Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Time to get tough and huge

Time to get tough and huge

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Time to get tough and huge

Postby spank » Wed 01.18.2006 8:22 am

If you really want to be ready for anything on some japanese "builder" test, I recommend you memorize all the kanji on this page.
http://www.manythings.org/kanji/q/

If you don't want to look like a sissy, you will also take the kanji quizzes. Anything less indicates that you are a girly man. I am bench pressing a respectable 1000 kanji at the moment and squatting multi-radical kanji for high rep stroke order. Its time to bulk up and start pumping kanji! Do you want to have a small kanji count like a grade 2 baby or do you want to join the big boys with our 1500 kanji count which gets us all the chicks?!??!?

Kanji supplements should be taken twice a day to help recover the body. Plenty of rest and water should be consumed to enhance your kanji performance on stage. You should work on your kanji-posing routine atleast 3 weeks before the competition. Expect your rivals to be cramming as many kanji in the last week before the contest. In the final few days before the show, try to relax and read a Japanese newspaper. Cut back on vocabulary intake and focus on your kanji form and stroke order. Think about all the hard work you put into pressing that kanji. The kanji has forged a magnificent body and indominable spirit. Your kanji powers are huge, and a positive attitude will see you to the top. Good luck kanji-builder!!
Last edited by spank on Wed 01.18.2006 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
spank

RE: Time to get tough and huge

Postby hyperconjugated » Wed 01.18.2006 10:29 am

Kanji Gain 4000!
BEEFCAKE!!!!!111

'nuff said.
hyperconjugated

Native language: Finnish

Postby amego » Wed 01.18.2006 12:30 pm

and don forget a decent dosage of TJP© supplements =p
amego

Postby natemb » Thu 01.19.2006 1:43 am

I only got halfway through the first set... I think I sprained something...

Seriously, cool resource, though. 1,460 quizzes is a lot!

Must end this post so I can study more!
natemb

Postby shikamarufoo » Sat 01.28.2006 12:28 am

spank wrote:
If you really want to be ready for anything on some japanese "builder" test, I recommend you memorize all the kanji on this page.
http://www.manythings.org/kanji/q/

If you don't want to look like a sissy, you will also take the kanji quizzes. Anything less indicates that you are a girly man. I am bench pressing a respectable 1000 kanji at the moment and squatting multi-radical kanji for high rep stroke order. Its time to bulk up and start pumping kanji! Do you want to have a small kanji count like a grade 2 baby or do you want to join the big boys with our 1500 kanji count which gets us all the chicks?!??!?

I don't wanna be a girly man:(! I don't want to be a grade 2 baby! Thanks for the site and I will start using it now to take steps to becoming a real man:D(lol)!

===Edit===
I just went to the site and am completely speechless...
Failed the first (Ichi) one and had to guess on everything (I only know about 16 kanjis all together). Can you teach me how I would go about studing kanji using these quizes? Should I write it down and memorize it or something like that?
Thanks for your time:).
Last edited by shikamarufoo on Sat 01.28.2006 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
shikamarufoo

Postby Bobcat » Sat 01.28.2006 5:27 am

My god... how the hell does anyone learn all those...
Bobcat

Postby Harisenbon » Sat 01.28.2006 9:56 am

Bobcat wrote:
My god... how the hell does anyone learn all those...

Practice? It takes Japanese school kids 6 years to learn all those. ;) Just take your time and you can do it no problem.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby spank » Fri 03.10.2006 3:55 pm

What! Shut it! I spent 2 years as a natural kanji builder before turning pro last year. Seriously, I have kanji competitions against native Japanese builders all the time, and my kanji physique is more rigid, striated, toned and massive than their girly, feckless and frail kanji structures. What really sets my kanji apart is my dedication to proportion and stroke order.

My advice to novice kanji builders is to begin with the "english meanings" of all these kanji. I know its a long journey, but kanji builders should start with the basics of learning the concept associated with each kanji. The more of these core meanings you can master, the more combinations you will be able to identify. And as soon as you can reproduce kanji from memory, you have earned the right to laugh at 6 year old japanese girls who still wet themselves. Not much of a bragging right, but its a start! So practice writing those kanji!!

Ofcourse, no kanji workout should ever be the same. I expect you all to vary your reps, weight, volume, intensity and number of kanji sets you perform while training. Don't be afraid to mix things up a little. If you are feeling strong one day, aim for a heavier load of kanji for fewer reps. If you had a bad day at the office and you haven't eaten enough rice balls, aim a little lighter but for higher stroker orders.

Now here comes the part where many kanji builders fail. They're quite content with their kanji physiques but when it comes to show time (ON/Kun yomi testing), many resort to the unthinkable. Romaji supplements and kanji flashcards, once regarded as taboo, are now rife in this industry. A close friend of mine actually had an aneurism from taking a stack of 500 JPLT level 1 kanji cards and injecting them into his head for 2 hours before a show. Do not fall victim to these demons my friends.

All in all, if you can sacrifice the time and commitment to the sport of kanji-building, make gains at every step of the way, despite adverse conditions and setbacks from snickering japanese kanji masters bulked up on salmon sashimi, you may find yourself stepping out of that pig tail wearing, puffy ayumi listening, sailor moon watching, pansy school-girl-world you call a life, and into a realm where kanji-gods think of you as an equal.
spank

Postby colorpen » Sat 03.11.2006 12:11 am

the site is awesome but definitely not for a beginner like me..

however i got 95% correct for ichi (only managed halfway thru before i finally closed the browser)... coz i understand Chinese and somehow managed to decipher the meaning... hee hee ;)
colorpen

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips