Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Anime... subs or dubs?

Anime... subs or dubs?

Anything relating to Anime or Manga - what's new, what you like, etc...

RE: Anime... subs or dubs?

Postby Satoyaki » Tue 03.07.2006 12:57 pm

ResidentEvil4 wrote:
I am just curious of what everyone thinks.

subz
Satoyaki

Postby punkgrl326 » Sat 03.11.2006 11:50 pm

kanadajin wrote:
Oh Okay! Thank you "Punkgrl326" Yea by reading what every one was saying.. I thought thats What they were.. Well I still say Subs! :D
Douitashimashite :D. Yeah, subs are definetely better. I'm just saying dubs aren't as bad as ppl say they are.
punkgrl326

Postby kanadajin » Sun 03.12.2006 1:52 am

I don't think one person chose dubs. lol, pretty sad.
Yeah, subs are definetely better. I'm just saying dubs aren't as bad as ppl say they are.
lol, i don't think every ones really saying their bad. just.. comparing them to subs.. which is making them look bad. -.-
kanadajin

Postby Takeo Saeki » Sun 03.12.2006 2:32 am

I have only seen dubbed anime, and not much of it, so I really don't have a perspective here. Therefore, this post is pointless. ;)
Last edited by Takeo Saeki on Sun 03.12.2006 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Takeo Saeki

Postby Machina Maw » Sun 03.12.2006 4:14 am

Ahh subs are so much better. The only dubbed anime I don't mind is Chobits... but, the original Japanese is much better.

One thing I cannot stand, is English-dubbed Love Hina. Ugh. Keitaro has the most annoying, stupid high voice, and don't even get me started on Mitsune's fake southern-USA accent >__<
Machina Maw

Postby Akamaru » Sun 03.12.2006 7:04 am

Can't believe that you are actually discussing this!!?
/ あかまる
Akamaru

Postby kanadajin » Sun 03.12.2006 1:33 pm

out of all the people who posted so far you would think at least one would like dubs.. instead of subs..:o

lool akamaru..
kanadajin

Postby Seijiro Hiko » Sun 03.12.2006 1:36 pm

For me it depends on what I watched the anime in the first time.
If I watched it in dubs first then I become more attached to the voices and personalities attached to it in english but, if I saw it with the subs and Jap voices then I become more attached to that version.

However it is true that alot is lost when translating an anime in emotion, tone, and meaning.
Rurouni Kenshin is a good example. The Jap. Version had a more serious and more mature feel to it than the Eng-dub. Also the English voices change from OVA to series to movie.

(I also love the Samurai X OVA Eng-dub, sorry OVA sub lovers)

It is pretty funny to laugh at how ridiculous some dubs are though.
Its also interesting to note how that despite translation and dubbing there is still and inexplicable touch of Japanese culture and language that still comes out of them.

Despite the fact that dubs contain many serious faults, there is also an some good things about them too. Dubs are good for introducing casual viewers into anime. I know a good number of people who would instantly be turned turned off if they were watching a "cartoon" in japanese and even a few friends who are turned off by the japanese and are familiar with anime. (I hate the word cartoon when its applied to anime. :@:@:@ Unfortunately that is what animation in general is percieved as in the U.S. ...I wrote a whole lot on the subject under the Sailor Moon thread)

anyway... I might not have originally watched anime if I had to bother with subtitles but now that I am familiar with anime I prefer subs.

Oh, and does anybody know the difference between the Gundam Wing sub and dub cuz I've never saw the sub but I thought the Dialogue and Story of the dub was brilliant.
Last edited by Seijiro Hiko on Sun 03.12.2006 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seijiro Hiko

Postby Pianogirl123 » Sun 03.12.2006 2:23 pm

All dubs are not as good as subs, and a lot of them are REALLY REALLY BAD.

really I have friends who could do a better job then the voices they hired. (hint hint: yugioh)

although not all dubs are bad. Inuyasha's original ones are definetly better, but the dubbed don't totally suck, they're not embarrasing to listen to like the ones in yugioh (the yugioh voices which are embarrasing to even listen to combined with all the editing making a totally sucky show targetted at 7-year-old boys caused me to quit watching it and now I only read the manga).

i think the DBZ actors kinda sucked, and one of my friends told me that sailor moon is WAAAY better in the original. But one of the dubbed is actually pretty good: Fullmetal alchemist--I think their dubbing is amazing. they actually put more than 5 minutes into selecting some decent voices.

this was kind of a wierd rant and kind of random, but I guess my point is even though most english dubbed anime are really bad, not all of them are. I think the general rule is that the more mature audience the anime is targetted for. the better the dubbing (Inuyasha and FMA). On the other hand, shows that they target towards elementary school boys are usually edited beyond regognition and they picked random sucky voice actors because they know that little kids probably aren't as critical and don't understand how changed it is. (proof: the first anime i saw was sailor moon--my mom rented it for me when i was six. now i am a huge anime otaku but back then i didn't even know what 'anime' was. all i knew was that sailor moon was cool)
Pianogirl123

Postby Seijiro Hiko » Sun 03.12.2006 2:37 pm

I agree with you pianogirl123
Seijiro Hiko

Postby kanadajin » Sun 03.12.2006 3:22 pm

Yeah but dubs cut out a lot of things.. Like the meaning of the sentece I was watching FMA the other day.. Dubs and i've already wtahced it in subs.. It was really weird.. The names sounded different all the meaning of the sentences were changed.. I don't know why they do that.. Also i agree with Sijiro hiko.. It depends what i listen to first..
kanadajin

Postby _allismine_ » Sun 03.12.2006 6:50 pm

Subs. Hands down. Original japanese VAs are more dramatic, funnier, and fit the mood better. For example, Naruto says "datte bayo" at the end of every sentence, which is cool. But everytime the *dubbed* Naruto says "believe it", I want to shove my fist through the television. Believe THAT. :D
And the *dubbed* Naruto completely slaughtered Kiba, Gaara and Shikamaru's voices!! Not to mention Edward Elric's from FMA. They suck.
But I have to say, Sasuke and Neji's dubbed voices aren't all that bad. And Alphonse Elric's is cute.
BUT DUBS ARE BETTER ANYWAY. :D
Last edited by _allismine_ on Sun 03.12.2006 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~ PWNing you ALL, since 1991. ~
_allismine_

Postby Takeo Saeki » Sun 03.12.2006 6:53 pm

For example, Naruto says "datte bayo" at the end of every sentence, which is cool. But everytime the *dubbed* Naruto says "believe it", I want to shove my fist through the television. Believe THAT.

*chuckles*

What is Naruto about?
Takeo Saeki

Postby kanadajin » Sun 03.12.2006 7:23 pm

I think its about Samurais.. Lol and how naruto want to become one and he has to go threw tests n stuff i only saw 1 or 2 episodes
kanadajin

Postby _allismine_ » Sun 03.12.2006 7:27 pm

Naruto Uzumaki, a 12 year old boy, wants to become Hokage, which is like the king of his Ninja village. He grew up without parents, and everyone hated him ever since he was little, but he was the only one in the village who didn't know why.
Everyone hated Naruto because he had a monster, a nine tailed demon fox sealed inside of him when he was a baby (it was the only way to get rid of it; it was destroying the village).

Anyways, it doesn't just focus on him, there are many other really important characters than him.
For more information, look here: http://www.naruto-kun.com

And to stay on topic: SUBS RULE!!!
Last edited by _allismine_ on Sun 03.12.2006 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~ PWNing you ALL, since 1991. ~
_allismine_

PreviousNext

Return to Anime and Manga Discussions