Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Naku-na! Tanaka-kun

Naku-na! Tanaka-kun

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Naku-na! Tanaka-kun

Postby skrhgh3b » Tue 03.21.2006 9:48 pm

(I wasn't sure if this was the exact right forum to post this in, so, moderators, please feel welcome to move it if necessary.)

Thanks to Mangajin, a little-known four panel gag strip from the 80s called Naku-na! Tanaka-kun (Don't Cry! Tanaka-kun) reached something of a cult status among English-speaking learners of Japanese. I tracked the book down while I was in Japan and occasionally translate a strip or two. Since I'm currently on my spring break, and no money and terrible weather has given me enough free time, I tried to create a translation similar in format to those bilingual comics you find in Japanese bookstores - only tailored to the needs of a learner of Japanese. Anyway, here's the result. I'm not sure how many of these I'll end up doing, but if the response is positive enough, I may consider posting more in the future.
♪夢も見たくない 幸せなんか要らない
恋もしたくない お金なんか要らない
ぼくに必要な眠りを眠らせておくれ♪
skrhgh3b

RE: Naku-na! Tanaka-kun

Postby Mukade » Tue 03.21.2006 9:57 pm

Hey, that's pretty cool.

I would say that the sense in panel two is a touch different. He's making a plaintative statement, so the 'huh?' might not exactly capture the same feeling as the original. Perhaps something like, "Man, it's another two days until payday?"

Your translation of ボー is pretty good. Sometimes translators have to step away from the original to create a more natural English translation, and here 'sigh' gets to the point very well. If you are trying to create these to help others learn Japanese, however, you might want to make a note that ボー doesn't really mean sigh, per se, but instead is the mimetic word for 'staring blankly into space.'

Good job! I'd love to see more...
Mukade

Native language: English

Postby skrhgh3b » Tue 03.21.2006 10:10 pm

Mukade wrote:
Hey, that's pretty cool.

I would say that the sense in panel two is a touch different. He's making a plaintative statement, so the 'huh?' might not exactly capture the same feeling as the original. Perhaps something like, "Man, it's another two days until payday?"

Your translation of ボー is pretty good. Sometimes translators have to step away from the original to create a more natural English translation, and here 'sigh' gets to the point very well. If you are trying to create these to help others learn Japanese, however, you might want to make a note that ボー doesn't really mean sigh, per se, but instead is the mimetic word for 'staring blankly into space.'

Good job! I'd love to see more...

Really? I interpreted both statements as inwardly-directed rhetorical statements, and I hope the translation got that across with natural-sounding English. In that sense, I don't see any difference between "huh" and "man" beyond word choice - or at least that was my intent. I'll consider changing the translation, though.
Last edited by skrhgh3b on Tue 03.21.2006 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
♪夢も見たくない 幸せなんか要らない
恋もしたくない お金なんか要らない
ぼくに必要な眠りを眠らせておくれ♪
skrhgh3b

Postby skrhgh3b » Tue 03.21.2006 10:58 pm

One more :)

"Doodie" was the funniest word I could think of for "unko." It reminds me of that scene in Caddyshack :D

OK, this one was pretty easy, but still funny :)
♪夢も見たくない 幸せなんか要らない
恋もしたくない お金なんか要らない
ぼくに必要な眠りを眠らせておくれ♪
skrhgh3b

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips