Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Jewish people in Japan

Jewish people in Japan

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Jewish people in Japan

Postby southpark_88 » Sat 03.18.2006 1:24 am

I once heard about how Japan has a growing Jewish community. Is this true? If so, are there many of them? Also, I would like to visit Japan some day. What kind of reaction might I get if I told someone I was Jewish. The only time I ever tell someone that is when a person asks me about my name and where it came from.
southpark_88

RE: Jewish people in Japan

Postby zengargoyle » Sat 03.18.2006 1:33 am

heh, just let them know that they might be Jewish also... :D
http://www5.ocn.ne.jp/~magi9/isracame.htm

aside from that, not a clue...
zengargoyle

Postby TrilinguisT » Sat 03.18.2006 2:28 am

hmm. my teacher is half jewish and japanese... i think they can care less if you're jewish -- they dont seem to mind japanese muslims or japanese christians much.. i dont think you have anything to fear..
TrilinguisT

Postby Harisenbon » Mon 03.20.2006 2:37 am

I'm jewish and live in the boondocks of Japan (kinda sorta). There's not much of a Jewish community here (I know of 1 orthodox temple in kyoto, but that's about it. I'm sure there are more though). When I tell people I'm jewish, most people have only a slight inkling of what that means. Generally they know the star of david, and that's about it. I don't think that there is any real anti-semetism in Japan for the same reason that there's no anti-shintoism in Canada, there's just not enough people who know about it to form an opinion.
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby AJBryant » Mon 03.20.2006 12:59 pm

You should be glad you're in Japan NOW.

Fifteen years ago there was an incredible (and inexplicable) anti-semitism wave rolling through Japan with the publication of such best-sellers as "If you can understand the Jews you can understand (XYZ)" and -- surprise -- a translation of that classic, "Protocols of the Elders of Zion."

If you want an eye-opener, see if you can find a copy of that book. Even now, there are a lot of books coming out with titles starting with "ユダヤ人..."

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby keatonatron » Mon 03.20.2006 1:15 pm

That is strange. What reason would anyone in Japan have to be an anti-semite? I just can't see them being that specific with their racism :p
keatonatron

Postby TrilinguisT » Mon 03.20.2006 2:21 pm

I will/can never understand why anyone would hate someone else just because their religious affiliation. Why is there so much hate between jewish, christians, and muslims? i swear, ppl in this world take religion too seriously to the point where others get hurt or offended.. I think they should think for what they believe is right, using religion as a guidance only, not a choice maker...
TrilinguisT

Postby Harisenbon » Tue 03.21.2006 3:13 am

Tony,
Actually, I have seen a few of those books at BookOff. I thought they were kind of creepy, but never realized that it was a big movement.

I:ve never had any problem with being jewish, but I think a lot of people also just forget that I:m jewish. ;)
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby AJBryant » Tue 03.21.2006 3:48 am

Actually, I have seen a few of those books at BookOff. I thought they were kind of creepy, but never realized that it was a big movement.

It wasn't so much a movement as it was a few guys writing weird books that for some inexplicable reason became REALLY best sellers. I remember seeing articles and interviews with people who learned everything they knew about Jews from those books -- they'd never met a real one -- and were total idiots.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby hyperconjugated » Tue 03.21.2006 5:13 am

I just read Leo Rosten's The (New) Joys of Yiddish. It gives a great insight about Judaism and culture of Ashkenazi Jews in America to ignorant goys like me throught Yiddish words. It gave me a spark to take an elementary Yiddish course sometime in
the future. Ok, little off topic here but I had to share this because the book is simply one of the best books I've read. A mekhaye ;)
hyperconjugated

Native language: Finnish

Postby keatonatron » Tue 03.21.2006 6:51 am

Harisenbon wrote:
I:ve never had any problem with being jewish, but I think a lot of people also just forget that I:m jewish. ;)

If it ever really became a problem it'd be so easy to hide it. I very rarely get asked my religion. Plus, all white people look alike, so no one could figure it out from your goofy Jew-face. :D:D:D
keatonatron

Postby kaywala » Tue 03.21.2006 11:05 am

TrilinguisT wrote:
I will/can never understand why anyone would hate someone else just because their religious affiliation. Why is there so much hate between Jewish, Christians, and Muslims? i swear, ppl in this world take religion too seriously to the point where others get hurt or offended.. I think they should think for what they believe is right, using religion as a guidance only, not a choice maker...

That started when the Turks invaded Muslim land and changed their tenant from Seek Knowledge to Kill the Infidel...before that Muslims, Jews and Christians all got along. Muslims use to go to Alexandria and get taught by Jewish professors...

And then in the Middle Ages, the Jews ran the banking system which caused some strife among the Christians because Christians were told they couldn't handle money. So if you had a sour day because you didn't have any money, blame the Jews.

So it's not so much the cause of religious affiliation because they all worship the same god...(these three religions being the only monotheistic religions) it's the ideals behind that... Oo I hope I didn't bore you x_x
kaywala

Postby AJBryant » Tue 03.21.2006 12:37 pm

That started when the Turks invaded Muslim land and changed their tenant from Seek Knowledge to Kill the Infidel...before that Muslims, Jews and Christians all got along.

No. They didn't. I recommend reading a real history rather than a PC whitewash of it. Perhaps this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0895260131

I think everyone should read that book.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby kaywala » Tue 03.21.2006 3:49 pm

I didn't get that from a 'PC whitewash' I learned that in my world history class. When I say 'got a long' I mean they tolerated each other.

Edit:

I looked at the book from Amazon. Are you refering to the crusades? I'm talking about the time period before that. BTW The first 6 crusades weren't a result of conflicting religions, it was over the holy land and who owned rights to it. A really good book on Islam is called Islamic Political Thought or somewhere along those lines. It goes into the religion quite well.
Last edited by kaywala on Tue 03.21.2006 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kaywala

Postby AJBryant » Tue 03.21.2006 5:52 pm

When I say 'got a long' I mean they tolerated each other.

Look up the word "dhimmitude" for "get along."

No, I'm talking about Islamic history. WHich is really off topic here, so that's it. :)

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Next

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan