Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Practice conversation

Practice conversation

Feel free to practice writing in Japanese or romaji. Help each other out with corrections or replying back in Japanese

Practice conversation

Postby CroZ » Sun 03.19.2006 8:31 pm

Hi
I've spent the passed six months learning Kanji, but i've completely overlooked everything else until about two day's ago.
Right now i've gotten up to must do on the grammer, it's confusing so I'm taking a break to look over what i've learnt.
So placing logic aside to keep up with my vocabulary does the following appear correct? If not the particles, and well, mostly everything, is it in the proper order?

1. Mise e de ikimasu ga hoishii ka
2. iie, onbin no tokoro ikimasu ga suki ga hoishii
1. Demo, basketto ga yasui ga arimasu to gohan tabemasu ga hoishii
2. Anata wa gohan ga tabeshite
1. hai, demo totemo oishikunei o
2. Daijoubu, watashi tachi mise ikimasu ga hoishii
1. Arigatou gosaimasu, demo sousou, yoru narimasu ni to omoimasu desu
2. Daijoubu desu, motto mise ga arimasu to zenshin ga dekimasu moshi anata wa ga suki ka

This is what I wanted

1. Do you want to go to the shop?
2. No, I want to go to a quiet place.
1. But, they are selling cheap baskets and I want rice.
2. You ate rice.
1. Yes, but it was delicious.
2. Alright, we can go to the shop.
1. Thank you very much, but hurry, I think it is becoming dark.
2. It is alright, there are more shops and I can drive if you like?

:DThanks
Last edited by CroZ on Sun 03.19.2006 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CroZ

RE: Practice conversation

Postby TrilinguisT » Sun 03.19.2006 10:03 pm

x- wrong o- correct

1. x - omise he ikitai desu ka?
2. x - iie, shizukana dokoka he ikitai desu.
1. x- shikashi, gohan ga hoshii desu. yasui basuketto wo utteimasu kana.
2. x- gohan wo tabemashita?
1. x - hai, oishikatta.
2. x - ja, omise he ikou!
1. x - arigatou. ima ikou.yoru ni naru da to omoimasu.
2. x. daijoubu. takusan omise ga arimasu. anata wa hoshii to boku wa untensuremasu.
TrilinguisT

Postby Seijiro Hiko » Sun 03.19.2006 10:14 pm

Oh good lord:o... where to start here:|....
You're gonna need someone with more experience than I have:p but...well I'll give it shot.

I'm not completely sure on how to do the fist sentence but here's how I would do it.
店に行きたいですか? - mise ni ikitai desu ka? - (Do you) want to go to the shop?

I don't know what the word for quiet is but what you put and what the kanji recognition thing gave me when I typed it in looks like legit so I'll use it.
いいえ、音便の所に行きたいです。 - iie, onbin no tokoro ni ikitai desu. - No, I want to go to a quiet place.

This could be wrong. I'm not sure If I should use the particle "ga" or "wo" in the first part of the senctence.
でも、安いバスケットを売って居ますそして御飯が欲しいです。 - demo, yasui basuketto o utte imasu soshite, gohan ga hoshii desu. - but (they) are selling cheap baskets and I want rice.

"you ate rice" would be 貴方は御飯を食べました。Anata wa gohan o tabemashita. and usually the "anata wa" (you subject) is understood and left out of the sentence. But I think you were trying to say: You already ate rice. and I don't know how to incorporate "already" into the senctence or even what "already" is. So somebody please help me with that.

はい、でもとても美味しかった よ!- hai, demo totemo oishikatta yo! - yes, (it, the rice) was very delicious! 

hmmm... I'm not sure would to conjugate "iku" (go) to be can go but I can do this:
だいじょうぶ、店に行く事が出来る。 - daijoubu, mise ni iku koto ga dekiru. - Alright, (we) can go to the shop.

You're next senctence look OK but, I notice you wrote thank you very much in english but just said thank you in japanese. I think it would be better to put it this way.
どうもありがとうございます、でも早々、暗いになって居ると思います。 - doumo arigatou gozaimasu, demo sousou, kurai ni natte iru to omoimasu. - Thank you very much, but hurry, I think it is becoming dark.

I'm not even going the last sentence.:D

Well, I think I did pretty well with these but please tell me if I'm wrong on any of them.
Last edited by Seijiro Hiko on Sun 03.19.2006 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seijiro Hiko

Postby richvh » Sun 03.19.2006 10:42 pm

1. 店へ行きたいですか。(Mise e ikitai desu ka.) You use hoshii for wanting things, the -tai conjugation for wanting to do things.
2. いいえ、静かなところに行きたいです。(Iie, shizukana tokoro ni ikitai desu.) Again, you don't use hoshii on verbs, and while you can use suki on them, first you have to turn them into nouns with "no" or "koto".
1. でも、店は安いバスケットを売って、ご飯を食べたいです。(Demo, mise wa yasui basuketto wo utte, gohan o tabetai desu.) Adjectives go before the nouns they modify. Don't use "to" to mean "and" between verbs.
2. ご飯を食べたばかり。(Gohan o tabeta bakari) Direct objects of actions take particle o, "tabeshite" isn't a valid form of "taberu." I added "bakari" to give the meaning of "just ate."
1. はい、でもとても美味しかったですよ。(Hai, demo totemo oishikatta desu yo.) Oishikunei isn't a valid form, and oishikunai (which is) means "isn't delicious."
2. 大丈夫、みせに行こう。(Daijoubu, mise ni ikou.) Changed this to "Ok, let's go to the shop." Neither the potential nor the "mo ii" grammar felt quite right here.
1. ありがとうございますけど、急いで、夜になると思います。(Arigatou gozaimasu kedo, isoide, yoru ni naru to omoimasu.) Use plain form in subordinate clauses in most cases.
2. 大丈夫、外の店があって、もしそれが好きならば、運転できます。(Daijoubu, hoka no mise ga atte, moshi sore ga suki naraba, unten dekimasu.

You'd better go back and review the grammar you've already covered.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby AJBryant » Sun 03.19.2006 11:04 pm

Others have provided corrections and suggestions, but I want to address more critical elements.

1. But, they are selling cheap baskets and I want rice

While this works rather well in English, it's more complex in Japanese. This is actually a compound sentence -- it has two subjects and two predicates. The first half of the sentence is about the store. "IT is selling XYZ." The second half is about YOU. "I want to buy ABC." You need some kind of separating conjunction here to differentiate the two subjects -- like "moreover" or "and on top of that".

As Rich's correction shows:
店は安いバスケットを売って、ご飯を食べたいです

This sentence says that "the shop sells inexpensive baskets and [the shop] wants to eat rice." That's a product of the compound sentence structure reflected in the Japanese.

You're better off not trying something like this at this point. You really need to get the basics down first.

1. Yes, but it was delicious.

Why "but"? That makes no sense given the previous sentence.

ありがとうございますけど

I don't think I've ever seen this combination before. I'd recommend: "ありがとうございます。しかし..."

もしそれが好きならば、運転できます。

I'd recommend よかったら運転してあげる。

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Return to 日本語の練習 (Practice Japanese)