Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Help translate & some questions

Help translate & some questions

Do you have a translation question?

Help translate & some questions

Postby faburisu » Mon 03.28.2005 11:20 pm

Hello

I need to write some nice words on a picture I paint for a girl ... I'm just beginning learning Japanese so I would like some help :

1. "You are very beautiful" -> to a woman :

Anata wa totemo kirei desu

Is this ok? A dictionary search gives me like 50 different 'beautiful' , which one to use to compliment a woman? utsukushii ?

Can you put the name of the person before anata ? i.e.

Mayumi, anata wa .... desu

or do you write

Mayumi wa .... desu

(that one sounds impersonal to me, i/.e. could be ANY Mayumi ? )

2. "I want to see your eyes" ?

same thing, I get tons of words for eyes, like left eye, right eye, eye socket etc.. lol . I mean, just a person's EYES, woman's EYES to be specific :)

I'm guessing ??

watashi wa anata no -eyes- -see- o hoshii desu

3. How do you write 'for' as in "for Mayumi" as if you signed on a picture, i.e. I drew this picture "for Mayumi" ?

I 'm going to write those in hiragana, can I just space the words such as this ?

あなた は きれい です

4. How do japanese children write sentences (in Hiragana) by the way ? Hpow do they separate words, and mark end of sentences and such ? I havent found this info yet

5. What are the little dots over the hiragana on the MLC Meguro Language Course free material ?

Such as on this Hiragana & Katakana worksheet ?

http://www.mlcjapanese.co.jp/DownloadF/ ... kSheet.pdf

Thank you !!
ありがとう ございます !!
\"Pushing the wheelbarrow is easy, thinking about it is hard\"
faburisu

RE: Help translate & some questions

Postby faburisu » Wed 03.30.2005 1:46 pm

Any help is welcome,

and ignore point 5, I switched to a faster PDF Viewer called 'foxit pdf reader' and the dots are shown correctly: they were numbers that indicate order for drawing the strokes.
faburisu

Postby Spaztick » Wed 03.30.2005 3:39 pm

I would do it in Kanji and not just Hiragana. If you want to say "beautiful girl," you would say "bijin."

So:

"Anata wa bijin desu."

In conversation you wouldn't put the "desu" at the end, but since you're writing (or in this case painting) it, you do.
XD At this sig.
Number of people that have: 13
SaiaiKenja
Daisuke
Kodi
dreamingxashley
redfoxer
ben
Elumi
LordDisa
Kates
AaRoN
Rezeyu
Hideiko_san
roosh
ParanoiaK3
Spaztick

Postby Opgots » Wed 03.30.2005 6:47 pm

Hello

I need to write some nice words on a picture I paint for a girl ... I'm just beginning learning Japanese so I would like some help :

1. "You are very beautiful" -> to a woman :

Anata wa totemo kirei desu

Is this ok? A dictionary search gives me like 50 different 'beautiful' , which one to use to compliment a woman? utsukushii ?

From what I know, this is perfectly fine.
Note: Im not too familiar with the term "Bijin." But I believe its meant "pretty/Beautiful girl." So for just the word "pretty", "Kirei" is fine.

Can you put the name of the person before anata ? i.e.

Mayumi, anata wa .... desu

or do you write

Mayumi wa .... desu

(that one sounds impersonal to me, i/.e. could be ANY Mayumi ? )

Yes, I dont see why you couldnt. Although, I think the Japanese might stick Direct Address at the end. Im not sure.

2. "I want to see your eyes" ?

same thing, I get tons of words for eyes, like left eye, right eye, eye socket etc.. lol . I mean, just a person's EYES, woman's EYES to be specific

I'm guessing ??

watashi wa anata no -eyes- -see- o hoshii desu

You can say that but you'd need to use koto (to makes see a noun). Lets do this easier.

Watashi wa anata no me o mitai would be the way to say it.

Watashi wa = I
Anata no = your
me = eyes
o = direct object marker
Mitai = Want to see
(Miru = see)

You see, when you say "Want to _____" What you do is take the root form of the verb and add "-itai." with verbs that end in "eru/iru" you just add "tai" to the end of the root. The root form of "miru" is "mi-" and since it ends in "iru" you just add "-tai."

3. How do you write 'for' as in "for Mayumi" as if you signed on a picture, i.e. I drew this picture "for Mayumi" ?

I believe it would be Watashi wa Mayumi ni kono e o egakimashita

Mayumi ni = For Mayumi
Kono e = this picture
Egakumashita = drew/painted
(Egaita = drew/painted [less polite])

I 'm going to write those in hiragana, can I just space the words such as this ?

あなた は きれい です

4. How do japanese children write sentences (in Hiragana) by the way ? Hpow do they separate words, and mark end of sentences and such ? I havent found this info yet [/i]

You can. Its not correct I dont think though. Since the Japanese write down and right to left, its easy for them to tell when something breaks off I think. And dont forget the Japanese have their own period and comma.

5. What are the little dots over the hiragana on the MLC Meguro Language Course free material ?

Such as on this Hiragana & Katakana worksheet ?

http://www.mlcjapanese.co.jp/DownloadF/ ... kSheet.pdf

Thank you !!
ありがとう ございます !!

I have no idea why those dots are there. Maybe the book uses them....for something.
-------------
Nemuritai...

The pleasure of a dream is in its fantasy. If it ever comes true, it was never a dream.
Opgots

Postby faburisu » Thu 03.31.2005 3:59 pm

Thanks much for the very complete answer!

Regards
faburisu

Postby Mukade » Thu 03.31.2005 10:29 pm

Keep in mind that in Japanese, "you" and "your" can be distancing. If you want to convey a sense of intimacy, use their name.

The most intimate usage would be their given name, without ~san or ~chan or anything.

So, you'd be literally saying "Mayumi is a beautiful girl."
Mayumi wa kirei desu.
Mukade

Native language: English

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion