Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Citizenship: Does it help if you are part Japanese.

Citizenship: Does it help if you are part Japanese.

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

RE: Citizenship: Does it help if you are part Japanese.

Postby nikonikoniko » Mon 02.27.2006 10:15 pm

Infidel wrote:
Japan doesn't accept dual citizenship. If you want to become Japanese you have to revoke your US citizenship.

Ah, but some these days are dabbling in the murky waters of "what they don't know, won't hurt me". The Japanese do require you to end your citizenship with your country of origin, but they do not ask you to prove that you did so. And since the US allows the dual citizenship that Japan does not, some choose to "forget" to renounce their original citizenship for whatever reason they deem useful. Theoretically, they could return to the US as citizens even years later, with little hassle from the American side as long as they've been filing tax returns every year and haven't been politically active in Japan. I suspect that would be the last time they'd set foot on Japanese soil, however. If Japan will ban someone for five years for overstaying a tourist visa by one day, I imagine the penalty for something like this would be much more severe.
Last edited by nikonikoniko on Mon 02.27.2006 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nikonikoniko

Postby keatonatron » Tue 02.28.2006 2:56 am

And, of course, the fact that Japan and the US are good allies doesn't hurt. If you tried a dual-citizenship with, say, the US and Iran, you might have some problems coming back into the country....
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby punkgrl326 » Mon 03.06.2006 10:38 pm

That is if you come back alive :|
punkgrl326

Previous

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan