Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Your Method Of Stuydying.

Your Method Of Stuydying.

Japanese, general discussion on the language

Your Method Of Stuydying.

Postby TokyoRoze » Tue 02.08.2005 11:07 am

How do you guys study Japanese? For me (Sigh) Japanese for d ummies(Which only goes so far) and abunch of printouts (which could be false info) I want an easier way. ok so your turn!
Hiragana: 0/46
Katakana 0/46
Kanji: Kyuu4:0/80
TokyoRoze

RE: Your Method Of Stuydying.

Postby GMK-kaijuu » Tue 02.08.2005 11:44 am

Well for studying hiragana, katakana, and kanji I write them out over and over and over and over agian. But for me this is enjoyable. I also use tapes. i got them at the public library. I recommend PIMSLEUR. They are the best.
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
-- Adam Savage
GMK-kaijuu

Postby Daisuke » Tue 02.08.2005 12:14 pm

I go through the lessons on this site. I use a kanalearner for memorizing hiragana and katakana, and i write them down many times. I study 1 kanji a day, writing it down alot of times, and i keep repeating the meanings etc.
Daisuke
Site Admin

Postby Spaztick » Tue 02.08.2005 1:21 pm

I learned my Hiragana and Katakana off this site, and the grammar. After that I picked up a book for learning kanji. Which, I'm at 50 more kanji learned since I got the book!
XD At this sig.
Number of people that have: 13
SaiaiKenja
Daisuke
Kodi
dreamingxashley
redfoxer
ben
Elumi
LordDisa
Kates
AaRoN
Rezeyu
Hideiko_san
roosh
ParanoiaK3
Spaztick

Postby Tamai » Tue 02.08.2005 2:09 pm

I studied the hiragana and katakana just looking at them in a table for almost 2 months, I still do it sometimes, just to remeber some katakana.
Then I get a lot of grammar and printed, every spare time I have I read a little, but I don't try to learn the grammar point, I just read to know its existence. I try to get the points from texts or watching anime, I think it's more natural and easier way to learn.

I do this "grammar rush" because when I learned English (in a school) it took me 5 years to see the grammar (I don't know if that was all), but after that I noticed I had only grammar, I was needing a lot of vocabulary, then I quit that school. So, now I don't waste time learning every grammar point, one by one, as if people speak that way.

I almost forgot: one very important thing I learned from deutschwelle (an organization that divulgates the german culture throughout the world) was: get used to the sound of the language. You can't learn much if the language still sounds like a weird noise, and for Japanese you will also have to see the writting as a normal thing. Look for an ehon (絵本) and try to read that, usually they are pretty easy, they're good when you need to be sure that you can read Japanese (like a child, but it's better than nothing).
Last edited by Tamai on Tue 02.08.2005 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tamai

Postby clay » Tue 02.08.2005 3:39 pm

Pimsleur, mentioned above, is great to get basic conversation down. Also I think using manga as a learning tool is great because most have furigana (small hiragana above each kanji) and the language is spoken Japanese so you practice both reading and spoken Japanese.
clay
Site Admin

Postby Tamai » Tue 02.08.2005 4:34 pm

It's true, learning the spoken language is also very important... and a bit of culture the manga brings is also important...

Talking about it, does anyone know how different the spoken japanese is from the formal japanese?
I hope it's not like portuguese...
Tamai

Postby TokyoRoze » Tue 02.08.2005 5:16 pm

Pimsluer is alot of $$. Im talking about learning the language. But I might try to take up learnng a character a day. Where can find a website with all the Kanji?
Hiragana: 0/46
Katakana 0/46
Kanji: Kyuu4:0/80
TokyoRoze

Postby Daisuke » Tue 02.08.2005 5:21 pm

I don't know where you can find a site with all the kanji, but Kanji Gold is a good program for learning Kanji. And this sites kanji database can keep you working for a long time if you study one kanji a day. :)

For kanji gold, go here: http://web.uvic.ca/kanji-gold/
Daisuke
Site Admin

Postby Yuubokumin » Tue 02.08.2005 11:36 pm

I just look at grammer and vocabulary and remember a few at a time then do it again. For hiragana I just "did" it I guess, I learned to use and write a few every so often, it took exactly a week to learn hiragana and a little longer for katakana. For kanji I just remember how to write them one at a time every so often.
あなたはおいしいです。 私はあなたを食べたい。
Yuubokumin

Postby jinksys » Wed 02.09.2005 5:12 am

I recommend "colloquial japanese: A complete course for beginners".
Ive used "Japanese for Busy People"(stay away), Genki(good), "Beginners
japanese script"(only covers written japanese), and "barron's japanes grammer"
Colloquial Japanese is the most professionally done book ive seen so far, and its
around 26 USD. The book is fifteen chapters, but unlike other books they dont
throw you all the hiragana and katakana at once. They give you a few hiragana, katakana and kanji each chapter so you arent swamped with info. The book covers
200 kanji and is very detailed in its explainations. Each lesson is basically a conversation (in kanji/kana, romanji, and english), then explainations of words
and grammer, then give exersizes. One thing it covers that other books i have dont
is the difference between male and female speech.
Hello? Internets?
jinksys

Postby Eric » Sat 02.12.2005 11:18 pm

The thing is that people, like me want to learn Japanese without spending their money, so is there any good ways to practice and remember Japanese without spending money? I try writing everything I know down in my mead composition notebook,but is that enough?
Eric

Postby hihlordjp » Sun 02.13.2005 1:23 am

Around two years ago, I used this site to introduce me to Japanese grammar. I would recommend this site to others because it convinces the learner that Japanese is easy. It sets your mentality about the language and so it helps greatly in the learning process.

As for the kana sets, I learned using a book aimed at teaching foreign kids. The book was titled "Nihongo Wo Narabou" (in hiragana). All the text was in kana. It helped me recognize the individual characters of both kana sets.

For kanji and advanced grammar, I use many sources. Some online, some on print. I also have a few people I can turn to for Japanese language questions.
俺様は何時か此の地球の帝王に成るぞ!
...ジョウダンだよ。ヘヘ ^^;;

「君という光が私を見つける // 真夜中に」-- 「光」という歌より(歌手:宇多田ヒカル)
hihlordjp

RE: studies

Postby kinch » Mon 03.21.2005 12:04 pm

I started off learning hiragana/katakana, and then moved on to childrens books (while spending an hour every day listening to a pimlseur lesson). The pimsleur in particular worked well, I could recall most things I heard. Then I took a few days off, and I got some new music to listen to, some new games, some new movies (none of which was japanese). Come back to japanese a week later, and 80% of what I thought I had learned was forgotten. Even katakana I still struggle with a few of the characters. And reading out a single katakana word takes me about 15 minutes, during which I have to speak it out loud sounding like a mentally challenged gorilla.

So, after a few months of study, I took a break, and forgot just about everything I learned. Vocab is gone, grammar is mostly gone, katakana is difficult at best, and reading hiragana or katakana is hideously slow. And I just can't face the idea of doing it all again, only to lose it again if I take another break. I guess what I'm looking for on this site is something to revitalise me and my enthusiasm for learning this difficult language.

Oh, and of course the raw manga/anime trick, which has done absolutely nothing for me. Clay, you mentioned above that your manga has furigana. I am yet to see a manga with furigana, as a result I spend about 10 minutes looking up one kanji. And then I get pissed off and throw out the whole plan of raw manga. Where do you get this furigana manga from?

Okay, that's enough whining for now.

-Andrew
kinch

Postby clay » Mon 03.21.2005 1:54 pm

4 koma manga (manga with short 4 scene stories) are really good even for beginners. Many have furigana. One that I used a long time ago, and still think is great for beginners is Crayon Shinchan. It has furigana.

Meitantei Conan is great for intermediates and has furigana.

Like you said some don't have furigana, but many do.
clay
Site Admin

Next

Return to Japanese General Discussion