Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Kanji Web Game

Kanji Web Game

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Kanji Web Game

Postby IkimashoZ » Mon 03.27.2006 12:18 am

Hi everyone. I've recently begun working on a webgame designed to help with kanji (but mostly just be a fun web rpg), and I think I'm at the point where I want to throw some people into it and see how they fare. In other words, I'm at a sort of pre-beta-testing phase. Not everything works, but enough of it works that I'd like to weed out any major issues before moving on.

The basic game flow looks like this:
make a map (or use someone else's) -> place kanji on the map -> "combo" the kanji into words (increases their hp, atk and def) -> kick the crap out of everyone else's kanji (any kanji that you can whack down to 0 HP become yours) -> wait a certain amount of time and you'll regain turns automatically (kanka goes up based on how many kanji are in your possession)

The game is called 漢字冒険 (かんじぼうけん - or just 漢冒 (かんぼう)). And yes, the currency name, "kanka" is a nonsense word I derived for my own purposes -- 漢貨. I can hear all of you who know those kanji grumbling as I type this.

I would ask that anyone playing the game at this point keep a close eye on on exactly what goes wrong or what doesn't show up right. Please report, in detail, any problems you notice. So far I have reports that the game works in Netscape and Safari, and I have Firefox and IE. So all those -should- be fine. But please let me know. Naturally, you need to be able to display Japanese characters to play the game.

Okay, that's it, I think. I'm not attempting anything remotely grammatical this time, so I don't suppose I need to put any disclaimer up, like "I'm not a translation professional; don't hate me for being different; blah, blah, blah..." So yeah. Give it a whirl, and let me know what you think.

- Matt
http://kanji.languagesite.net/
Last edited by IkimashoZ on Mon 03.27.2006 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ist das einen Kanji, dass ich gefunden habe??
IkimashoZ

RE: Kanji Web Game

Postby Tegan » Mon 03.27.2006 12:43 am

Ok, I registered and started playing. I also confirm it works in Firefox. With only two people playing so far I feel bad attacking again and again... >> But, I do have one suggestion if you don't mind.

Maybe you could put grid numbers up around the grid so that it would be easier to know which X and Y to put in the box? I don't know if that makes sense or even if you wanted suggestions.

Anyway, great game so far, I'm sure I'll enjoy playing!:D

Thanks!

---

Also, just now the Inventory and Shop pages didn't show up. Sorry to be a bother. ><
Last edited by Tegan on Mon 03.27.2006 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tegan

Postby IkimashoZ » Mon 03.27.2006 12:45 am

Oh, yes, of course! Have at it with suggestions. You can tear the game to shreds if you want... anything that will help me make it better.
IkimashoZ

Postby Tegan » Mon 03.27.2006 12:49 am

Wow! That was fast! I turned back to the world and was like: Numbers! Cool! :D

---

Hmm... should I be able to get negative turns? Because it's letting me. Just thought I would report. ^^
Last edited by Tegan on Mon 03.27.2006 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tegan

Postby IkimashoZ » Mon 03.27.2006 12:56 am

Tegan wrote:
Maybe you could put grid numbers up around the grid so that it would be easier to know which X and Y to put in the box?

Also, just now the Inventory and Shop pages didn't show up. Sorry to be a bother. ><

How do the grid numbers look?

The Inventory and Shop pages aren't up yet. I just haven't done them. Same deal with status transfer. The form is on the page, but it doesn't do anything yet -- probably just produces an error.

Tegan wrote:
Hmm... should I be able to get negative turns? Because it's letting me. Just thought I would report. ^^

No. Negative turns are bad. What are you doing that's letting you go into negative turns?
Last edited by IkimashoZ on Mon 03.27.2006 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
IkimashoZ

Postby Tegan » Mon 03.27.2006 12:59 am

How do the grid numbers look?

They look great! It helps a lot. I figured that might be true about the Inventory and Shop pages. The combo works, and creating new maps works also. But I'm still wondering about the negative turns?

In otherwords, I have -11 turns right now, and I don't think it's supposed to do that right? I would have stopped sooner but I wanted to try the combo.:D

---

Oh, just saw your last post. I'm not really doing anything other than... I just keep taking turns. Hmm... at one point I wasn't really sure how I lost one, but then I was negative and I went to report. Then I wanted to try a combo and figured, "hey, I'll try real quick and then lay off and let the negative turns turn positive again." It let me do it and now I'm down to negative 11.

It just doesn't stop me. I guess I could just exercise control and not TAKE turns, but ... that would be no fun. However, for the moment I am restraining and letting turns build back up again.:D
Last edited by Tegan on Mon 03.27.2006 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tegan

Postby IkimashoZ » Mon 03.27.2006 1:13 am

Well, I'd like you to do one of each of these things ('cause they're all different parts of the code) and let me know which ones do and which one's don't, because they're all different parts of the code ->

create a map
place a kanji
do a combo
attack another kanji

btw, don't worry about hurting anyone's feelings by attacking them. This is pre-beta mode. It'll all be lost anyway.

[[edit]]:
I may have fixed the problem. I made some changes to some parts of the turn checking code a few minutes ago, just before you reported the error. I tried to reproduce your error (took myself down to 0 turns) just now for all four different functions and I got the "no turns left" message every single time. How did you fare?
Last edited by IkimashoZ on Mon 03.27.2006 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
IkimashoZ

Postby Tegan » Mon 03.27.2006 1:23 am

Now it won't let me do any of those. Of course, since I can't place a kanji I can't really try to combo anything else, though I did try to combo two of yours. In part because I wanted to see if it would let you combo other people's pieces, and in part to see if it would stop me because of the negative turns.

The error I got back for trying to combo your two tiles included, "no turns" and "at least one specified kanji has already been comboed" It didn't say anything about me trying to combo other people's tiles. However, that may just be because Ididn't have the turns to do it in the first place.

To paraphrase:

action >> error message
create a map >> You don't have enough kanka; You don't have enough turns.
place a kanji >> not enough turns
do a combo >> explained above
attack another kanji >> not enough turns

Maybe you fixed it then? :D
Tegan

Postby IkimashoZ » Mon 03.27.2006 1:29 am

Yeah, I must have gotten the turns thing unintentionally. I checked the code and it still looks fine. Hmm... as long as it works, right?

About comboing other people's kanji, the game was supposed to complain about that, but when the person programming the game mistypes the name of the variable that warns the system to stop... well, yeah. So I fixed that. You should now be incapable of comboing other people's stuff.

BTW, I'm going to throw some turns and kanka at you.
Last edited by IkimashoZ on Mon 03.27.2006 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
IkimashoZ

Postby Tegan » Mon 03.27.2006 1:34 am

BTW, I'm going to throw some turns and kanka at you.

Awesome, thanks! But doesn't that override the turn cap somehow? Not that I'm complaining! :D

---

On another note, I just confirmed that I can take Kanji when I bring their hp down to zero. Not sure you needed that tested, but... I figured it was okay. Plus attacking is fun. XD
Last edited by Tegan on Mon 03.27.2006 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tegan

Postby IkimashoZ » Mon 03.27.2006 1:40 am

Tegan wrote:
On another note, I just confirmed that I can take Kanji when I bring their hp down to zero. Not sure you needed that tested, but... I figured it was okay. Plus attacking is fun. XD

I'm glad it worked for you. And I'm even happier that you're having fun. :D

[[edit]]
あっ!僕の四を盗んだ! :D
Last edited by IkimashoZ on Mon 03.27.2006 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
IkimashoZ

Postby Tegan » Mon 03.27.2006 1:43 am

Ah, on another note, now it won't let me combo my own kanji.;) Error message received was: "one or more of the kanji specified are not yours".

And I'm even happier that you're having fun.

I am! :D

---

あっ!僕の四を盗んだ!

:D
Last edited by Tegan on Mon 03.27.2006 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tegan

Postby IkimashoZ » Mon 03.27.2006 1:53 am

Tegan wrote:
Ah, on another note, now it won't let me combo my own kanji.;) Error message received was: "one or more of the kanji specified are not yours".

It should work correctly now.
IkimashoZ

Postby Tegan » Mon 03.27.2006 1:55 am

It should work correctly now.

Thanks, it does.
Tegan

Postby natemb » Mon 03.27.2006 2:31 am

This game is cool, and therefore you are cool for making it!

One bug: I just gained level 2, and went to the vocab page, and this is what it looks like:

Level 2 ( 四 , 五 , 六 , 百 )

Level 1 ( 四 , 五 , 六 , 百 )

#1 acq drummers drumming (answer censored)
#2 acq coming-of-age (answer censored)
#3 inc playstation bits
etc.

The strange things being that the level 2 kanji are now listed (in parentheses) after both 2 and 1, and also I don't see any level 2 riddles... Do I not get the level 2 riddles until I've completed all of the level 1 riddles?
natemb

Next

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips