Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - What does Santa eat in your country?

What does Santa eat in your country?

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

RE: What does Santa eat in your country?

Postby amego » Thu 03.16.2006 1:19 pm

Hmmm I don't know what Santa eats here :( But I think local delights like chicken rice should be able to work up his appetite :D
amego

Postby Machina Maw » Thu 03.23.2006 3:30 am

In Australia; we leave out cookies & milk for Santa, and lettuce or carrots for the reindeer (or at least the little kids do).

I've also heard that some kids get their parents to leave beer out for Santa on Christmas Eve... XD.
Machina Maw

Postby Zeo » Thu 03.23.2006 10:21 am

I've also heard that some kids get their parents to leave beer out for Santa on Christmas Eve... XD.

Haha! :D
Zeo

Native language: Norwegian

Postby Ashurii » Sun 04.09.2006 12:27 pm

coco wrote:
Please tell me which part of house do (did) you place on (hang up?) carots for Rudolph ?
I never knew carots are required for reindeer.:o

When I was little we'd put one shoe each on a windowsill, with carrots in it for the reindeer. It wouldn't be Christmas Eve, but a few days (? I don't remember, but I know it wasn't christmas eve! Maybe the Wednesday before Christmas Eve or something like that) before. When we woke up we'd have candy in our shoes!
Ashurii

Native language: English

Postby elXco » Sun 04.09.2006 12:59 pm

Where i live in TN no one is really obese (though we do have a couple of fatties) but then again, only a million people live where i live :)
elXco

Postby hyperconjugated » Sun 04.09.2006 1:42 pm

elXco wrote:
Where i live in TN no one is really obese (though we do have a couple of fatties) but then again, only a million people live where i live :)

http://www.naaso.org/statistics/obesity_exp_state.asp

Obsesity-% 6.4% of total adulft population of TN
Source: Obesity Research, Vol. 12, No. 1, January 2004

http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/47000.html

(Tennessee, Population, 2004 estimate 5,900,962)
Persons under 18 years old, percent, 2000 24.6%
Source: U.S census bureau

1,000,000*0,754*0,064

almost 50,000 obese adults, "couple fatties" ;)

edit: calculations
Last edited by hyperconjugated on Sun 04.09.2006 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hyperconjugated

Native language: Finnish

Postby Mori no Hana » Sun 04.09.2006 3:25 pm

Where i live in TN no one is really obese (though we do have a couple of fatties) but then again, only a million people live where i live

I live in Georgia, and I see nothing BUT fatties outside of school. They're either extremely skinny or fat. I work at a fast food restaurant, so that might contribute to the amount of fatties I see. ^^;;
Mori no Hana

Postby Seijiro Hiko » Sun 04.09.2006 3:29 pm

Santa would starve if everybody gave what we did (nothing)

however I did manage to convince my parents to leave him cookies one year (or was it brownies) in any case it was some sort of sweets:D
Seijiro Hiko

Postby queshaw » Sun 04.16.2006 6:50 am

The natives: Porridge
The adventurers: Mince pie and milk
The incorporated: Cookies and milk

Of course we leave crack and a can of aerosol cheese.
queshaw

Postby redfoxer » Sun 04.16.2006 7:18 am

Shibakoen wrote:
Takeo Saeki wrote:
What's Natto?

:o I noticed there was some explanation but I thought I'd give a little more than "If you like Blue Cheese you'll like Natto." It's completely unlike cheese, whether moldy or unmoldy. It's made of fermented soybeans and it smells like death. Not only do I like Blue Cheese, I also like goat cheese, and brie, and Oaxaca cheese, etc. but I hate Natto! It's been said in this forum that it's "an aquired taste" but honestly it's a taste I'd rather not aquire. I mean beer tastes bad, wine's not spectacular or anything, and those are acquired tastes...but none of those smell as awful as Natto.

lol, beer doesnt taste bad and im sure nattou doesnt taste of death....but i havent tried it yet. i prolly will if i had the chance *ponders about what death smells like*.

yup mince pies and milk in tha UK
and santa doesnt eat anything in my house cos he never gives me any pressies.
besides, he should be watching his weight. and doesnt he know red isnt very slimming to wear?
日本語はとても面白いと思いますよ!私は日本語が大好きです!
redfoxer

Postby Takeo Saeki » Sun 04.16.2006 8:13 pm

Some kinds of beer do taste like crap.
Takeo Saeki

Postby S-san » Sun 04.16.2006 9:44 pm

This milk and cookies thing must have been around for a long time because in all those 50's, 40's 30's etc. Christmas cartoons, it's always milk and cookies. When I was little it was always home made chacolate chip cookies, milk, and water and carrots for the reindeer.
愛  尊敬  刃  真保する  湯人  気  忠義な
                 心  
S-san

Postby S-san » Sun 04.16.2006 9:45 pm

This milk and cookies thing must have been around for a long time because in all those 50's, 40's 30's etc. Christmas cartoons, its always milk and cookies. When I was little it was always homemade chocolate chip cookies, milk, and water and carrots for the reindeer.

(sorry if this is a repeated post, the first time I posted this it wouldn't appear)
Last edited by S-san on Sun 04.16.2006 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
愛  尊敬  刃  真保する  湯人  気  忠義な
                 心  
S-san

Postby lilaznmonkee » Wed 04.19.2006 4:03 am

.___. i always assumed he ate the same in every country: milk and cookies xDD..thats what he eats in america =]]
lilaznmonkee

Postby aoisatomi » Wed 04.19.2006 4:27 am

well...again...fat USA....rich cookies and extra-fat milk...I'm exaggerating, but still....

In anycase, I really think this thread is great. It really shows you a piece of history, feelings, and culture of different lands.

Anyways, though.....my family was always a little different. Let's put it this way....Santa always got "surprisingly" just what my parents liked...(go figure?)

There would be carrots for the reindeer. Milk or hot cocoa with cookies or brownies. (depending on "Santa's" intrest of the year) As for the cookies, either they were comprised of sugar or gingerbread. Either way, a tiny source of cavities and heartattacks. ;)

I like the healthier options of other countries. But I suppose that (at least in the US) Santa is viewed as a real round guy. This makes him kinda jolly and kind looking. (don't ask how, I'm an artist and this is one of the things I learned: round people = jolly people) And, of course for kids, Santa should be jolly. Plus, it adds mystery to how Santa gets around the world so fast and down those chimneys if he's so fat. Therefore, (Aha!) the US solved the inevitable questions from children: Santa's round 'cause he likes cookies and milk! (makes sense right ;))
Last edited by aoisatomi on Wed 04.19.2006 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
aoisatomi

PreviousNext

Return to General off topic