Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - 絶対におかしい

絶対におかしい

Feel free to practice writing in Japanese or romaji. Help each other out with corrections or replying back in Japanese

RE: 絶対におかしい

Postby keatonatron » Thu 03.23.2006 11:53 am

Justin wrote:
If you put furigana on all the words you don’t know before you take the time to study them, I find that it tends to make people a little lazy as they’re drawn more towards the furigana when reading, rather than just trying to read the kanji itself.

I thought the same thing, and so I didn't write any furigana in my book, just tried to remember the kanji. However, my teacher told us to write furigana for any kanji we didn't know, so I tried it and surprisingly it did help me learn! Maybe I'm just good at looking at the kanji first. I guess if you write the furigana small enough so it takes some work to read it, that would work good. If you don't know the kanji well enough to remember the readingwithin a second or two, then you can go ahead and look at the furigana because you probably won't remember no matter how long you stare at it... and if you go over it enough times, you'll learn the kanji.

At least that worked for me...

Just so you know, I'm not offended at all by your use of 俺. However, that's only because I'm not Japanese. It's like saying the F-word to a Japanese person... even if they know the meaning, they don't really feel its effect.

Anyway, one thing strange I noticed about my language school is that although they teach how you're supposed to talk to your teachers and people you don't know well, they don't enforce it at all! I was so surprised to hear students talking to their teachers using the informal form. I just commented on your use of 俺 so you would realize and perhaps practice speaking formally, which is normal when addressing a group.

And, of course, if you really do use 俺 when talking to people you don't know, you should definately work on that... Even if you use it with Japanese friends, if it doesn't really fit your personality type/position in the relationship, it could kinda rub them the wrong way.

I started reading a manga that had lots of yakuza-style talking in it, and so I started to say 俺 without really realizing it. All my friends said "Ug, that totally doesn't sound like you! I don't like it when you use 俺, it just doesn't fit." Lucky for me, my friends actually said something instead of just pushing me away B)
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby CajunCoder » Thu 03.23.2006 3:00 pm

Actually, I think most students of are far over paranoid about 俺. I even read somewhere that it can be used in such semi-formal situations as talking to people you don't nessicarily know, but want to be friendly around and are on the same "level" as (Do note, I read that in japanese, so I may have misunderstood something :P).

Using 私 In such context however, would sound either very odd/stiff, or as if he is a girl. I think casual speach is not practiced enough... But anyway, I'm sticking with 僕 For the most part, until I really get to understand how to use 俺、 And even then I may stick with 僕 Anyway...

とにかく、マイルズ「−さん?」の日本語は、すごく上手だよね! いつから勉強してるの?
だれか、日本語で話すのはうれしいですね。 日本語で練習するのは、もっとするほうがいいと思う。
Last edited by CajunCoder on Thu 03.23.2006 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CajunCoder

Postby TrilinguisT » Thu 03.23.2006 9:18 pm

richvh wrote:
俺 is normal for your age people to use with their in-group; we're your outgroup, so you should be a little more respectful.

that was why i asked you for your age, and all those other questions, maizuru sama ;)-

i did read you post --
TrilinguisT

Postby mairuzu » Thu 03.23.2006 10:42 pm

ありがとうみんな本当に。。。感動しました。もう一度すみませんでしたね。
僕は来週の水曜日には10月日本語を勉強していたんです。
彼女が日本人だから、毎日、日本語を使ったり、
彼女から会った友達も日本人だから、沢山日本語が話せるチャンッスがあったりします。
本当に毎日に2時間以上日本語を勉強する事にしています。
日本語を勉強し始める前に、2年ぐらい毎日真面目なビリアードをしていましたが、
真面目な何かをする事を学びました。でも、毎日真面目な何かをしたら、時々あの何かの仕方は
考え過ぎます。
それなら、毎週の木曜日、日本人の友達といい話をしながら、ビルを飲みます。
As for the 俺を使う問題 yeah that was my mistake to use it, in a real situation of course i wouldnt use it unless i was real close with the person, 例えば、I really have only one american friend here in houston, and i only know him through his wife, who is japanese. and all my other friends are japanese. My girlfriend has many friends, we even play tennis with the vice council of the houston japanese consulate, who over the last 7 months has become a good friend. anyways, i admit i have gotten in the habit of using 俺、just because all my guy friends use it, and even my young very goofy japanese tutor said it ok to use amongst friends and with my girlfriend. Most of them dont mind at all, ive even asked them about it. I also used mixi, if anyone knows what that is? a great way to practice reading and writing. bad thing is you have to be invited. its like a japanese myspace. If anyone wants me to invite them i would be more than pleased!!! just let me know.

:D
mairuzu

Previous

Return to 日本語の練習 (Practice Japanese)