Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Does Japan hate me?

Does Japan hate me?

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

RE: Does Japan hate me?

Postby Takeo Saeki » Mon 04.10.2006 2:51 pm

but come on: wouldn't you have a grudge against those that actually bombed your country with nuclear weapons? I would.

I wouldn't. I don't have a grudge against any Middle Eastern country, even though they purposely crashed three airplanes into three major buildings in my country as a terrorist attack (which is just as bad as hitting us with nuclear weapons). I do dislike the ones actually responsible, but not their whole races and countries. I believe Osama bin Laden deserves a bullet between the eyes (in fact, i'd pay to see it happen), but I pity the rest of the Afghan people, being that they live in such a poor and desolate country, ravaged by years of war.
Takeo Saeki

Postby spank » Mon 04.10.2006 4:08 pm

The Manhattan Project rocks!!!
I'm sorry about what happened to the Japanese civilians though. Buddha rest their souls.

I'm glad that the US defeated Japan in WWII, otherwise my country probably wouldn't exist.
spank

Postby Cj » Mon 04.10.2006 4:53 pm

Yeah, don't tend hold grudges and I can be very patient. I don't blame the current people of a nation for a past action or mistake. It would be much more simpler if things could go that way. Everyone does have there opinion though so no biggie.
Msgwar Rules!
Taa ya Kenya - 'Light of Kenya'
Kamon "Pinky" Orcher, Pilot of the MBF-02 Strike Rouge
Leader of the 1st & 2nd Division Rouge Squad

Cj

Postby Takeo Saeki » Mon 04.10.2006 4:55 pm

I agree with Cj.
Takeo Saeki

Postby aoisatomi » Mon 04.10.2006 5:52 pm

Well, let me tell you about my experience with the Japanese. They are kinda obsessed with Americans. (I don't really know why...) But for the most part, if you're an American, they will get really excited (or shy).

Anyways, they are very hospitable, respectful, and kind. They will always be willing to help if they can. They will want to try to speak English with you to get better, which makes sense because it is mandatory for them to learn the language, but they don't have much real-life experience.

Now, yes. There may be some prejudice. There is everywhere you go in the world. Everybody has a problem with somebody. I find that it is mostly the older generation that has a problem with foreigners (i.e. Americans.) To be frank, it is hostility left over from WWII. Who can blame them for feeling upset. If you look at America, "white" people tend to be somewhat prejudice to Japanese because of Pearl Harbor. But this is all completly stupid. After all, it wasn't the people who really did that, it was the governments who made the decisions. The people were the ones who sufferred. It also depends on a person's background, like how they were raised. For example, I was raised in a wholesome family and I am not a prejudice person. My grandfather was tortured by the Japanese, but I still love the country and its people with all my heart. I am NOT going to just blame any Japanese person I see for what happened to my grandfather. However, not all people think like that.

Well, back from that rabbit-trail.... (^_^) When I went to a Japanese elementary school (note: I look 1/2 Japanese and speak, read, and write it....so I'm not the typical "foreigner") the kids gathered around me and we did oragami together. They brought me food and played their recorders and sang for me. Later, when I was leaving them, the kids of the family I was with wouldn't stop crying. I can remember the woman cry, too.

The tenderness and love I felt from Japan could be a reflection from the love I have for it. I suppose the moral of this is, if you show a true effort and have a great liking for their country, it will be evident without words and people will react, sometimes without realizing.

I was terrified as well from the rumors I had heard, but you really have to go and find the truth for yourself. I could go on and on...(but it would be too long :P)

Anyways, good luck in Japan!!! Ganbatte ne!
aoisatomi

Postby Takeo Saeki » Mon 04.10.2006 5:58 pm

Extremely well said, aoisatomi. :D
Takeo Saeki

Postby aoisatomi » Mon 04.10.2006 7:10 pm

Thank you very much Takeo Saeki-san. (BTW, your quote at the bottom....from 3rd Rock? :D)
aoisatomi

Postby Sachi » Mon 04.10.2006 7:20 pm

Takeo Saeki wrote:
but come on: wouldn't you have a grudge against those that actually bombed your country with nuclear weapons? I would.

I wouldn't. I don't have a grudge against any Middle Eastern country, even though they purposely crashed three airplanes into three major buildings in my country as a terrorist attack (which is just as bad as hitting us with nuclear weapons). I do dislike the ones actually responsible, but not their whole races and countries. I believe Osama bin Laden deserves a bullet between the eyes (in fact, i'd pay to see it happen), but I pity the rest of the Afghan people, being that they live in such a poor and desolate country, ravaged by years of war.

I just have to say... Very well said, and I agree entirely :)

aoisatomi rote:

My grandfather was tortured by the Japanese, but I still love the country and its people with all my heart. I am NOT going to just blame any Japanese person I see for what happened to my grandfather. However, not all people think like that.

Again, I agree. My grandfather was captured and tortured (only by the Germans, not the Japanese), but does that mean I hate all Germans? Of course not! I love my Grandfather and greatly respect him, and I've actually been interested in learning a little German.
Last edited by Sachi on Mon 04.10.2006 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sachi

Postby kanadajin » Mon 04.10.2006 8:51 pm

Man Everyone keeps beating me to saying something..
well, all im saying is that I'm black.
I was just going to say that.. lol

i dont' get why people think america is the ultimate place to be...

A lot of people DONT like america... not saying i don't I really have no problem with the U.S.A, I have a problem with individuals who make fun of canada.. But back to the point, Some people would consider america the WORST place to live, one reason would be crime rate.
kanadajin

Postby Takeo Saeki » Mon 04.10.2006 9:17 pm

Thank you very much Takeo Saeki-san.

You're welcome. :)

(BTW, your quote at the bottom....from 3rd Rock? :D)

LOL Indeed it is. From one of my favorite episodes.
Takeo Saeki

Postby songoku17 » Mon 04.10.2006 9:29 pm

I dont think Japanese people are racist from what I have seen and experienced they are friendly and generous. So maybe one or two maybe not like you but it doesnt mean their racist they just have not had the chance to know you and they maybe frieghtend to speak to you because they may not know your language. Never believe all those stories, because they are probably just rumors. Never give in to the darkness try to see the goodness in every person.
songoku17

Postby shikamarufoo » Tue 04.11.2006 12:00 am

Wow thanks to everyone who posted, I learned much about Japan...So people there are mostly friendly and do welcome other races (though there can be racists, it is very rare) right:)~
shikamarufoo

Postby Lauver » Tue 04.11.2006 2:50 am

Mandrake wrote:On the plane I sat with a girl named Hitomi who did nothing but complement me on strange things, such as my use of chopsticks (don’t ask me…I didn’t see it as a big deal.).

When I sat down to drink coffee people would smile and wave as they passed…unless they were a group of Japanese girls. They tended to giggle with each other and wave.

A group of children on an outing with school yelled ‘Hello’, in English, to me for no reason.

When I got lost and kept walking the same street, I was quickly helped by a friendly Japanese woman.
-- women are always at rescue all the time 'round _in the planet_think 'bout Cleopatra *remind*

Hatori wrote:i bet they aren't mean to people on the street anyways ^_^.
-- anyways Hatori San..i cant say neither promise anything that 1 person, if puzzled to go to a salon or a hospital,may either be misled to the hospital instead of a salon OR might be thinking ''ee i m in a salon'' while he will find in a total position of smelling meds in the room, he is in!;)

N.B.-- i donnno if this kinda thing happens allover the Planet!:D
*i just lauve u*
Lauver

Postby Frumious Boojum » Tue 04.11.2006 9:37 am

A woman I work with, she has a Japanese friend. Well, apparently this Japanese friend told her that in Japan, they have a perception of blacks in the US still being in slavery, picking cotton, and all that....

I find this hard to believe. With everything in the media portraying anything but slaves, how could this possibly be? I know they get enough American product that they should know better....

Is this based off of an older perception or do some actually still think this way? I could understand maybe the older generations having that perception since movies that portrayed slavery were much more common in the 30s-50s than they are now.
Frumious Boojum

Postby keatonatron » Tue 04.11.2006 9:48 am

That's not at all a wide perception in Japan!

Many Japanese people think most African Americans can rap and carry guns, but none of them think they are slaves!
keatonatron

Native language: English

PreviousNext

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan