fbpx

0 Comments

October 5, 2017

JLPT N4 Grammar: Nagara ながら while doing

ながら while; during

1. while; during; as
  2. although; despite

■  Verb (-masu stem form) + ながら

()べます (to eat) → ()べ → ()べながら (while eating)

例文(れいぶん) EXAMPLE SENTENCE

音楽(おんがく)()ながら宿題(しゅくだい)をしました。

music-(direct object marker)-listen while-homework-did

I did my homework while listening to music.

Vocabulary & Notes

For the second meaning of "although" or "despite," ながら is most often heard as 残念ながら (I'm afraid to say; it's too bad, but; unfortunately).

残念(ざんねん)ながら、ピーマンを全部(ぜんぶ)()べなさい。

That’s too bad-green pepper-(direct object)-all-eat (command).

It’s a cryin’ shame, but eat all your veggies!

Vocabulary & Notes

ポップコーンを()ながら映画(えいが)()ました。

popcorn | (direct object marker) | eat | while | movie | (direct object marker) | saw
(I) ate popcorn while watching a movie.

Vocabulary & Notes

(ある)ながら友達(ともだち)(はな)しました。

walking | while | friend | with | spoke
While walking, I talked to a friend.

Vocabulary & Notes

COMMENTS

■  This construction shows two actions are being performed at the same time.

■  Some grammatical patterns are easy to construct. Simply take the stem of a -masu form of a verb and add ながら to mean “while (doing verb).”

聞く ->  聞き ます -> 聞きながら (while listening)
する ->  し ます -> しながら (while doing)

JLPT N4 Digital Bundle

Download all our JLPT N4 eBooks, sound files, and Anki flashcard decks with free updates for life.

All our digital bundles have:
One time payment | Big discounts | Free updates for life | Instant downloads | 100% money back guarantee

Sharing is caring!

{"email":"Email address invalid","url":"Website address invalid","required":"Required field missing"}

Level up your Japanese!

free-kanji-or-hiragana-offer-final

For Total Beginners

Japanese for beginners - Beri-Beri Shoshinsha

This 15-book study guide + worksheets bundle is ON SALE. For just one-time payment only, you will get this bundle for a very low price plus you will get future contents for free (no additional charge).

Easy to follow and understand

This bundle is perfect for absolute beginners. It's thorough without being wordy, giving you exactly enough information to understand the concepts without overloading you with information. 

TheJapanShop.com Customer

Makoto+ Membership

You'll notice many TheJapanesePage.com lessons have bonus content for Makoto+ Members. Well, membership goes well beyond that. Members also get our monthly magazine for learners of Japanese (Beginners to Intermediates), weekly exclusive lessons, Podcast bonus content, and much more.

>