fbpx

0 Comments

October 18, 2017

折り紙つき certified to be good

kotoba no gogen
The Origin of Words

折り紙つき origami tsuki

There was a popular NHK Word game show which showcased the etymology of a word each week. I wanted to start a section on the origins of some words (言葉の語源 kotoba no gogen ) and thought I’d start with today’s word:

Meaning: something very nice; certified to be good

Example: 

このレストランのピザは、()(がみ)つきのおいしさです

kono resutoran no piza wa, origami tsuki no oishisa desu.
this-restaurant-‘s-pizza-as for-guarantee-‘s-tastiness-is.
I guarantee you’ll love the pizza in this restaurant.

Origin: It actually has nothing to do with origami as we know it today. This "origami" refers to an official document certifying the authenticity of a sword (刀の鑑定書 katana no kanteisho). The tsuki means the sword comes with this guaranteed certificate. This paper was folded and thus called "ori" (to fold) "kami" (paper). It is now used to refer to objects in general.

Sharing is caring!

{"email":"Email address invalid","url":"Website address invalid","required":"Required field missing"}

Level up your Japanese!

free-kanji-or-hiragana-offer-final

For Total Beginners

Japanese for beginners - Beri-Beri Shoshinsha

This 15-book study guide + worksheets bundle is ON SALE. For just one-time payment only, you will get this bundle for a very low price plus you will get future contents for free (no additional charge).

Easy to follow and understand

This bundle is perfect for absolute beginners. It's thorough without being wordy, giving you exactly enough information to understand the concepts without overloading you with information. 

TheJapanShop.com Customer

Makoto+ Membership

You'll notice many TheJapanesePage.com lessons have bonus content for Makoto+ Members. Well, membership goes well beyond that. Members also get our monthly magazine for learners of Japanese (Beginners to Intermediates), weekly exclusive lessons, Podcast bonus content, and much more.

>