Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Anime... subs or dubs?

Anime... subs or dubs?

Anything relating to Anime or Manga - what's new, what you like, etc...

RE: Anime... subs or dubs?

Postby kanadajin » Sun 03.12.2006 7:31 pm

Wow.. Your great at describing stuff.. Unlike me -_-".

The last and only time i've seen Naruto was when He was in this sort of school and he was taking a test.. I guess to become hokage. And there was 10 questions on the first part of the exam. Whoever got caught cheating.. well, I forget what happened.
Last edited by kanadajin on Mon 04.10.2006 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kanadajin

Postby _allismine_ » Sun 03.12.2006 7:52 pm

lol thanks. i'm sure ur not that bad ;)

naw, that test was exam part 1 out of 4 to become Chuunin, the next level of ninja.
it goes like: Academy Student, Genin, Chuunin, Jounin, S-Level and Hokage. only a handful are picked for the last three, though
subs rule :p
~ PWNing you ALL, since 1991. ~
_allismine_

Postby Kairu » Sun 03.12.2006 9:30 pm

I watch subs because i like them, i think they sound cooler, and it's more fun. However, I'm not an obsessive dub-hater, i honestly don't care if the talking matches the mouth perfectly or not. It does kinda annoy me if the voices between the two versions are waaaay different, but still, I don't freak out about it or anything. :)
Kairu

Postby kanadajin » Sun 03.12.2006 9:54 pm

So what does dub stand for anyway?
kanadajin

Postby punkgrl326 » Sun 03.12.2006 10:16 pm

It doesn't really stand for anything, it's just an easier way to say digital voice dubbing.
punkgrl326

Postby kanadajin » Sun 03.12.2006 10:17 pm

Oh alright Thank you once more :D
kanadajin

Postby punkgrl326 » Sun 03.12.2006 10:20 pm

No problemo. :D
"Every act of conscious learning requires the willingness to suffer an injury to one's self-esteem. That is why young children, before they are aware of their own self-importance, learn so easily."

-Thomas Szasz
punkgrl326

Postby Takeo Saeki » Sun 03.12.2006 10:28 pm

I have heard that even non-anime Japanese movies are sometimes dubbed in English, and that those are crappy too. But I didn't think they did that with movies that have actual physical actors visible, as it would feel far too fake. Is it true?
Takeo Saeki

Postby idunno » Mon 03.20.2006 1:33 am

Takeo Saeki wrote:
I have heard that even non-anime Japanese movies are sometimes dubbed in English, and that those are crappy too. But I didn't think they did that with movies that have actual physical actors visible, as it would feel far too fake. Is it true?

I haven't seen any myself but I believe it is true. It is also really fake looking, like you feared. Wasn't Godzilla done this way or something for the American release or did they just sub it?

On the main discussion I like subs better because they are just more real to the anime. The dubs seem so fake and hardly any voice actors are good at it. It seems they are either too into the role making it sound fake or too out of the role and sound like they are reading lines. Plus the editing drives me nuts.
idunno

Postby moumantai » Tue 03.21.2006 3:59 pm

i like the subs the best but i do like a few dubbed animes like inuyasha full metal alchemist cowboy bebop and wolfs rain
moumantai - it means take it easy
moumantai

Postby punkgrl326 » Mon 04.10.2006 9:50 pm

_allismine_ wrote:
Subs. Hands down. Original japanese VAs are more dramatic, funnier, and fit the mood better. For example, Naruto says "datte bayo" at the end of every sentence, which is cool. But everytime the *dubbed* Naruto says "believe it", I want to shove my fist through the television. Believe THAT. :D
And the *dubbed* Naruto completely slaughtered Kiba, Gaara and Shikamaru's voices!! Not to mention Edward Elric's from FMA. They suck.
But I have to say, Sasuke and Neji's dubbed voices aren't all that bad. And Alphonse Elric's is cute.
BUT DUBS ARE BETTER ANYWAY. :D

Don't you mean Shika-maru :p So far Sasuke's and Naruto's dubbed voices have been the best, but watch episode 30 and we'll see if you still think Neji's new voice isn't bad. I'm all for the dubs, but what they did to Itachi and Neji, I can never forgive them for that. Well, at least Orochimaru's wasn't bad. Oh yeah and Viz promised to cut the "Believe Its" down to a minimum.
"Every act of conscious learning requires the willingness to suffer an injury to one's self-esteem. That is why young children, before they are aware of their own self-importance, learn so easily."

-Thomas Szasz
punkgrl326

Postby kanadajin » Mon 04.10.2006 10:11 pm

:o Wow, how old was the back up anyway... so many posts gone.. T.T
kanadajin

Postby Forlorn_Hope » Mon 04.10.2006 11:23 pm

SUBS ALL THE WAY!!!!!! you havew to have certain people do the dubs' voices, otherwise it is just messed......
meow, death is fun...... especially with a gun.......
Forlorn_Hope

Postby Caneius9 » Wed 05.10.2006 1:07 pm

When I first got into Anime the only way I could get to watch any was by borrowing it on tape... (DVD was rare at the time) Much of the time I would watch it with the Subs because that was the way it was. I like it that way best now, there are very few anime shows I'll watch in english just because it seems unnatural to me to not have subs and Japanese.
Besides, the editing America does to brillant shows is depressing.
Caneius9

Postby Niphty » Sun 05.14.2006 5:09 pm

Honestly.. subs are better for most of us because we want to learn japanese, so listening and seeing the translation is helping us along. Honestly, try watching anime in raw format sometime, and see how good you feel about your Japanese proficency. :D
Dubs have a place, but the majority of the time, as it's been said.. the company takes the anime down a notch or two. What's considered teen in Japan is "young adult" here, and since the anime makers think only kids watch cartoons in America.. well.. the rest of us get the screw.
However, the same works in reverse. How many of you have watched an American show/movie with Japanese dubbing? Or even better, has seen Ai Yori Aoshi ~Enishi~ where they get a Japanese man and woman to play Tina's TEXAN parents? You want to talk about crazy sounding Engrish. hehe.

My personal take on it is this: Japanese Voice Actors TRY. American ones get paid. It takes them a season to "get into" a role. Japanese always have all the voice actors for a scene in a room at the same time, and they speak their lines while hearing/interacting with the other people there. That, IMO, creates a much tighter atmoshphere for the cast. Casting also seems to be better, where they cast the right voice for the job in the first place.
Once you've seen the subs, it's hard to hear the dubs (which actually stands for dub-titling - redubbing the audio track of a title or work). I think it's also bad when they "Americanize" a show. A lot of the Japanese sayings just don't seem right when you change them around to be American sayings - and that's the point where us Japanese culture nuts get hit the hardest, and detest the dubs =D
Niphty

PreviousNext

Return to Anime and Manga Discussions