Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Living in Japan

Living in Japan

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

RE: Living in Japan

Postby keatonatron » Sun 03.26.2006 1:45 am

Ripana Fugu wrote:
I know I said I was just going to listen in, but I gotta ask, has anybody here ever tried takoyaki (squid dumplings:()?

Yep. It's quite tasty.

However, this really isn't the thread for that type of question (notice the topic is requirements for living in Japan... takoyaki has nothing to do with that!). I suggest you post this question in a food thread, or even start your own thread about takoyaki!
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby Ripana Fugu » Sun 03.26.2006 1:57 am

Thank you very much for your input, and actually, I just had to wait for a few more people to come on before I asked this but... Do you think that a appartment, or even a home in Japan would be affordable? I imagine it would be quite expensive, but anyway, I would appreciate any responses.
Ripana Fugu=Splendid blowfish
Ripana Fugu

Postby keatonatron » Sun 03.26.2006 3:39 am

Location, location, location.

In America, a house in Manhattan is LOT more expensive than a house in the middle of Montana. Similarly, a house in Roppongi Hills is a LOT more expensive than a house in the middle of Kyushuu.

And what exactly do you mean by "affordable"? Almost every Japanese person has one, which means they obviously can afford it. Does that make it affordable? :p
keatonatron

Postby shikitohno » Sun 03.26.2006 5:50 pm

Okay, thanks for the answer. And I was also interested about the costs of living. Would it be "enough" if you managed to put away, say $20,000 before you moved to a suburban area? I know that's an extremely vague description, so, sorry.

Also, starting next year, I'll be going to a trade school for auto mechanics, so would that be a viable career as well?
{the goals}
Hiragana: 46/46
Katakana: 34/46
Kanji:1-99
shikitohno

Postby keatonatron » Sun 03.26.2006 10:46 pm

shikitohno wrote:
Also, starting next year, I'll be going to a trade school for auto mechanics, so would that be a viable career as well?

You mean in Japan? The land of Toyota, Nissan, Mitsubishi, and Honda?

A lot of people talk about going to Japan to do jobs that normal Japanese people do (manga artist, j-pop singer, convenience store worker, etc.), which I guess is possible, but... I just have the feeling it would be hard. Taking cars for example, when the employer has to choose between a foreigner (who needs a visa, will most likely be taking money out of the Japanese economy, and doesn't speak Japanese as a first language) and a Japanese worker (who... is Japanese, [speaks Japanese, will keep money in the economy] and has probably trained from a fairly young age at an actual Toyote/Honda/Nissan school), I can't think of many situations in which he'd choose the foreigner.

Yes, it is possible to get jobs like this... But I think you'd have to be in the right place at the right time and catch a shortage of labor so they'd have to hire you. It's a million times easier to get a job that normal Japanese people can't do, like teaching English or some job where you have to work with other foreigners a lot.

As for a place to live, if you were planning on working soon after you arrived, and moved into a fairly rural place, 20k would be sufficient. I live off less per year, but I'm in a teeny apartment, no car, and I don't have to commute anywhere (trains get expensive!!).
keatonatron

Previous

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan