fbpx

0 Comments

March 1, 2024

Body Idioms Part I

There are many expressions which use body parts in Japanese. Let’s take a look at a few of them.

(はな)(たか)

This phrase literally translates to "one's nose is high." However, it's not a reference to the story of Pinocchio, where a long nose indicates lies. Instead, this idiom is a positive feeling of being proud.

When someone is proud, that person might lift his or her head, inadvertently causing their nose to point upwards. This physical gesture is recognized as a sign of pride or satisfaction.

The phrase can be compared to the English expression "to hold one's head up high" which signifies pride or confidence. But don't confuse it with "to look down one's nose at" which can denote a sense of superiority or disdain.

(はな))(たか)い means “to be proud of” or "to take pride in"

For example, when you get a good grade on your test:

テストの(てん)()くて、(わたし)(はな)(たか)いです。

My grade on the test was excellent and I’m proud of myself.

Vocabulary

And even if it isn’t about yourself, you can feel pride. Like, if you have a younger brother who is good at sports:

(わたし)(おとうと)は、スポーツ万能(ばんのう)なので、(はな)(たか)いです。

My brother is an all-around sports player and I’m proud of him.

Vocabulary

(かお)(ひろ)

This literally means “one’s face is large”. But it doesn’t actually mean having a big face.

You might use this expression to describe someone who is sociable, well-connected, and possesses good networking skills. It's akin to the English expression "having a wide circle of acquaintances" or being "well-connected."

Thus, (かお)(ひろ)い is used to describe someone who "knows many people" or "has many connections" across various fields and social groups. It is generally considered a compliment, reflecting the person's sociability, influence, and ability to maintain a broad range of relationships.

(かお))(ひろ)い means “to know many people” or "be well-connected."

田中(たなか)さんは、(かお)(ひろ)いので、どこに()っても挨拶(あいさつ)ばかりしている。

Tanaka-san knows a lot of people and he is always being greeted everywhere he goes.

Vocabulary

This might suggest he's sociable, but being (かお)(ひろ)い (well-connected) and 社交的(しゃこうてき) (sociable) are distinct concepts.

A sociable person might not have a wide circle of friends or acquaintances, whereas someone (かお)(ひろ)い knows many people, often from casual work interactions. This term applies even if these connections are superficial.

For example, if someone has numerous friends on online social networks, they could be considered (かお)(ひろ)い.

Conversely, 社交的(しゃこうてき) refers to an outgoing and communicative individual. It's less about the number of connections and more about the person's social behavior and temperament.

社交的(しゃこうてき)

Here is an example sentence with 社交的(しゃこうてき):

彼女(かのじょ)はとても社交的(しゃこうてき)で、どんなパーティーでもすぐに友達(ともだち)(つく)ることができます。

She is very sociable and can make friends easily at any party.

Vocabulary

Sharing is caring!

{"email":"Email address invalid","url":"Website address invalid","required":"Required field missing"}

Level up your Japanese!

free-kanji-or-hiragana-offer-final

For Total Beginners

Japanese for beginners - Beri-Beri Shoshinsha

This 15-book study guide + worksheets bundle is ON SALE. For just one-time payment only, you will get this bundle for a very low price plus you will get future contents for free (no additional charge).

Easy to follow and understand

This bundle is perfect for absolute beginners. It's thorough without being wordy, giving you exactly enough information to understand the concepts without overloading you with information. 

TheJapanShop.com Customer

Makoto+ Membership

You'll notice many TheJapanesePage.com lessons have bonus content for Makoto+ Members. Well, membership goes well beyond that. Members also get our monthly magazine for learners of Japanese (Beginners to Intermediates), weekly exclusive lessons, Podcast bonus content, and much more.

>