Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - the right kind of gaijin?

the right kind of gaijin?

Japanese, general discussion on the language

the right kind of gaijin?

Postby TrilinguisT » Fri 03.10.2006 11:58 am

i really want to go to japan, but im scared -- what if im not accepted because im not white? i know they love white ppl, but america is not a hakujin only nation.. there are asians, blacks, mexicans, native indians, europeans, africans and stuff here - especially california..

I am cambodian - (a country right next to thailand - our culture is similar) i am still american, its just my heart/culture is cambodian...

when/if i ever go there to visit.. what should i expect from their society? like how will i be treated vs. the white americans? is there really anything to fear? :(
TrilinguisT

RE: the right kind of gaijin?

Postby keatonatron » Fri 03.10.2006 12:41 pm

No.

It's true white people get the most attention, but that doesn't mean other races are frowned upon. People will actually assume you are more adjusted to Japanese culture because you look asian. They will most likely speak Japanese to you and not instantly assume you only speak English like they do with many white people. And they won't be surprised if you can use chopsticks B)
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby I-samu » Fri 03.10.2006 7:24 pm

No. Do you look Asian-Pacific?
I'm half Japanese , and when I went, people assumed I spoke Japanese.
[][][][]
I-samu

Postby TrilinguisT » Fri 03.10.2006 7:42 pm

... i dont see much of a difference in appearance comparing a cambodian to a pacific islander, but yeah, i get that alot.. pppl mistaken me for filippino, so i just have to say, hell effin no i aint.. im cambodian ...

but im really scared to go to japan.... because not being accepted will really give japan a bad image in my mind.. and they will pay if will have a bad experience..
TrilinguisT

Postby keatonatron » Fri 03.10.2006 11:44 pm

TrilinguisT wrote:
but im really scared to go to japan.... because not being accepted will really give japan a bad image in my mind.. and they will pay if will have a bad experience..

You're going to... hurt Japan?

I'd say if you're really all that scared, don't go. Just give up right now. Quite this site, stop learning any Japanese, and choose another culture that you're sure will accept you.

There are a lot of non-Japanese Asians living in Japan. I'm sure many of them are Cambodians. A very large percentage speak decent Japanese, and work important jobs.

Your question is like an Equidorian asking "If I go to America will everyone hate me?? I mean, I'm not white, and I look Mexican but I'm not, bitch!"
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby TrilinguisT » Sat 03.11.2006 12:24 am

i didnt say ill hurt them ......

anywho, this is a perfectly okay question for someone who's never been outside of california so mind you, i've never seen the outside world before, and i wouldnt know of such things.. i pretty much get stuff from the media, so can you really blame me?
TrilinguisT

Postby Smooth » Sat 03.18.2006 6:56 pm

TrilinguisT...... okay here s the run down. I know I am a bit late. I lived in Japan for about two years. I am also engaged with an Okinawan girl who can't speak English to save her life. On top of that, her and her friends do not speak proper Japanese. Everything is slang, and I do mean everything.

I bring this up for a reason.

It all depends on where you go in Japan. If you were to go to a city that is used to 外人 then you will have no problems at all. Japanese people can tell other Japanese people out. They also can tell other asians out. As for their acceptance of white people....well.... it all depends where you go and who you hang out with.

There is a HUGE group of what they call ビーボイズ in Japan. They are basically the Hip-Hop following generation. These girls would never give a white American the time of day.. lol. Same with the guys and girls that follow Jamaica. The younger generations actually don't care. But it depends where you go.

Japan is alot like California in that there are different cliques and different sub-cultures. You can easily find the areas of Japan that any foreigner isn't going to be accepted. But you can also find a place that will be awaiting you with open arms.

I have felt everything from being treated like someones new son / brother, all the way to being literally told to my face that I am worthless in Japan. But you know what, the second I spoke Japanese it all changed. Some of the older man have no tolerance for foreigners, and some of the younger boys, when in groups, don't like anyone.... even other Japaense people.

上の写真をクリクして
Smooth

Postby CajunCoder » Sat 03.18.2006 8:30 pm

I wouldn't worry about it at all.
From the japanese people that I've met, they've all been extremely kind and open...
But then, I've never gone to the country, or lived there. If anything though, you'll probably be more accepted, not being white... At least, by the few of the really old generation which believes japan is too westernized.

But the moment you try to speak Japanese, and show that you are interested in them and their culture, even if you can barely say the simplest of things... They will warm up to you immensely! It's a real honour to them that you're taking the time to learn their culture and language, and they'll go out of their way to help you.
CajunCoder

Postby TrilinguisT » Sun 03.19.2006 12:29 am

smooth and cajincoder -- doumo arigatou gozaimashita!

I feel so much better and more reasured about going to japan. especially when you said, it's alot like california, it depends on where you are - ill take your words for it. thanks a million for your help :D
TrilinguisT

Postby ashitaka » Sun 03.19.2006 1:30 am

just say arigatou very badly. You will make friends at a rapid pace after that. and say lots of "um's" and stall in between words and you will get a lot of attention. Also carry around a japanese learning book and they will notice and help you.
They are very nice!!!!!
the climate ranges from california to central oregon. tour all over for like a weak and you will see many amazing things.
Climbing fuji-san is a must! try climbing it from the bottom and dont drive up to level 3 or 4.
ashitaka

Postby aoisatomi » Fri 04.14.2006 8:25 pm

this sounds a lot like the post "will/does japan hate me?"

I posted a long reply to that question on that thread..so, for my full opinion, i would read that. In fact, that whole thread is probably a must read for you Tri-kun. ^_^

Anyways...yeah, Japan is very kind and nice. They will embrace them with open arms, as long a you don't expect them to hold your hand the whole time. What i mean by that is, that if you go to Japan without making any effort to learn about them or reach out to them, they wont reach out to you. You can't expect them just to speak English, or rely on them for your every need because you wouldn't take the time to learn anything about them. (this is kind of a message to all, rather that just you Tri-kun)

But, you are already making an effort, right? That's why you are on this site, asking questions, chatting, and stuff like that.

In short, I think you will do just fine. ;)
aoisatomi

Return to Japanese General Discussion