Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Going to college in Japan

Going to college in Japan

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Going to college in Japan

Postby emingygurl » Sat 03.25.2006 12:43 pm

I live in the US and teaching myself Japanese right now, and I'd love to go to college and live in Japan. Does anyone have any info on prices, or scholarships? I'm 15, so I don't know much about colleges yet. =P Thank you!
"It's not that I want to win, it's just that I don't want to lose."- Gackt
emingygurl

RE: Going to college in Japan

Postby Christian_ » Sat 03.25.2006 1:31 pm

I don't know too terribly much but, I'm pretty sure you need a 一級 (1 kyuu, the hardest JLPT test) knowledge of japanese :o and then you'd have to worry about finding a place to live. Someone can probably tell you more because I don't know much about Japanese Colleges. Oh and about the price Im assuming its super expensive because Japan is one of the most expensive countries on earth. :o
Goals:
1) Have decent proficiency in Japanese, enough to get around/talk/read/write.
2) Visit Japan for a week or so one summer.
Christian_

Postby emingygurl » Sat 03.25.2006 1:44 pm

Well, like I said I'm studying Japanese and eventually I'll know enough to live there and get a job. =P I don't know why, but I'm interested in living in Osaka. I heard the people there are more friendlier? That's just what I heard. Yeah, heard Japan's expensive. XD Well, hopefully I'll have money. Like I said on my first post, does anyone know about scholarships to Japan colleges? Thanks, Kurisuchan.
emingygurl

Postby Christian_ » Sat 03.25.2006 1:52 pm

Here is a website all about schools in Japan http://gojapan.about.com/od/japaneseschool/
Goals:
1) Have decent proficiency in Japanese, enough to get around/talk/read/write.
2) Visit Japan for a week or so one summer.
Christian_

Postby tk101 » Sat 03.25.2006 7:31 pm

emingygurl wrote:
I live in the US and teaching myself Japanese right now, and I'd love to go to college and live in Japan. Does anyone have any info on prices, or scholarships? I'm 15, so I don't know much about colleges yet. =P Thank you!

Hey emingygurl,

i too want to go to japan for college. i'm 17 and i'm going to graduate from high school( with honors). This summer, i'm doing a homestay for 3 week to reduce cultural schock and to continue my japanese langage studies..I have studied japanese for almost 3years now. How long have you studied?
anyway, in my quest to find out more about colleges in japan i have learn quite a few things. it really depends on what you want to major in, where you to live, and for how long? are you planning on getting a degree at a japanese university? I will, well at least i will try. I'm going by the MEXT scholarship. in that scholarship you have do an interview and test ( usually over japanese language skils and other subjects) in late july( for me). the scholarship pays for tuition, medical insurance ( compensates for 80% of cost if you get sick or injured.) etc. and they help you with living expenses. for undergraduate students they give you about 135000 yen or something around 1200 dollars a month to living on. the scholarship includes a 1 year intensive japanese language study...while your at the language school you can also take othe courses that don't relate to japanes language. This is option. there are some colleges that don't require japanese language skills.... Most college in japan require what is known as the EJU. i believe you don't have to take the JLP test anymore. The EJU can help you get into any college.

here is the college cost for a college in OSAKA
OSAKA CITY U.
http://www.osaka-cu.ac.jp/e_prospects/scholarships.html

Fees & Scholarships
Fees
(April 2005) Application Fee (Yen) Admission Fee (Yen) Annual Tuition Fee (Yen)
Undergraduate Degree Student (Day) 17,000 342,000 535,800
Degree Student (Evening) 10,000 171,000 267,900
Non-Degree Student(1) 9,800 34,200 14,800/credit
Non-Degree Student(2) 9,800 102,600 29,700/month
Graduate Degree Student 30,000 342,000 535,800
Non-Degree Student(1) 9,800 34,200 14,800/credit
Non-Degree Student(2) 9,800 102,600 29,700/month
Non-Degree Student(1): Non-matriculated Credit-based Student (kamokuto-rishusei )
Non-Degree Student(2): Research Student

here are some links that helped me
Monbusho scholarship
for my area, but its generally the same. you should chech with your local consulate office....

http://www.chicago.us.emb-japan.go.jp/JIC/monbusho.html

info on study in japan
http://www.jasso.go.jp/index_e.html

the link above includes college searches, more scholarship searches and info about colleges in japan

Living and housing.
hmm this is were i found housing for myself. i'm not sure if it will be very helpful to you. This is becuase its for housing in Tokyo. but if you look at the site. it will give you a chanca to view average pricing for housing both in the city and in the suburbs, picture and video of people's rentals.

http://www.sakura-house.com
i hope this is helpful to you...
good luck with your studies and college life in japan.
perhaps we may even see each other and never know it.....
Last edited by tk101 on Sat 03.25.2006 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tk101

Postby kaywala » Sat 03.25.2006 7:37 pm

emingygurl wrote:

Hey, that's also what I wanted to do but since I also have other aspires, I found some information out. The University of Hawaii has an awesome Asian languages study and since I want to do that I compromised with that because I believe that you can go to a Japanese college for a school year as well but, I'm not completly sure. The address is:

http://www.hawaii.edu/shaps/

And, the tution is very cheap if you can apply for the Western Undergraduate scholarship reducing the $13,000 out of state to $3,000 ^_^

EDIT

That's amazing tk101 that you've found out all that information. How did you come across that MEXT scholarship and if you don't mind me asking, how far are you in your Japanese? I'm just curious to see how much you need to know to apply for it.
Last edited by kaywala on Sat 03.25.2006 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kaywala

Postby tk101 » Sat 03.25.2006 8:12 pm

fliprenegade wrote:
emingygurl wrote:

Hey, that's also what I wanted to do but since I also have other aspires, I found some information out. The University of Hawaii has an awesome Asian languages study and since I want to do that I compromised with that because I believe that you can go to a Japanese college for a school year as well but, I'm not completly sure. The address is:

http://www.hawaii.edu/shaps/

And, the tution is very cheap if you can apply for the Western Undergraduate scholarship reducing the $13,000 out of state to $3,000 ^_^

EDIT

That's amazing tk101 that you've found out all that information. How did you come across that MEXT scholarship and if you don't mind me asking, how far are you in your Japanese? I'm just curious to see how much you need to know to apply for it.

hmm i came across that MEXT thing, form hours( 2hrs) of searching...
I didn't focus to much on speaking, becuase no one in my area speaks japanese, so i focused on kanji, writing, reading and most of all grammar.
hmm, how far am i? i don't think i understand quite what your saying, but i will give it a try. hmm...I will tell you but there is a limited amount of students and you can't really chose the school you want to go to. you do get to have your top picks but the real decision is made based on space and you academics.

as for japanese lingustical skills for the MEXT scholarship exam...i'm not sure what level.. but i beleive JASSO states that the purpose is to measure how much of the language you know. If you don't know alot or want to improve, check it off on the MEXT scholarship apps that you want the 1 yr lang. courses.... its really faint in my mind right now... i think this should help...http://www.jasso.go.jp/study_j/document ... ip_e02.pdf

also... for people in the states... its best to plan ahead..meaning that if you want to go by the scholarship... you should contact your local consulate office and ask for the application...
the one in chicago sent it in the mail to me....for the 2007 scholarship . basically you have to have graduate from Highschool by march of the previous year...
example...for me...i have to apply for the 2007 and not the 2006 becuasei graduate in june not march...

i hope this helps...sorry i could give you more info...i'm kind of fatigued right now.
tk101

Postby shikamarufoo » Sat 03.25.2006 8:31 pm

Wow I alsho share the same dream as you guys! I am 16 and it's my dream to go to college there to learn computer science there!
I remember my Japanese mentor told me that some colleges have a thing called "Direct Exchange," where you can go study abroad for a fee much less then the colleges there...sorry but that's about all I know, hopefully someone can shed more light on it:).
shikamarufoo

Postby emingygurl » Sat 03.25.2006 8:44 pm

Wow, so many replies so suddenly. =P Thanks for all that information, tk101, it was extremely useful. I've been studying..for about 3-4 months. XD I don't get to study a lot, because I have school work too, but I know all the hiragana and katakana, and the basic basics. =P Introductions, and things like,"This is a book. This isn't a car." XDD

I don't know, I've always loved playing video games, so I'd like to do something to do with..video games. =P I still have to do some research.
emingygurl

Postby tk101 » Mon 03.27.2006 6:35 pm

looks like your one a good start. I too have school but i found it truly difficult to balance school and learning japanese. This year i had to slowed down from my usual 2 hour study( sometimes i get into so much i don't know when to stop) becuase of the those AP courses aren't a joke.

video games... nice....I'm going for Engineering...
Japan is known for videogames and engineering...esp. robotics and programming
tk101

Postby chiisu321 » Tue 08.08.2006 10:03 pm

I'm not sure what's been said already, but i have the same plans and have been researching a lot.
Most schools require a JPLT Level 2 pass rate. That is just about fluent. If you are only at level 3 there are schools that have facilities for you to study until the next test.
Some schools provide international dorms for a good price.
You would have to research a specific school for scholarship and price info. I suggest you look at colleges yourself to find a good one for you.
chiisu321

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 08.09.2006 1:18 pm

what has been said already is easily found out by reading the thread.. something i would advocate everyone doing before they post up.

not a stab at you specifically chiisu321 just a general observation..
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby Ezrach » Wed 08.09.2006 8:57 pm

The Japanese gov's official word on what it takes to pass proficiency:

For level 2 (Some schools, but not the greatest of the lot)
"The examinee has mastered grammar to a relatively high level, knows around 1,000 kanji and 6,000 words, and has the ability to converse, read, and write about matters of a general nature. This level is normally reached after studying Japanese for around 600 hours and after completion of an intermedeate course."

For level 1 (The schools that really help on a resume)
"The examinee has mastered grammar to a high level, konws around 2,000 kanji and 10,000 words, and has an integrated command of the language sufficient for life in Japanese society. This level is normally reached after studying Japanese for around 900 hours."

When it says "hours", that implies a proper classroom environment, where you are thoroughly grounded in the language. There was another recent thread about uni in Japan, so you might want to check out what has been said over there, as well.
Ezrach

Postby asamix » Mon 08.14.2006 2:49 pm

Im japanese and go Ritsumeikan Asia Pasific University now. In my university half student are not japanese and can take class english and japanese. http://www.apu.ac.jp/home/index.php?sel_lang=english here is APU HP.
I think go study abroad is hard.I plan to study in the US next year so I searchin a lot.
asamix

Postby emingygurl » Sat 08.19.2006 2:36 pm

Wow, no clue this topic was still going. Thanks for the replies, I've been doing some research. So far I'm VERY interested in Temple. But I just started reading about the JLPT tests, and would it be easier to go to an American college and study japanese there for a year or so, then transfer? I do plan to live there for a while after college, if that matters. o.O
emingygurl

Next

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan