Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Miyazaki Hayao

Miyazaki Hayao

Anything relating to Anime or Manga - what's new, what you like, etc...

RE: Miyazaki Hayao

Postby Datadog » Wed 04.06.2005 9:52 pm

"Princess Mononoke" would probably stand as my favorite from him as well as one of my overall favorite movies. I also own "Spirited Away" and "My Neighbor Totoro," and have had the opportunity to see both "Kiki's Delivery Service" and "Castle in the Sky."

Is it just me, or does it seem like Disney's "Atlantis" was almost a direct rip-off of "Castle in the Sky?"

Also, it might interest some people here to know that "Kiki" is being remade in a live-action format in Hollywood. Any opinions on that?
Datadog

Postby Chan » Wed 04.06.2005 11:25 pm

i really liked all Miyazaki movies and i have watched all of them including the newest one which is released in Japan..."Hauru no Ugoku Shiro" literally translated to Howl's Moving Castle....but my favourite is Laputa-Castle in the Sky...the main reason is cuz the OST for the movie is just sooo sweet!! Kiki's Delivery Service is pretty good too! and yes, Cat's Return is also extremely well put together!! i liked the part where Haru gets turned into this kitty... its just so hard to choose one single favourite movie cuz they're all just so nice!!!
Chan

Postby Chan » Wed 04.06.2005 11:25 pm

i really liked all Miyazaki movies and i have watched all of them including the newest one which is released in Japan..."Hauru no Ugoku Shiro" literally translated to Howl's Moving Castle....but my favourite is Laputa-Castle in the Sky...the main reason is cuz the OST for the movie is just sooo sweet!! Kiki's Delivery Service is pretty good too! and yes, Cat's Return is also extremely well put together!! i liked the part where Haru gets turned into this kitty... its just so hard to choose one single favourite movie cuz they're all just so nice!!!
Chan

Postby Kei » Wed 04.06.2005 11:47 pm

They are ok but I found that princess mononoke was a bit to disney like. Correct me if I'm wrong but there was something missing from the other anime I've seen. Maybe a bit too western like at some parts.
Last edited by Kei on Wed 04.06.2005 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
はじめまして ^_^;
Kei

Postby Datadog » Thu 04.07.2005 11:30 am

Did you watch in it's original Japanese format?
Datadog

Postby ShinDig » Thu 04.07.2005 11:55 am

whats so up with disney? just outa interest!
ShinDig

Postby dreamingxashley » Thu 04.07.2005 12:12 pm

Kei wrote:
They are ok but I found that princess mononoke was a bit to disney like. Correct me if I'm wrong but there was something missing from the other anime I've seen. Maybe a bit too western like at some parts.

Heresy!! lol. I wasnt a big fan of Mononoke, but theres absolutely no way it can be confused as slop produced by Disney. Watch Miyazaki's movies in Japanese if you can, I think they might have English subtitles on them... or if you cant do that, get the American release and watch it with the Japanese audio/english subs. :)
--Ashley
dreamingxashley

Postby Kei » Thu 04.07.2005 12:48 pm

I didn't say it was disney. It was just my way of saying that it was made to look more appealing to the general US audience. So it became a little different from other anime. That's all. I saw the version released in the US maybe that's why.
はじめまして ^_^;
Kei

Postby Elumi » Thu 04.07.2005 1:29 pm

I've seen Princess Mononoke (Jap and Eng version). I like the Japanese version better. Maybe Miyasaki finds it easier to reach international audience through Disney... or Disney is trying to grab talented artist like Miyazaki for their benefit.

Hey, how come I can't find a copy of Miyasaki's box collection? I would like that-- ;)
-=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=-
Saru mo ki kara ochiru
(Even Monkeys fall from trees)
Elumi

Postby dreamingxashley » Thu 04.07.2005 1:58 pm

No offense meant Kei, I wasnt being terribly serious. Id like to have a box-set of his works too.
--Ashley
dreamingxashley

Postby Kei » Thu 04.07.2005 10:27 pm

dreamingxashley wrote:
No offense meant Kei, I wasnt being terribly serious. Id like to have a box-set of his works too.

Oh don't worry I didn't take it like that. I think it's a great movie. I just have a hard time considering it completely anime.
はじめまして ^_^;
Kei

Postby Datadog » Fri 04.08.2005 8:41 pm

Miyazaki is a man of his own style. I'd compare him to the original Walt Disney only in terms of influence, but his animation directing far exceeds anything Disney (the old or the new) does. I think you're comparing the two simply on the basis that they each use more animation cells than regular anime.

How it worked was that before Miyazaki's movies came to North America, several other companies had approached him, but he had refused to sell his movies to them. He was actually waiting for Disney for make an offer for some reason.

But comparing the two companies can be pretty vague, considering that the Disney companies themselves actually use Miyazaki movies as reference when they're animating and still can't bring themselves up to that level of characterization.
Datadog

Postby safaia-chan » Tue 04.11.2006 2:43 pm

I love his movies ^^
Winrii-san wa baka desu. XD
safaia-chan

Postby Frumious Boojum » Tue 04.11.2006 3:19 pm

This thread confuses me...

For one thing, Pixar hasn't broken up with Disney. Eisner left and Disney bought Pixar. Deal is being finalized, but this means Steve Jobs on the board of Directors and John Lasseter having a BIG role in ALL animation AND imagineering for now on.

Second, Disney has never taken the credit for ANY of the Ghibli Films. Disney has done some great releases for the Ghibli films and has not censored any of them a bit (can you imagine Pom Poko tamed down for the family?). Disney's logo isn't appearing before the films -- it says Ghibli. Disney is merely the producer of the Englsih dub, English DVD special features, and is the distributor. That is the only thing Disney can claim.

So, yeah... don't blame Disney for things they're not doing. They already have to cleam up enough of Eisner's mess without stuff like this adding to it.
Frumious Boojum

Postby Sukebe Uchuujin » Tue 04.11.2006 4:00 pm

[center]Grave Of The Fireflies........

*sobs*........and then *cries*[/center]
Sukebe Uchuujin

PreviousNext

Return to Anime and Manga Discussions