Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - BRING BACK SAILORMOON!!!!

BRING BACK SAILORMOON!!!!

Anything relating to Anime or Manga - what's new, what you like, etc...

RE: BRING BACK SAILORMOON!!!!

Postby Seijiro Hiko » Mon 02.20.2006 10:58 pm

I think theshadowtaker touched on a good point earlier when he pointed out that parents perceive anime as cartoons.

A big part of the problem is with the American definition and expectation of animation.

I've found that American society, particularly the older generationq that include today's parents, tend to look on any sort animation as children's entertainment material that they know as cartoons.

However, Japan's much more developed animation industry not only targets children but older age groups such as teenagers and adults, and thus the subject matter becomes much deeper, more mature, and does not require it to have morally acceptable values in the shows.

The problem comes in when this advanced animations industry is exported to the United States, where it is perceived that all animation are cartoons for children. Therefore, when parents see their children watching the violence of dragon ball Z or the transexual issues of sailor moon they understandably get upset because they don't want their children to see this kind of subject matter yet.

Because animation is perceived as "cartoons" in America, the companies that import anime have thus marketed anime as a form of children's entertain and sometimes choose to alter the content of anime to bend it to their target audience.

This also causes undue angst for teenager who like anime but are afraid to share their interest because of the misperception of American Society. The Anime industry in general would do well ($$$$) to advertise animation as not just kid's entertainment but something cool that Teens and Adults could enjoy with such angst.

I believe that American company's that market anime should instead promote the fact that not all animation is for children and that certain anime is intended for older audiences.

When I was in the 4th and 5th grades, my classmates and I were obsessed with Dragon Ball Z and every weekday we enjoyed coming home to catch the last 15 minutes of Sailor Moon and watch great Anime such as Dragon Ball Z and Gundam Wing. However, my parents, conservative christians, were concerned with the (lol) "witchcraft"* and violence that was in these shows. (Particularly when, I think it was Raditz, turned into a giant magic wielded talking demonic ape.) still lol:D

* They obviously didn't understand the concept of "Chi" / "Ki" B)

As a result I was, for a short time, not allowed to watch DBZ :( (it was very sad)

Well, I guess my point is that anime is wrongly thought of as "cartoons"
Last edited by Seijiro Hiko on Mon 02.20.2006 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seijiro Hiko

Postby Seijiro Hiko » Mon 02.20.2006 11:07 pm

Oh, and is the money issue really a big deal-(let's just be friends):D
You either have the money or you don't.
Last edited by Seijiro Hiko on Mon 02.20.2006 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seijiro Hiko

Postby kohana » Mon 02.20.2006 11:11 pm

I was looking through this post, and I'm not a moderator or anything, but I think that this website is called "The Japanese Page" and so petitions like this should be moved to a petition site where it will get more attention and more signatures... Try petitiononline.com. ^^
:edit:
What I mean by that is, from what I know, this website shouldn't be used for petitioning things like this. It may be allowed but it's defnitely off topic... I don't mean to sound rude or anything.
Last edited by kohana on Mon 02.20.2006 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kohana

Postby Ranma » Tue 03.07.2006 5:19 pm

no offense kohana but shut up really i dont mean to be rude but alot of people on this site like anime but dont want to go to some petition site which will take time out of their limited computer time.....yeah..... ANYWAY......i just got the pure hearts VHS and the hearts in ice movie VHS.... and i found out that all blockbuster stores are sellin all of their VHS's 4 a dollar!!!!!!!!! and my local one has alot of sailor moon VHS's..... yeah... I'm really wiered today....
Ranma

Native language: English

Postby kohana » Tue 03.07.2006 7:41 pm

I like anime as well, all I was saying is that this is a controversial topic and if you wanted more signatures and more support you'd want to try a petition site. I suppose I see your point when you say that people don't want to take out their computer time, but at the same time, it doesn't take too long to sign a petition... It takes longer to go to the site and put in your name than it does to come here and write out a long argument about it. Again, sorry to sound rude, but I'm just trying to help you get support. :)
Also, I'm not sure if people actually said that they didn't want to go to a petition site. Did I miss that?
Last edited by kohana on Tue 03.07.2006 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kohana

Postby alex_2096 » Thu 03.09.2006 11:51 am

ranma, its hard not to be rude when you tell someone to shut up! but i spose this is what i should of expected from someone from the feduel era.
The thingabout this is that its just not going to work. There were ppl doing this few years back and the TV companies just dont care, they are making there money from licencing DVD, VHS sales and other merchandise
alex_2096

Postby Ranma » Wed 04.05.2006 4:44 pm

Alex:oppps I meant to change my location
Kohana:Sorry.....
Everyone:I thought this was supossed to be a petition! not a discussion about why sailor moon shouldn't be brought back....
Everyone:Sorry, I'm 12, I'm supossed to act like this!
Ranma

Postby punkgrl326 » Wed 04.05.2006 5:01 pm

To be honest, when I was younger I was never a big fan of the dub. Heck, I hated it. If it weren't for actually finding the subs online, I would still hate Sailor Moon. It's a good thing I found out what a cool show it was! So yeah, I don't want the dub to return, sorry.

Oh and by the way, petitiononline.com and petitionspot.com will get you nowhere. A lot of ppl don't take those sites seriously. I remember seeing one petition for blowing up the sun! :D Well, who knows maybe yours will be different. Good Luck!
"Every act of conscious learning requires the willingness to suffer an injury to one's self-esteem. That is why young children, before they are aware of their own self-importance, learn so easily."

-Thomas Szasz
punkgrl326

Postby Ranma » Tue 04.11.2006 4:37 pm

We need to get back to the petition now!!!
Ranma

Postby songoku17 » Fri 04.14.2006 5:20 pm

Ranma wrote:
Alex:oppps I meant to change my location
Kohana:Sorry.....
Everyone:I thought this was supossed to be a petition! not a discussion about why sailor moon shouldn't be brought back....
Everyone:Sorry, I'm 12, I'm supossed to act like this!

it was meant to be A petition but then people took it a step to far and then it became a violent disscussion:o:(...
songoku17

Postby Christian_ » Fri 04.14.2006 8:00 pm

songoku17 wrote:
Well gues your right Daisuke sorry:(. It would seem many of you dont want it back huh? I understand its cut but thats why there is ADULT SWIM on CartoonNetwork where they show Uncut Anime:p Oh thanks george_fred for helping out you too Yuna:D oh Infidel hope you get it ^_^
[adult swim] doesn't slaughter anime as bad as Cartoon Network, but they do their fair share of cutting things out. Adult swim almost always edits out all curse words and will edit out anything sexual, its terrible how people edit things. I can understand people making dubs, but to edit the actual content? Thats terrible! Like mandolin said if its not appropriate market it to a higher age group. I wouldn't mind having an adults only rating if they didn't touch the original content.
Goals:
1) Have decent proficiency in Japanese, enough to get around/talk/read/write.
2) Visit Japan for a week or so one summer.
Christian_

Postby Ranma » Tue 04.18.2006 4:46 pm

K, I sign the petition now any one else!?
Ranma

Postby Kitsune-rose » Sat 04.22.2006 11:41 am

Wow.....

I.... I cannot even BEGIN to understand how $35 gets turned into "affording everything".

IF a young person's budget CANNOT accomodate $35 for something they want very badly, then should they REALLY have enough time to be watching TV?

Once again.... wow. Look, I'm sisteen years old. I don't HAVE thirty five dollars on me right now. If I want my anime dvds, do you know who I have to go to? My parents. If they don't want to get it for me, then I'm stuck. Does that mean I should have to go out and get a job to buy what I want, when I have school to take care of, and other responsibilities? You did make a good point, about the whole, watching tv thing. But come on, it's too unrealistic. Unless I'm on a break, I only play video games and watch anime on the weekends. On the weekends, I have plenty of time to go to work and earn my own money. But do I? No, simple as that. It would have been a long week, I'm tired, I just wanna sit in front of a screen and play video games and watch anime. Kids have so much on their plate already to deal with, and a job would clutter schedules up more. Your point does make sense, but it's kinda unfair.
Also, I would love to see Sailor Moon back on the air. Shows like anime get advertised when they're on tv. Like, for example, Fullmetal Alchemist. If it wasn't for the dubbed versions of the anime, I probably would have never seen the anime. Once I watched it on tv, I began buying the dvds, because I really liked some episodes. So, either way, the anime is existing. Is it really fair to say, "Oh, don't bring Sailor Moon back to the US on air because the dubbed version degrates it,"? I don't think so. The dubded verion makes it appropriate for little kids to watch! You wouldn't want Little Timmy to sit in front of a big screen watching Yusuke from YYH grab Keiko's boobs would you? I hope not. My conclusion is, bring back Sailor Moon, for those who can't afford it and for the little kids who like the show, so they can watch it. If you don't like the dubbed versions, don't watch them. If you want to see the uncut versions, buy the dvds. Simple as 1,2,3. Now, I need to find that link to the petition site again....
Last edited by Kitsune-rose on Sat 04.22.2006 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kitsune-rose

Postby LustBaka » Thu 07.06.2006 3:46 pm

I remember that show....

馬鹿

LustBaka
LustBaka

Postby kanadajin » Thu 07.06.2006 4:04 pm

yeah me too, and I didn't like it, (sorry to everyone who does like it) it was stupid.. some guy dressed in a TUX throwing roses creative.. but stupid.
kanadajin

PreviousNext

Return to Anime and Manga Discussions