Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Advice on learning Kanji.

Advice on learning Kanji.

The test - experiences, questions or comments

RE: Advice on learning Kanji.

Postby dragon89 » Fri 04.01.2005 11:10 pm

Daisuke wrote:
Once and a while i am a little bored at school I practice there too.. (I know I should not but sience is not a favorite of mine!) Once, when my teacher found out, he took my book and started to ask me what the heck this was, and he told me that I would never learn anything, but he didn't know that I was actually learning until he stopped me.. ;)

lol. I do the same thing if i'm bored I write the little bit of japanese that I know in hirigana. I'm just learning katakana right now :)
dragon89

Postby Spaztick » Sun 04.03.2005 1:27 pm

w00t lets hear it for page 4!

And with almost 3k views!

yatta!
XD At this sig.
Number of people that have: 13
SaiaiKenja
Daisuke
Kodi
dreamingxashley
redfoxer
ben
Elumi
LordDisa
Kates
AaRoN
Rezeyu
Hideiko_san
roosh
ParanoiaK3
Spaztick

Postby Kaze » Sun 04.03.2005 2:35 pm

hey this is my first post......

i mainly used flashcards to memorize kana. that was pretty easy but now kanji.... well i try and someday i will be able to memorize them too. guess it's just a lack of practice.
風が 寄せた 言葉に
泳いだ 心
雲が 運ぶ 明日に
弾んだ 声
Kaze

Postby Spaztick » Mon 04.04.2005 9:29 am

What I plan on doing to learn vocabulary and the kanji pronounciations is to use flashcards after I learn the kanji, so then I'm not looking at each individual kanji but the word as a whole, kind of like in einlsgh werhe you jsut look and can raed.
XD At this sig.
SaiaiKenja
Daisuke
Kodi
dreamingxashley
redfoxer
ben
Elumi
LordDisa
Kates
AaRoN
Rezeyu
Hideiko_san
roosh
ParanoiaK3
Spaztick

Postby XD » Sun 04.24.2005 5:21 pm

you should try to memorize all the kana and hiri alphebet first and then do kanji. That helped me a lot. and just doodle the alphabets in class if your bored.
Last edited by XD on Sun 04.24.2005 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XD

Postby Spaztick » Sun 04.24.2005 9:22 pm

Yays for my revived thread!

And wow, have you XD'd at my sig yet?
XD At this sig.
SaiaiKenja
Daisuke
Kodi
dreamingxashley
redfoxer
ben
Elumi
LordDisa
Kates
AaRoN
Rezeyu
Hideiko_san
roosh
ParanoiaK3
Spaztick

Postby Elumi » Mon 04.25.2005 12:27 am

Spaztick wrote:
Yays for my revived thread!

And wow, have you XD'd at my sig yet?

I've been meaning to ask you what you meant by XD. Ah... well, if you want me to I guess.

I'm reviewing Hiragana while memorizing Katakana but a little bit scared in taking on Kanji. I mean, the kana is so easy to study (maybe because I've gotten used to it already) but Kanji is totally different, ne?! Ah... still need to learn so I will go ahead and study it.

Btw, reviewing kana at work is so annoying because suddenly my co-workers will hear me muttering the syllables and they always check if I'm okay. lol Maybe because I kept saying hi hi hi... :D
-=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=-
Saru mo ki kara ochiru
(Even Monkeys fall from trees)
Elumi

Postby Daisuke » Mon 04.25.2005 7:38 am

Elumi wrote:
I've been meaning to ask you what you meant by XD. Ah... well, if you want me to I guess.

Uhmm.. XD is like this smilie :D with these eyes >.< .. You can XD at his signature if you want to, i don't think you need any reason to do it. I didn't have one.

Elumi wrote:
I'm reviewing Hiragana while memorizing Katakana but a little bit scared in taking on Kanji. I mean, the kana is so easy to study (maybe because I've gotten used to it already) but Kanji is totally different, ne?! Ah... still need to learn so I will go ahead and study it.

What makes kanji harder to learn is that they got more readings and meanings, while kana just have one way to be pronounced. The first kanji aren't hard to remember, but it will get hard to remember when you learn more. My advise would be to get a book on kanji, (My own mistake is i don't have one), and the one Spaztick recommended to me, 'Read Japanese Today' should be really good. It got information about the first 300 kanji.

Elumi wrote:
Btw, reviewing kana at work is so annoying because suddenly my co-workers will hear me muttering the syllables and they always check if I'm okay. lol Maybe because I kept saying hi hi hi... :D

:D
Last edited by Daisuke on Mon 04.25.2005 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Daisuke
Site Admin

Postby redfoxer » Mon 05.02.2005 10:35 am

meanings are easy to learn....its just the on and kun readings that slow me down. If it was core meanings, id be on kyuu 3 kanji's quick, but the only kanji's i no on and kun and core is 1 - 10, and i think mum and dad and some other random kanjis. Then there are kanjis where i just no either the kun or on. I need an approach and time to learning kanji....gotta...stop...playing....games.....
日本語はとても面白いと思いますよ!私は日本語が大好きです!
redfoxer

Postby Spaztick » Mon 05.02.2005 2:30 pm

Gee whiterabbit,

No shameful advertisement here. Keep this site spam free plz.
XD At this sig.
SaiaiKenja
Daisuke
Kodi
dreamingxashley
redfoxer
ben
Elumi
LordDisa
Kates
AaRoN
Rezeyu
Hideiko_san
roosh
ParanoiaK3
Spaztick

Postby hyperconjugated » Fri 05.06.2005 5:56 pm

My approach to kanji learning is somewhat similar to many of the people here. Usually learning is most interesting when one is supposed to study something else than japanese ;) I tend to learn about ten kanji at time in somewhat two hours and then review few hours later and the next day I check if I can recall the stroke order and kun on on readings. That's because in my kanji book the kanjies are groupped in bunch on tens. The kanji and the kun reading is usually for me really easy to learn but on reading(s) is somewhat harder to learn. I've learned that the on readings are much easier to learn when you learn some jukugo with that kanji. For example, i never remember the on reading of the kanji hanasu(to speak). But I always remember that it is part of the jukugo denwa(phone). So there, i recall the on reading that way. And my kanji book gives to almost every kanji three or more jukugo. This way i study the kanji and almost always three jukugo. Moreover, when learning more new kanjies these jukugos often coincide with kanjies learned before, therefore reinforcing the learning process. I also have somewhat photographic memory that makes me recall the kanji from where it was located on the page of the kanji book. It weird that one can summon kanji simply by recalling the group in which first popped up and the location on the page. For the record, i don't learn 10 every day. Actually I have to be in really good japanesemotivated studying mood in order to learn. That's my 2 cents
Learning kanji is fun :)
hyperconjugated

Native language: Finnish

RE: uh..

Postby Musha » Mon 05.16.2005 2:33 am

who got some good sites 2 learn japanese??
i really wonna learn the language =)

thnx
The darkness seeks out those who need it the most !!
Musha

Postby Daisuke » Mon 05.16.2005 6:59 am

Musha wrote:
who got some good sites 2 learn japanese??
i really wonna learn the language =)

thnx

This site.
Daisuke
Site Admin

Postby Tsuyoiko » Thu 05.19.2005 6:32 am

Hello, this is my first post! I also learn at work - it is the only way I can stand it (work I mean, not learning - Nihongo wa tanoshii desu!)! I learn kanji using flashcards and then write sentences with those kanji I have learnt. I haven't used any books, but I use this site, and one for stroke order
http://japanese.about.com/blkodindex.htm
And one for example sentences
http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/wwwjdic.html
:)
Tsuyoiko

Postby Ogawa » Fri 05.20.2005 1:34 pm

I know what you mean. I have to constantly write and rewrite kanji. sometimes I see in a book what the chinese reading is and then I look in another book to see what words can be made from that kanji. this helps me learn kanji and new vocabulary.:D
fear not death, it ends only your life. nothing else.
Ogawa

PreviousNext

Return to Japanese Language Proficiency Test