Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Ok I'm won over, what manga?

Ok I'm won over, what manga?

Anything relating to Anime or Manga - what's new, what you like, etc...

Ok I'm won over, what manga?

Postby Spaztick » Thu 03.31.2005 6:20 pm

Hello all.

Decided that i'd try to learn some Japanese from some Manga, but I can't decide which to get or what (let's avoid the more...um, "older" variety). Also, about how much Japanese would you need to know to understand it, or does everyone just use a dictionary?

Thanks!
XD At this sig.
Number of people that have: 13
SaiaiKenja
Daisuke
Kodi
dreamingxashley
redfoxer
ben
Elumi
LordDisa
Kates
AaRoN
Rezeyu
Hideiko_san
roosh
ParanoiaK3
Spaztick

RE: Ok I'm won over, what manga?

Postby Daisuke » Thu 03.31.2005 6:34 pm

When you say 'older varity', do you mean hentai, huh? <.<' Hmm.. I think i remember Clay said that all the manga's in his shop were in Japanese. If that's true i would recommend Evangelion, (Noticed he got it in stock) which is a great manga! I don't really know how much japanese you'll have to know before you can read a manga, but i noticed that you know much. Anyways, i don't believe there is anything wrong having a dictionary somewhere close while reading.

Have fun reading your manga.

Oh, and another thing: XD's at your signature.
Last edited by Daisuke on Thu 03.31.2005 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daisuke
Site Admin

Postby ben » Thu 03.31.2005 9:54 pm

^_^, Daisuke, its funny, your reply, i donno why.

-_- (Now serious)
Spaztic, But i was reading manga in japanese and i noticed that there is alot of kanji. So '-'... Know your kanji! and i know that you know more japanese than me. So you can do it! and....ummm... YOU CAN DO IT! have fun though...
Learning slowly, but surely...

...maybe...
ben

Postby jinksys » Fri 04.01.2005 1:10 am

Manga, sometimes even adult manga, often have furigana. The purpose of furigana in manga is to help younger children who are still learning how to read complex kanji. They can read the simple-character furigana earlier because it is taught in school earlier than the complex characters are. There are even special furigana Japanese-English dictionaries. Furigana is also often used for character names, where unusual kanji are used or the name may have more than one possible reading.

Taking a look at online scanlations of manga is a good way to experience the genre.

src: http://www.japan-101.com/anime/manga.htm
Last edited by jinksys on Fri 04.01.2005 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hello? Internets?
jinksys

Postby Mukade » Fri 04.01.2005 3:18 am

I think that you can learn a lot from reading manga. One thing to be careful of, however - if you are using manga strictly as a learning material, be careful not to get something that uses a lot of vocabulary you'll never be using. There's no point in wasting precious time learning how to say "Jeweled Tiara," "Wand of Death," "Faster Than Light Drive" or "Mega-Incinerator Bazooka Blaster." ;)

Having said that, I am not a manga reader, so I do not know all the books that are out there, but here are a couple suggestions:

---

I read "Ranma 1/2" while I was doing my study abroad. It's aimed at younger audiences, so has the furigana readings of all the kanji. It's set in modern-day Japan, so all the Japanese you'll see will be standard, modern Japanese (rather than the faux-classical you'll see in something like Inuyasha or the highly technical/mystical terminology like you'll see most of the other manga). It's written in a very colloquial, conversational-style Japanese, so you will be able to use it right away.

And what's more - it's funny.

---

If you want to study Osaka-dialect Japanese, check out the manga "Jarinko Chie." I don't recall whether it has furigana readings or not, but it is, again, modern, colloquial Japanese. Being that it takes place in downtown Osaka, however, it features (almost exclusively) thick Osaka dialect, one of the more popular and well-known of the many dialects in Japan.

And once again - it's funny.
Mukade

Native language: English

Postby Daisuke » Fri 04.01.2005 4:43 am

ben wrote:
^_^, Daisuke, its funny, your reply, i donno why.

Why is it fun?? <.< ..
Daisuke
Site Admin

Postby Spaztick » Fri 04.01.2005 1:10 pm

Aight, I'll try out Ranma and Evangelion. I think I might have enough Kanji to read both, but I'm about 1/10 literate in Japanese, so we'll see. Thanks for all the replies!

I added you to my signature Daisuke. Enjoy!
XD At this sig.
Number of people that have: 13
SaiaiKenja
Daisuke
Kodi
dreamingxashley
redfoxer
ben
Elumi
LordDisa
Kates
AaRoN
Rezeyu
Hideiko_san
roosh
ParanoiaK3
Spaztick

Postby jinksys » Fri 04.01.2005 10:05 pm

Using manga to learn japanese is fun because its something you actually WANT to read. Textbooks can get boring because they only use examples, which are ZzZZZzZZZZzzzzZZ. Manga also shows you the way different people talk to each other, other than some textbook giving you short examples in which you are always the gaijin.
Hello? Internets?
jinksys

Postby Kei » Sun 04.03.2005 4:30 pm

I would go with Crayon Shinchan. For learning I'm using Kobochan. It's very easy to understand and I don't know very much japanese.
はじめまして ^_^;
Kei

Postby Sakaki-chan » Sun 04.03.2005 5:06 pm

I would agree with going with Ranma 1/2. It' funny even though I've never read it in Japanese.

XD at your signature!
Sakaki-chan

Postby hide21998 » Fri 05.06.2005 10:13 pm

i dont know what kind your looking for like funny,drama, or fighting but here ya go
i readf alot of manga so um i would say get some weekly shonen jumps they have a few different mangas in it such as naruto, one piece, bleach

hope there helped
go to http://www.oni-X.4t.com

buy cds

please!!!!!!!!
hide21998

Postby hide21998 » Fri 05.06.2005 10:14 pm

i forgot you can go to narutofan.com and find some raw manga downloads to try that there ya go

buy cds

please!!!!!!!!
hide21998

Postby Daisuke » Sat 05.07.2005 7:26 am

Edit your posts instead of double posting.
Daisuke
Site Admin

Postby hide21998 » Wed 05.18.2005 4:51 pm

heh heh sorry i was tired

buy cds

please!!!!!!!!
hide21998

Return to Anime and Manga Discussions