Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Don't let me become camera-less in Japan!!

Don't let me become camera-less in Japan!!

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Don't let me become camera-less in Japan!!

Postby taylorpelto » Sun 03.12.2006 12:49 am

I will be visiting Japan for 10 days this spring break with a smallish group of other high school students, and we will be traversing around the entire island!!!

Well, enough bragging. I was just wondering, will I be able to charge my computer and video camera when I am over there? I'm a bit confused on how the outlets are different. (if they are at all)
My computer's charger cable has a three-pronged plugin, where the rectangle metal bits are the same size.
HOWEVER, my camcorder's charger only has 2 prongs, which are different sizes.

Will I be able to charge them when I am over there? We will be staying at different western-style hotels and ryokans, if that makes any difference.

Please help! I don't want to be stuck camera-less!!!
taylorpelto

RE: Don't let me become camera-less in Japan!!

Postby I-samu » Sun 03.12.2006 1:36 am

taylorpelto wrote:
I will be visiting Japan for 10 days this spring break with a smallish group of other high school students, and we will be traversing around the entire island!!!

Well, enough bragging. I was just wondering, will I be able to charge my computer and video camera when I am over there? I'm a bit confused on how the outlets are different. (if they are at all)
My computer's charger cable has a three-pronged plugin, where the rectangle metal bits are the same size.
HOWEVER, my camcorder's charger only has 2 prongs, which are different sizes.

Will I be able to charge them when I am over there? We will be staying at different western-style hotels and ryokans, if that makes any difference.

Please help! I don't want to be stuck camera-less!!!

The two-pronged one will be fine.
But, the three pronged charger won't.
This is from experience at many of my relatives house.
Only the two pronged ones will work and fit.
Maybe you should buy an adapter for the three-pronged one?
[][][][]
I-samu

Postby keatonatron » Sun 03.12.2006 1:47 am

Grab a three-prong to tw-prong adapter before you go. You don't really have to worry about the ground (third prong). If you can't find one you can definately grab one at the airport if you have time to look around before your flight leaves.
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby taylorpelto » Sun 03.12.2006 4:09 am

Thanks a lot for the tips! I'll run out and grab an adaptor :)
taylorpelto

Postby taylorpelto » Thu 03.16.2006 12:12 am

Uh-oh!! Another complication!!

Ok, I have been hearing things. Supposedly, the electicity in Japan is higher than in the US, right? So I will need to buy some kind of electricity converter thing so my electronics won't die?
taylorpelto

Postby valerie » Fri 03.17.2006 12:46 am

actually the voltage is higher in america than japan, but just slightly. america runs on 110 volts while japan is 100. *most* of your electronics will work with no problem.

frequency is different too...actually, it differs across japan. it's 50Hz in one area and 60Hz in another (i'm sorry, i don't remember which is which).

check the recharger for your laptop/recorder...chances are pretty good they're already international (50-60Hz, 100-220V). if they're not international, as long as it's pretty close to 100V i wouldn't worry about it. taking your electronics to europe is another story...
valerie

Postby keatonatron » Fri 03.17.2006 1:43 am

Yep. People who make electronics aren't stupid--they know that power sources aren't always stable, and even in America with a supposed 110v current, you can often get anywhere from 100 - 120v. So, all modern electronic appliances are made with that in mind, and are a bit flexible when it comes to power source. A general rule is as long as the source is within 10v of what it says on the label, you're probably fine.

The only thing you'll have problems with are clocks that don't use a crystal. Some clocks use the 60 hz cycle to drive the time, so if you only have 50hz the time will run slow. Other than that, everything will be fine without a converter (I'm running all American equipment right now, and haven't had any problems).
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby valerie » Fri 03.17.2006 10:50 pm

keatonatron wrote:
People who make electronics aren't stupid

why, thank you :D
valerie

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan