideas!
clay
Site Admin

Postby Daisuke » Tue 02.28.2006 8:29 am

clay wrote:
Just a note: I was replying when you moved it Daisuke :) It was like it vanished!

Sorry about that.. :|
Last edited by Daisuke on Tue 02.28.2006 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Daisuke
Site Admin

Postby Sachi » Tue 02.28.2006 6:41 pm

clay wrote:

amego wrote:

That is a pretty good idea. Any artists out there? If so, please email me clay AT thejapanesepage.com a drawing with a url to the specific kanji page and I will post it on the kanji page. But of course it has to be an original idea and drawing (not copying verbatim that book you mentioned :o) Of course you can sign your name or handle at the bottom of the pic!

I think I will move this to the Site comments forum. (already done ;))

Thanks for the ideas!

Hmm, art? I do like to draw, and I could try it if I ever have time... I might bookmark this thread and keep it in mind :)
Sachi

Postby AJBryant » Tue 02.28.2006 9:53 pm

my idea is to get a "westerner name translater" which would trigger the right figures that would be used.

Please, no.

That is *never* a good idea. You're a foreigner -- your name isn't Japanese, and it's not written in kanji. People LOOK at you funny when you suggest kanji for your name.

Heck, even Japanese people who've lived overseas "lose their kanji rights" as far as Japanese seem to be concerned. I've never seen Yoko Ono's name written in anything but katakana in Japan.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby rodegia » Tue 02.28.2006 10:06 pm

The Japanese baseball players still have their kanji... After being in Japan less than 3 months I had a student present me with a way to write my name in Kanji (unrequested). I don't write my name in kanji and the only time I do is to give Japanese people a kick (and I get a kick out of it because 武雷庵 is considered quite カッコイイ)

EDIT: I also haven't seen Ono in anything but katakana, but they type of person she is, I wouldn't be surprised if it was a deliberate choice on her part.
Last edited by rodegia on Tue 02.28.2006 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rodegia

Return to Problems